Old October 14th 03, 03:14 PM
Martin Potter

Default A New Concept: Virtual Spectrum

Paul Keinanen ) writes:

... the BPL might be blocked during
your transmissions ...

Paul OH3LWR

Isn't this the answer to BPL? Get on the air, and prevent them from using
the spectrum that they claim they won't affect!

Martin VE3OAT

Old October 14th 03, 05:04 PM
BOEING377

Why such a fuss? One is flying, with all the genuine unpredictable atmospheric
challenges, the other is a flight simulator. Both have their place.
Old October 14th 03, 05:04 PM
BOEING377

Old October 15th 03, 01:42 AM
Mike Knudsen

In article TmWib.25929$Rd4.16160@fed1read07, "K7JEB"
writes:

In effect, the Internet would become
an extremely wideband virtual ionosphere for optical waves.
And, of course, at optical wavelengths, there are huge
frequecy bandwidths available, so everybody could have
their own TV channel, or ham band, or whatever. The trick
would be that you had to provide your own optical terminal
equipment to interface to the fiber.

A wonderful concept. But unforch, it would take the Spammers about 10 days to
completely fill it up. --Mike K.

Oscar loves trash, but hates Spam! Delete him to reply to me.

Old October 15th 03, 01:42 AM
Mike Knudsen

In article , "Gene Storey"
writes:

I was excited about the microsats. Then they built this monster satellite
and spent millions on it. I don't know anyone in a 100 miles who uses it.

About 6-10 years ago I heard rumors of a Ham satellite that would use the HF
bands (not VHF/UHF) and pack enough power that we could pick it up on our
dipoles and BA receivers, and work it with a plain old transceiver and wire or
beam antennas.

Did anything like that ever happen? Is that the monster you refer to? I
haven't read QST in years so I don't know what the protocol would be for
accessing the beast.

Old October 15th 03, 01:42 AM
Mike Knudsen

In article , "Gene Storey"
writes:

If the military isn't worried about its HF
assets, why should Hams be worried?

The military tends to run its war game exercises out in the boonies, in the
rural South or unpopulated dry Southwest. (Not counting military branches
that operate out in the oceans, or way up in the sky). The Army can place its
HF fixed stations out in remote areas and get away from noisy power lines.

Also the military, like the commercial interests, is moving more and more to
satellites for long-DX work, and UHF for short haul. I suspect they can both
live quite well with a noisy HF environment in wired areas.

In fact, I doubt anyone will try to take away Ham spectrum in the HF -- the
trend should be for more and more space to open up to international
broadcasters (quite a bit has already in the last decade) and to us Hams. 73,

Spectrum Analyzer Bill B. Antenna 9 May 4th 04 03:56 PM
New EM spectrum 31.2 mHz - 6.52 EHz Thierry Antenna 2 March 21st 04 04:31 PM
FS: MOTOROLA VHF SPECTRUM ANTENNA cohenandy Antenna 1 March 12th 04 07:20 PM
FS: VHF Motorola Spectrum mobile antenna in MA cohenandy Antenna 0 March 8th 04 04:24 PM
Virtual ground monopole HF Antenna Radiondistics Antenna 8 February 8th 04 03:29 AM