Old March 11th 08, 04:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default hallicrafters sx-146 repair

Hello,
I'm repairing the SX-146 receiver. First problem was the transformer
rewound for 220V primary that has been changed to an autotransformer,
with the obvious problems. Now I'm rewinding it as a transformer again
maintaining the 220V primary. Can anyone tell me what's the secondary
HT voltage supposed to be?
Counting the turns it appears to be 170V, but if someone can measure
it I'd appreciate it.

Then I'll have to reconnect a good amount of broken wires, but this
should be easy with the aid of the schematic.

Also the unit lacks all optional xtals and filters, any chance I can
find these xtals and filters anywhere nowadays?
Thank you and best 73 de

IZ8DWF Francesco
Old May 24th 08, 05:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Francesco,

Have you been able to find anyone to help you with your SX-146? If not, I
may be able to.

First, please advise if you are attempting to rewire your transformer TO a
220 volt primary or change it FROM 220 V back to 120 VAC? At 120 VAC the
high voltage output of the transformer is 165 volts AC.

I have owned and operated an SX-146 since 1966 and just this last year
filled all of the optional slots. For the missing crystals contact Mel. at
MH Electronics in California. He will cut you a superb quality crystal in
HC-6 or HC-17 cases for only $18. Email him at or call 909
989 1976. I've ordered from him twice in the last couple months and his
turnaround has always been less than a week. He's a great alternative.Tell
him I sent you.

I have found exact replacement crystal filters on eBay. Keep watching. I
found mine for $5 apiece. I don't believe the sellers even know what they
are. Use search words such as "FILTER 6 KC" "FILTER .5 KC" "CRYSTAL 6 KC"
and "CRYSTAL .5 KC". Eventually you will find them.

By the way, I built a crystal calibrator using the schematic in the SX-146
manual. The original Hallicrafters socket is probably problematic although I
found a professional microphone plug that used pins very close to those on
the jack on the SX-146 chassis. Short of finding something like I did you
might try just replacing the SX-146 crystal calibrator jack with one that is
more compatible with the plug you install on your homebrew crystal
calibrator.

Good luck.

73 DE W9STB

OLD TV REPAIR TOOLS-permapower huebrite picture tube brightener-6-page tv set service tips tube replacement book-sylvania techs handheld colorviewer tool-vintage repair shop cleanout-$10 Dwight D. Eisenhower Swap 0 December 19th 07 01:17 PM
HF-225 repair RM MS Shortwave 5 April 5th 05 03:35 AM
Repair or Buy New FireStarter5 Shortwave 15 March 26th 05 10:14 AM
FS Hallicrafters SX-28 radio, 2 Cases and a large Hallicrafters Speaker Who Swap 1 October 10th 03 07:53 PM
FS Hallicrafters BC-610-II have a Hallicrafters BC-610I that looks like it has not many hours usage. It has been stored for about 15 years until discovered by me a few days ago. The cabinet is in excellent shape for a 60 year old rig. Three tubes ac5tx Boatanchors 0 July 28th 03 11:30 PM