Old March 22nd 09, 08:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default B&W 5100, SX-101 combo

Any comments, just ended up owning these two
boatanchors...

Old March 22nd 09, 09:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Mar 22, 3:24*pm, "Unca Pete" wrote:
Any comments, just ended up owning these two
boatanchors...

Welcome to the double hernia club, Pete!! I got a 5100 in an estate
sale 7 or 8 years ago and decided since I couldn't lift it, I didn't
need it. I sold it without ever trying it out. It had the sideband
box bolted on the side and weighed a ton. --Ed
Old March 22nd 09, 09:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

wrote in message
On Mar 22, 3:24 pm, "Unca Pete" wrote:
Any comments, just ended up owning these two
boatanchors...

Welcome to the double hernia club, Pete!! I got a 5100 in an estate
sale 7 or 8 years ago and decided since I couldn't lift it, I didn't
need it. I sold it without ever trying it out. It had the sideband
box bolted on the side and weighed a ton. --Ed

Hi Ed! From what I'm reading on the net, the 5100 is a keeper.
That SSB adapter is rare, rare... Wish one came with mine. But,
the Heath SB-10 could be made to work, I guess.

Don't have a lot of room, so some of the wood beasts have to!
Not too sure on the SX-101, have you played with one? Not
overly fond of the Hallicrafters RX line on this end...

Pete

Old March 22nd 09, 09:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Mar 22, 4:18*pm, "Unca Pete" wrote:
Not too sure on the SX-101, have you played with one? Not
overly fond of the Hallicrafters RX line on this end...

===========
The SX-101 is one Hallicrafters I haven't had my hands on yet. --Ed

Old March 22nd 09, 10:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

wrote in message
On Mar 22, 4:18 pm, "Unca Pete" wrote:
Not too sure on the SX-101, have you played with one? Not
overly fond of the Hallicrafters RX line on this end...

===========
The SX-101 is one Hallicrafters I haven't had my hands on yet. --Ed

And you wouldn't to pay shipping on one either!

Pete

Old March 22nd 09, 11:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Unca Pete" wrote in message

wrote in message
On Mar 22, 3:24 pm, "Unca Pete"
wrote:
[...]

I can't comment on the 5100 or the RX but I have and
used a B&W SSB adaptor on a different transmitter. It works
like a charm and I hope to put it back in service again some
time.
There were two versions, one with a built-in power
supply, and another which was meant to be used with the
5100B which supplied the power. Presumably the PS version
would also work with the 5100B. The handbook has
instructions for modifying several of the popular low power
transmitters of the time.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA

Old March 23rd 09, 12:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

The combination is very good. The B&W has excellent audio and is very well
built and mannered. The SX-101 is a wonderful receiver and is a joy to QSY
with. I used one for years on 10 meters and it was so much more convenient
to tune the band than the S-line. The later SX-101A has a product detector,
but eliminates 160 meters. With a home built quad on 10-15-20 meters, I
worked over 150 countries on 10 meters in just a couple of years. Of course
the high bands were a bit better then.

I just started restoring an SX-101A to put back on the air. It is in good
shape, but someone painted the cabinet a puke silver-green. That has to go
soon.

I remember when we took this stuff out on Field Day and cranked up the
surplus 5 kw generator that had its own trailer.

The only thing bad about the SX-101 I had is that when the heater came on,
while on 10 meter cw, the frequency would gradually change. At first I
thought it was the oscillator plate voltage regulation. But, in fact, it
was the filament voltage dropping. The good news, however, was that the
oscillator tube was a 12BY7 and had its own transformer (which was left on
all the time). I built a voltage regulator and that sucker stayed put when
my heater came on.

A couple friends had the B&W and they both sounded very good. One of them
had mounted the T/R relay on the back of the B&W and when they first came on
the air, you could hear the "klunk". Seems almost like yesterday. I think
they were having a gas war during the summer and it was 19 cents a gallon.
Gee, I am almost getting teary eyed.

Calibration is not that good, but otherwise it is a fine receiver.

73, Colin K7FM

Old March 23rd 09, 12:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"COLIN LAMB" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I'm starting to feel better; I wasn't familar with the B&W
transmitter, and wanting to be able to sleep at night, I
probably offered more than most would have under the
same circumstances.

Pete

Old March 23rd 09, 01:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

If you end up using the gear, you will not regret the bit extra you paid for
it. Just forego a couple of golf games or a couple of pedicures and that
covers the extra you paid.

Speaking of audio, there was a ham on 10 meters. When I first spoke with
him, he had a KWS-1 and it was the best audio I had ever heard. Apparently
he had some money, because I worked him with different rigs. Next, he had a
Hallicrafters HT-32A. It was also some of the best audio I heard. Not much
later, he got on 10 meters with a Central Electronics CE-100V. It too had
outstanding audio. I was impressed - this guy had selected the three best
rigs I had ever heard. I wanted one, although I could not afford any.

A while later, I was down at the local radio shop and I heard "the voice".
There he was in person and I realized instantly it was not the rigs, but the
voice that was so wonderful. I turned and saw a short, skilly and bald guy,
in a suit and tie belonged to that voice. We chatted and I asked him if he
was a radio announcer. No, he wasn't. What he told me was not impressive
for me to remember, but it was something like an accountant.

As for me, when I change from my Collins KWM-380 and Heil mike to my old TCS
12 and carbon mike, people say my voice has improved. Even got one of these
W2IHY voice equalizers and after long tests the listener likes it best when
I restrict audio as much as possible. But, it gets through the pile-ups.
And, I need not waste money on expensive mikes.

So, whether or not you get compliments on the 5100, may depend upon your
voice.

73, Colin K7FM

Old March 23rd 09, 02:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"COLIN LAMB" wrote in message
m...

So, whether or not you get compliments on the 5100, may depend upon your
voice.

73, Colin K7FM

I sound like a squeaky old foghorn, so maybe I should rehone my
CW skills!

B&W 5100 S George[_2_] Boatanchors 4 May 11th 10 08:25 PM
FS: Drake TR-4Cw/rit + AC-4 + MS-4 combo [email protected] Equipment 0 March 19th 06 10:28 PM
FS: Drake TR-4Cw/rit + AC-4 + MS-4 combo [email protected] Boatanchors 0 March 19th 06 10:28 PM
FS: Drake TR-4Cw/rit + AC-4 + MS-4 combo [email protected] Swap 0 March 19th 06 10:27 PM
FA: DX-394 / MFJ-462b Combo Scan Da Bands Swap 0 January 13th 05 03:48 PM