Old January 20th 08, 05:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Trying to ID a relay

I have an IC-720, and in the SWR unit is a small, DPDT PC mount
relay. Well, it's intermittent so I called Icom to order another.
Guess what, they don't stock them anymore.

On the top of the relay, is the company logo, which is a Horizontal
Bar over the letter F over another bar at the bottom. My obvious
guess would be Fujitsu.

The number on the relay is: 221D012 Which I guess to mean

12 Volts and I know it's DPDT

The Icom parts list show it as type : BR221D012

Anyone know how I could locate a replacement? It appears to be a
standard PC Mount DPDT, but the switching mechanism seen through
the clear cover is like none I have seen, and I'm kinda reluctant to
open it up, as I may make it worse.

THe relay is part of the antenna ATTENUATOR circuit, which is kinda
unusual. The unit contains a broadband RF amp consisting of 2 each
2SK125 FET's in push pull. The purpose of the relay is to bypass the
RF Amp, which is supposed to be a constant gain 10 DB broadband
amp - supposedly inserting 10 db of attenuation in the input.

The thing never did work correctly since I bought the thing new when
they first came out. Now the antenna path is getting intermittent, so
would like to replace the whole relay.

Anyone have any ideas on where to find one? I thought perhaps someone
may be parting out a 720?

Thanks for any help,

Jim,, WA5DXP

Old January 21st 08, 10:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"wa5dxp" wrote in message
Thanks for any help,

Jim,, WA5DXP

Hello Jim

Is this package the same pinout spacing as a standard 14-pin DIP IC?

Those are fairly unversal parts, the pinouts should be the same between
brands.

If the relay has a clear plastic snap-on cover, a gentle cleaning with a
non-residue
contact cleaner such as DeOxid will usually bring them back to life. I just
finished
doing that treatment to every relay in my FT-726, mainboards and modules!

Otherwise, solder in replacements should be available from NTE Electronics,
Inc.
(check their online catalog for relay products), or from DigiKey or Mouser.
I think
even RadioShack carried them a few years back...

Pete k1zjh

Old January 22nd 08, 02:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

In article ,
wa5dxp wrote:
I have an IC-720, and in the SWR unit is a small, DPDT PC mount
relay. Well, it's intermittent so I called Icom to order another.
Guess what, they don't stock them anymore.

[...]
The number on the relay is: 221D012 Which I guess to mean

[...]
Anyone have any ideas on where to find one? I thought perhaps someone
may be parting out a 720?

Jim,
RF Parts has them on their relay page.

http://www.rfparts.com/relay.html

73,
Ted, W1XO

Old January 23rd 08, 12:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Dear Pete;

When I did a search on the relay I came across an article I think on
the Yaesu rig you mention, and it appears that rig uses the same
relay, and it appears to be a common problem with the relays in that
rig. They suggested either gold plating the thing (very elaborate
process) or there was an article by a foreign ham on subistutiing
another OMRON relay using a 14 pin dip socket for the replacement
base and soldering the OMRON in via wires, etc.

I never heard of DeOxid but will try to find it, would be nice to have
in the shack. Ted in following message located one in a catalog.

Yes, the cover does come off, and I tried cleaning the contacts with
paper, and it worked just fine. After I put it all back together
again it got intermittent again. The mechanism is very unsual to any
relay I have ever seen.

If I can get the replacment then can work on the orignal using the
testing mentioned in the above article. The contact resistance should
be less than 1 Milliohm according to the article.if I remember right.

Thanks for your response.

Jim

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 17:47:11 -0500, "Tio Pedro"
wrote:

.. .

Old January 24th 08, 02:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

wa5dxp wrote:
Dear Pete;

[snip]
I never heard of DeOxid but will try to find it, would be nice to have
in the shack. Ted in following message located one in a catalog.

[snip]
Thanks for your response.

Jim

Typo alert! It's "DeOxit" you want to find. It's manufactured by Caig
Laboratories in San Diego: http://www.caig.com/. I have a very old can of
their "D5 Connector & Contact Treatment" that works well.
73,
Bryan WA7PRC

Old February 1st 08, 11:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
cbx cbx is offline

Hi Ted;

I got the relay yesterday and installed it, all back to
normal operation, thanks to your leading me to the
replacement part.

Jim, WA5DXP

On 22 Jan 2008 14:23:09 GMT, (Ted Zateslo) wrote:

In article ,
wa5dxp wrote:
I have an IC-720, and in the SWR unit is a small, DPDT PC mount
relay. Well, it's intermittent so I called Icom to order another.
Guess what, they don't stock them anymore.

[...]
The number on the relay is: 221D012 Which I guess to mean

[...]
Anyone have any ideas on where to find one? I thought perhaps someone
may be parting out a 720?

Jim,
RF Parts has them on their relay page.

http://www.rfparts.com/relay.html

73,
Ted, W1XO

FS Dow-Key TR Relay David Thompson Boatanchors 1 July 7th 05 03:47 AM
No Faulkland Island BBCWS Relay Station after 1970's = Faulklands War. There still is not SW Relay Station, and Ascension's coverage is not great... Max Power Shortwave 1 December 15th 04 11:36 AM
(want to buy) doe-key relay Mike Swap 0 June 23rd 04 09:09 AM
( want to buy ) dow-key relay Mike Boatanchors 0 June 23rd 04 09:06 AM
Dow Key Relay Vinnie Swap 0 February 24th 04 03:07 AM