Old January 6th 09, 04:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default 30L6GT equivalent to 50L6GT

In article ,
Bill M wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
Richard Knoppow wrote:
The 50L6 is NOT a relative of the 6L6. It is a pentode
power tube with 10 watts of plate dissipation compared to 19
watts for a 6L6. The 6L6 puts out about 2.5 times the power
when operating as a single tube Class-1A aplifier. Other
characteristics are also different.

Yeesh! That is not good at all! That is a very misleading number in
that case.

What about the 25L6 then? I have pitched a lot of 25L6 tubes
over the years because they showed low transconductance compared with a 6L6.

Personal opinion of mine...I think the * manufacturers* intended a
35/50L6 to be a DESIGN replacement for the old 6L6 as applied to AA5
50s-60s radios. Walks the same walk but its a 150 volt tube.

I pulled out the HB-3 for this and wow... it sure IS different. Only
8.5 watts dissipation, versus 14 for even the baby 6V6.

No question about it....its not very closely related if you're looking
from a conventional 6L6 perspective. 25L6 is sort of a different animal
not related to either of the two.

According to the HB-3, the 25L6 has ten watts which is a bit more than the
50L6. Mine does not have a page for the 35L6 but there is a note saying
the 35B5 is an equivalent.
--scott
Old January 7th 09, 10:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

110VDC on ships, Oh yes! Partner and I repairing radar
on one such ship, bravely plugged in our trusty Weller
soldering gun and pulled the trigger. Nothing for a few
seconds, and then a little curl of smoke. When trigger
was released, it hissed, breathing fire and sparks out of ALL
the air cooling vent slots. Throwing it on the deck and
stomping on it only aggravated the fireworks. Stone
faced Skipper calmly pulled plug from wall, and I think
he lost some admiration of our technical competence.
Old Chief Lynn, W7LTQ

Heh heh! Been there and done that. As the civilian navigator on the
USNS Keithly (a re-commissioned and converted Navy cargo ship)in the
late 60's, we had a number of newly-graduated "scientists" on board.
The scientific and comms spaces had been converted via MG's for
120/240VAC. The staterooms were still 110DC. I shared a room with one
such newby and, seeing that my Norelco shaver worked just fine, he
plugged in his early style portable record player/radio/amp. When
turned on, the requisite curl of smoke and bad odor emanated, ending the
machine's life, early. I probably would not have liked his music,
anyway. The thing is, you really had to force the plug into those DC
sockets. As I recall, they're not quite the same as standard two-blade
ac plugs.

de K3HVG

Old January 7th 09, 10:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"K3HVG" wrote in message

[...]

My now very distant memory is that DC outlets had
either one prong perpendicular to the other or both
"horrizontal" where standard sockets are parallel and
"vertical". Occasionally, one sees sockets made to
accomodate either type of plug. I think 220V sockets also
had some variation of this pattern. Plugging 120V stuff into
220 will also get some interesting, although short lived,
results.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles
WB6KBL

Old January 8th 09, 01:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

My now very distant memory is that DC outlets had
either one prong perpendicular to the other or both
"horrizontal" where standard sockets are parallel and
"vertical". Occasionally, one sees sockets made to
accomodate either type of plug. I think 220V sockets also
had some variation of this pattern. Plugging 120V stuff into
220 will also get some interesting, although short lived,
results.

I've certainly seen those plugs. The original 28v DC accessory outlets
in our CAP-converted M-135 ambulance had the one plug rotated 90 deg
from the other to prevent problems. The thing is, at least on that ship,
I was able to get the shaver plug into the socket.. as was the other
guy?? Maybe one blade was much wider? I simply can't remember...

de K3HVG