Old February 24th 08, 08:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Need SP600 JX-17 Front Panel Repainted

Need SP600 JX-17 Front Panel Repainted
Does anyone here restore front panels on
a SP-600 JX-17?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.Rich KF2GG

Old February 24th 08, 10:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

wrote in message
Need SP600 JX-17 Front Panel Repainted
Does anyone here restore front panels on
a SP-600 JX-17?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.Rich KF2GG

Try following some of the links at
http://www.hammarlund.info/

I also wanted to suggest Andy Moorer's site but either
its down at the moment or gone. There are links to it from
the above site. Moorer does not take on outside work but
probably knows who does good refinishing.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old February 26th 08, 10:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Richard Knoppow wrote:
snip...

Some paint places have color analysers that can
determine a mixture to duplicate samples. I've not heard of
anyone using this for radio equipment but the idea occurs to
me. Of course, the paint would not be in spray cans but
brushed paint can be quite uniform and there are small, not
too expensive sprayers.
I wonder if anyone out there has tried this.

Absolutely! I regularly use an automotive paint supplier here in the
MD/DC area (McHenry, specifically). They have MIL and FEDSPEC chip
books, all automotive color books, as well as a color densitometer.
They can batch in spray cans or in bulk. The only thing they can't
(won't?) do are things like wrinkle* or hammertone. So far, they've
done a respectable job on most anything I can provide a sample of; e.g.:
EFJ, Heath, Hallicrafters, and all varieties of MIL OD and grey. I'm
sure any reputable automotive parts supplier in your area, with a good
paint department, can do the job for you, to include spray cans.
de K3HVG

* for black wrinkle I use Pep Boys.

Old February 29th 08, 03:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Richard Knoppow wrote:

Nelson Gietz wrote:

Rich wrote:
Need SP600 JX-17 Front Panel Repainted
Does anyone here restore front panels on
a SP-600 JX-17?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.Rich KF2GG

Rich,
You can do the job yourself. I have the same model,
and redid the front
panel. As I recall I stripped it, and used emery and
steel wool to get an
even
finish. I then used the nearest match I could find in a
metal spray paint
and
coated the entire panel. The lettering etc is stamped-in
on this one, so
very
careful work with a paint pen restored that. Over all, I
clearcoated it.
It may not be "exactly" correct in color, and may be a
little glossier
than
original, but it looks very good. I wasn't trying for a
museum restoration,
though.
Hope this helps.
Nelson

Some paint places have color analysers that can
determine a mixture to duplicate samples. I've not heard of
anyone using this for radio equipment but the idea occurs to
me. Of course, the paint would not be in spray cans but
brushed paint can be quite uniform and there are small, not
too expensive sprayers.
I wonder if anyone out there has tried this.

--
---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA

If one isn't using rattle-cans, NAPA has an aerosol paint sprayer made by
Preval in their Balkamp line (pn BK 7705030). It holds 16oz of paint. The
recharge kit is pn BK 7705031. I used it to apply negative etch-resist
(fancy photosensitive enamel paint) to blank PC boards, and the results were
excellent. It's been a long time since I used that setup but, at that time,
it wasn't expensive. Applying the paint to surfaces that are first
"scuffed" w/ steel wool (or Scotchbrite) & then degreased goes a long way
toward the finished product's appearance. Slightly warming the part allows
you to spend less time between coats.

73,
Bryan WA7PRC

C-B 87 front panel Ron in Radio Heaven Boatanchors 1 November 1st 05 03:25 AM
SP600 Panel restoration service Francesco Sartorello Boatanchors 5 October 23rd 04 08:38 AM
WTB: Front Panel Roberto IZ5FCY Swap 0 March 18th 04 03:49 PM
WTB Front Panel for DL-1 Joel Levine and Barbara Pickell Boatanchors 0 October 4th 03 03:12 AM
WTB Front Panel for DL-1 Joel Levine and Barbara Pickell Boatanchors 0 October 4th 03 03:12 AM