Old February 14th 08, 01:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.antiques.radio+phono

Default Bliley BG9D 100 kHz (kc) Glass Octal Crystal

Okay, so I broke down and got a couple of Bliley glass octal 100 Kc
frequency standard crystal, model BG9D.

Now I am looking for data on this part. Google doesn't turn up
anything, other than some nice photos
(http://www.leapsecond.com/museum/ear...00khz-tube.jpg)

Anyone have a data sheet on this thing?

It is easy to hook up, but it would be nice to know what drive level
and load it was optimized for.

TIA.

Steve.
--
Steven D. Swift, , http://www.novatech-instr.com
NOVATECH INSTRUMENTS, INC. P.O. Box 55997

Old February 14th 08, 09:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.antiques.radio+phono

Steven Swift wrote:
Okay, so I broke down and got a couple of Bliley glass octal 100 Kc
frequency standard crystal, model BG9D.

Now I am looking for data on this part. Google doesn't turn up
anything, other than some nice photos
(http://www.leapsecond.com/museum/ear...00khz-tube.jpg)

Anyone have a data sheet on this thing?

It is easy to hook up, but it would be nice to know what drive level
and load it was optimized for.

TIA.

Steve.

I could only suggest your searching for an old Allied Radio
catalog. I remember seeing Bliley as one of the brands
listed, and there were usually parameters there. You
wouldn't be too wrong with an ARRL Handbook circuit, if
you're going "tube." There's enough "wiggle room" in the
tolerances. Tube-type pre-PLL decade dividers, mixers, and
multipliers weren't even twinkles in the designers' eyes
when those xtals were ground.

W9NPI
Old February 15th 08, 12:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.antiques.radio+phono

afcsman writes:

Steven Swift wrote:
[...]

Thanks.

I found some pin-out and some simple info. I didn't think of any old
Allied catalog.

Old February 15th 08, 03:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.antiques.radio+phono

(Steven Swift) writes:

I found some pin-out and some simple info. I didn't think of any old
Allied catalog.
--
Steven D. Swift,
, http://www.novatech-instr.com
NOVATECH INSTRUMENTS, INC. P.O. Box 55997
206.301.8986, fax 206.363.4367 Seattle, Washington 98155 USA

I want to thank all those who helped, especially Dana at the Bliley
corporation who sent me this:

http://novatech-instr.com/Fun/BG9DS.pdf

Same pin out as the octal crystals used in the BC-221 (DC-9) and others.

Building a 70 C oven will be kind of fun.

I wonder how good it will check against the GPS locked Rubidium standards
at work.

Actually, it was Meshna surplus who caused my fixation on prefect frequency
with his "10 FT-243 Crystals for $1" many years ago. Postage was cheap in
the 60s.

Thanks again.

Steve.

Old February 15th 08, 04:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.antiques.radio+phono

Steven Swift wrote:
(Steven Swift) writes:

[...]

Meshna. Yeah, he's why I learned to spread grit & water
over a piece of glass, use a figure-8 motion 6 times, turn
the quartz square 90 degrees, repeat the figure-8 motion,
etc. Mom wouldn't let me play with Hydrofluoric Acid, for
some lame reason. Even drilled & tapped some FT-243 holders
to vary pressure on the spring so I could VXO on 15-meters.
THAT Meshna...
--W9NPI, ex-KN8***

Old February 15th 08, 05:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.antiques.radio+phono

In article ,
Jeffrey D Angus wrote:

Steven Swift wrote:
I want to thank all those who helped, especially Dana at the Bliley
corporation who sent me this:

http://novatech-instr.com/Fun/BG9DS.pdf

Now I know I want to find another one of these. I think I've seen one
in my stash upstairs.

A couple of years ago I was working on a crystal oscillator and watched
as the one I had rolled off of the bench and went "Pock!" as it hit the
floor.

Somewhere in my stash I have a similar 100 kc octal crystal except that
it has a metal envelope, sort of like a 6L6, rather than glass, and IIRC
it has a military part number of some sort.

So the question is, what are these good for, can they be converted into
a useful project of any sort?

Regards,

John Byrns

Old February 15th 08, 06:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.antiques.radio+phono

John Byrns ) writes:
In article ,
Jeffrey D Angus wrote:

Steven Swift wrote:
I want to thank all those who helped, especially Dana at the Bliley
corporation who sent me this:

http://novatech-instr.com/Fun/BG9DS.pdf

Now I know I want to find another one of these. I think I've seen one
in my stash upstairs.

A couple of years ago I was working on a crystal oscillator and watched
as the one I had rolled off of the bench and went "Pock!" as it hit the
floor.

Somewhere in my stash I have a similar 100 kc octal crystal except that
it has a metal envelope, sort of like a 6L6, rather than glass, and IIRC
it has a military part number of some sort.

So the question is, what are these good for, can they be converted into
a useful project of any sort?

Well you make a 100KHz crystal calibrator so you can get a better idea
of where your analog radio is tuned.

I'm still wondering why these are in tube type cases. It almost suggest
they are better than average crystals, and makes me wonder if they actually
have some sort of heater built in.

I actually have a 1MHz crystal that does have a heater element. Big metal
thing, though I can't remember if there's a thermostat there. It's from
an AM broadcast band transmitter.

Michael VE2BVW

Old February 15th 08, 06:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.antiques.radio+phono

On Feb 13, 7:52*pm, (Steven Swift) wrote:
Okay, so I broke down and got a couple of Bliley glass octal 100 Kc
frequency standard crystal, model BG9D.

Now I am looking for data on this part. Google doesn't turn up
anything, other than some nice photos
(http://www.leapsecond.com/museum/ear...00khz-tube.jpg)

Anyone have a data sheet on this thing?

I just googled bliley and they have a nice website.

Have you tried contacting Bliley directly?

www.bliley.com

Old February 15th 08, 07:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.antiques.radio+phono

On 2/15/08 7:54 AM, in article , "Steven Swift"
wrote:

(Steven Swift) writes:

I found some pin-out and some simple info. I didn't think of any old
Allied catalog.
--
Steven D. Swift,
, http://www.novatech-instr.com
NOVATECH INSTRUMENTS, INC. P.O. Box 55997
206.301.8986, fax 206.363.4367 Seattle, Washington 98155 USA

I want to thank all those who helped, especially Dana at the Bliley
corporation who sent me this:

http://novatech-instr.com/Fun/BG9DS.pdf

Same pin out as the octal crystals used in the BC-221 (DC-9) and others.

Building a 70 C oven will be kind of fun.

I wonder how good it will check against the GPS locked Rubidium standards
at work.

You aren't serious I hope. "Good" will not be observed in the contrast.

Old February 15th 08, 07:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.antiques.radio+phono

On 2/15/08 10:26 AM, in article ,
"Jeffrey D Angus" wrote:

John Byrns ) writes:
I'm still wondering why these are in tube type cases. It almost suggest
they are better than average crystals, and makes me wonder if they actually
have some sort of heater built in.

They're just a bit better than the tall HC/6-U crystal holder. And less
prone to enviromental issues than the FT-243 type holders.

The "tube" versions usually don't have a heater built in.

So the question is, what are these good for, can they be converted into
a useful project of any sort?

With the availability of crystal oscillator assemblies having better
than 10^-12 stability and and accuracy, there's not much you can use
one of these old crystals for.

A crystal oscillator will not achieve 10^-12 on its own. 10^-12 is the
stability of a Stratum II atomic clock.

That being said, they're fun to set up
with a square wave output so you can use them as a "calibrator" for
a SW radio at the 100 KHz markings.

Michael Black wrote:
I actually have a 1MHz crystal that does have a heater element. Big metal
thing, though I can't remember if there's a thermostat there. It's from
an AM broadcast band transmitter.

Michael VE2BVW

That is a typical oven type which is used as a reference oscillator.
The ovens came in two separate versions, for the most part, they had
the oven and control built in. A few of them just had a heating element
and temperature probe.

Jeff