Old April 17th 09, 04:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Fixed!

On Apr 16, 9:36*am, "JB" wrote:

Occasionally I find some equipment that never worked from the factory and so
escaped much wear and tear, being passed from one shelf to another. *After I
acquire it for a song, I find a quality control issue. *I got my IFR that
way.- Hide quoted text -

I agree with that! I have picked up several pieces of equipment that
are 'like new'
but have some subtle problem. Usually it is a small error with large
effect on operation.
Does not say much for factory QA!!

Neil S.
Old April 17th 09, 10:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Fixed: picture of the failure.

"Paul P" REMOVE paul @ REMOVE ppinyot . REMOVEcom wrote in
message ...
The culprit:
http://www.ppinyot.com/H/Hallicrafte...8straywire.JPG

The rest of the story: http://www.ppinyot.com/s-38.htm

Paul P.

Aha... This is NOT an S-38B, its an S-38. The S-38
has an adjustable BFO, none of the later versions do. No
wonder the schematics seemed wrong, they _were_.

I opened my S-38 to double check and the wire you
indicate in the photo is NOT there so this was definitely
someone's add on. It would be interesing to trace this out
and try to figure out what they thought they were doing.

I have to get at my RX soon, needs a cleaning and some
new caps.
BTW does anyone know of a source for Hallicrafters
knobs of the right vintage for this RX and the S-40 series,
etc? I've had no success at all in trying to find any.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles

Old April 17th 09, 11:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Richard Knoppow wrote:

BTW does anyone know of a source for Hallicrafters
knobs of the right vintage for this RX and the S-40 series,
etc? I've had no success at all in trying to find any.

Try Larry Bordonaro. I got some for my S-40A from him but that has been
several years ago.

Contact info can be found at: http://www.antiqueradioknobs.com/
Old April 18th 09, 01:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Bill M" wrote in message
Richard Knoppow wrote:

BTW does anyone know of a source for Hallicrafters
knobs of the right vintage for this RX and the S-40
series, etc? I've had no success at all in trying to
find any.

Try Larry Bordonaro. I got some for my S-40A from him but
that has been several years ago.

Contact info can be found at:
http://www.antiqueradioknobs.com/

Thanks, I'll try him.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles

G.E. Superadio II re-alignment Frank Shortwave 1 April 3rd 06 04:45 AM
alignment?? JArthur CB 6 June 21st 05 03:07 PM
Help with SP-600 alignment Jim Mandaville Boatanchors 1 January 29th 05 03:02 PM
BEWARE SPENDING TIME ANSWERING QUESTIONS HERE (WAS Electronic Questions) CW Antenna 1 September 5th 03 06:20 PM
SX-71 alignment Jos Boatanchors 2 July 28th 03 09:06 PM