Old November 13th 03, 02:15 AM
Dbowey

g.w. posted:
...It is a shame to see such equipment still with some life to it
demolished, but such is life.

Businesses haved become ruthless in treatment of their people, who also had
something left to contribute. How can we expect better of their treatment of
equipment? To the idiot MBA bean-counters, it's all the same.

Don

Old November 13th 03, 06:57 AM
james

Hi,

HP test equipment and medical equipment were spun off as www.agilent.com

the pc and printer business was merged with equal of Compaq
(the m & a teams always call these a merger of equals !)

hp or we call it hpaq now has the hp line and the compaq lines along with

the tandem and dec lines from the compaq mergers with tandem and digital
equipment co.

and HP has ordered three new corporate jets after all the layoffs from
the merger of equals.

the #1 guy at compaq jumped ship after the merger to take over worldcom.

Phil wrote:

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 11:36:38 -0500, Radioman wrote:

Come to think of it, HP ain't the old HP anymore, huh?

They even advertise, The New HP!

IIRC HP broke into several different companies - the one that makes
computers absorbed Compaq (or was it the other way around) and the
one that makes printer stuff is the "new HP".

The one that made (from the start) and still makes some of the best
test equipment now has a new name.

It shudd'a been the other way around.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Old November 13th 03, 07:16 AM
- - Bill - -

james wrote:
Hi,

HP test equipment and medical equipment were spun off as www.agilent.com

the pc and printer business was merged with equal of Compaq
(the m & a teams always call these a merger of equals !)

hp or we call it hpaq now has the hp line and the compaq lines along with

the tandem and dec lines from the compaq mergers with tandem and digital
equipment co.

and HP has ordered three new corporate jets after all the layoffs from
the merger of equals.

the #1 guy at compaq jumped ship after the merger to take over worldcom.

And your point is???

The ability to trash or praise any convolution of corporate structure
must lead to a point, the most simplistic being that they were Gods
before and now they are all Devils.
Even without my ESP-lamp turned on I see what you are trying to convey
but the point is lost to any mortal below my level.
Are you saying that new managers and mergers are a good thing or a bad
thing.?
-BM

Old November 13th 03, 12:16 PM
Ed Price

"- - Bill - -" exray@coquidotnet wrote in message
james wrote:
[...]

I think he was trying to say that Carly Fiorina hijacked the HP name and
spun off the respected part of HP as Agilent. And now, people used to the
old HP Way can't find that quality at Agilent. Something got lost in the
shuffle. OTOH, test equipment costs less today that it ever did, and it does
more better. Us old dinosaurs just have a hard time getting used to test
equipment that doesn't glow in the dark, is built to be thrown away rather
than fixed for years to come, and that is more computer than anything else.

Ed
wb6wsn

Old November 13th 03, 09:53 PM
MCCRK

The answer to this problem is not to trade in the equipment. Sell it privately.
You you may wind up getting more for it than you would in a tradein.

Or, if you want to be charitable, find some deserving person and give it away.

Either way, the equipment will find a new home.

W3DEF

Old November 14th 03, 03:21 AM
RP Jones

I don't know I wasn't stupid enough to even think about calling GTE.
Actually "now that I remember"
I had called Tek to enquire about a 465 B faceplate, this guy totally "lost
his wig" before I even got to speak about owning a 2232.
$^% 465 !! jokingly told me "THIS ISN'T SANFORD AND SON"

I have since sold the 2232 and baught 465B and a little NLS battery operated
(NLS are VERY very nice people, they sent me a manual, alignment/service
procedure and schematic free!! )
I also have a 545 on a cart to I use in the basement (winter) people love
looking at it

-RP

"private" wrote in message
Did they actually pull off that deal with GTE for service.
I was there training some of those ****ers.

RP Jones wrote:

Could it be they don't want to do anymore service, perhaps it cheaper

just
to replace those new off seas plastic cheap ones one under warrantee.
I called them about a Tek 2232 and someone on the other end got all

****ed
off, said call GTE for service ?

"Frank Gilliland" wrote in message
Tektronix is trying to manipulate the oscilloscope market. Today I

learned
from
my local dealership that they are required by contract to destroy

every
scope
which is traded in for a new Tektronix scope, regardless of age or

condition. So
if you decide to trade in that old scope for a Tektronix, know ahead

of
time
that it is NOT going to end up in the hands of a ham, or of some kid

learning
and experimenting in electronics on a tight budget like I was thir...

er,
twenty
years ago. No, Tektronix needs to raise their profits by destroying

every
used
scope they can get their greedy little hands on, regardless of who

feels
the
pinch!

Old November 14th 03, 02:24 PM
gw

RP Jones wrote:

[...]

isn't it true that the older stuff is built like a battleship and
isn't as proprietary and can be repaired with user obtainable parts?
I always heard tek for scopes and hp for analyzers. Any thoughts on
that?
Old November 14th 03, 02:48 PM
Mike Andrews

In (rec.radio.amateur.homebrew), gw wrote:

isn't it true that the older stuff is built like a battleship and
isn't as proprietary and can be repaired with user obtainable parts?
I always heard tek for scopes and hp for analyzers. Any thoughts on
that?

My experience is that HP scopes are OK-to-great, while Tek scopes
are excellent-to-superb. Similarly, HP generators and analyzers are
excellent-to-superb, while OK-to-great.

There are other manufacturers that make excellent-to-superb hardware,
such as Fluke.

--
Mike Andrews

Tired old sysadmin
Old November 14th 03, 03:18 PM
Scott Dorsey

RP Jones wrote:
I don't know I wasn't stupid enough to even think about calling GTE.
Actually "now that I remember"
I had called Tek to enquire about a 465 B faceplate, this guy totally "lost
his wig" before I even got to speak about owning a 2232.
$^% 465 !! jokingly told me "THIS ISN'T SANFORD AND SON"

The repair depot in Washington DC has one old guy who likes working on the
older gear, and has some limited parts supply for them. Last year he spent
an awful lot of time getting the 100V supply on my 610 video monitor working
reliably, and I can strongly recommend the DC folks.
--scott

Old November 14th 03, 04:06 PM
RP Jones

With out doubt, most new hardware looks like its built to be thrown away
and crushed.
"Built in absolesance" Its a dam shame !
Id agree on Tek for scopes and HP for analyzers, if you look on Ebay HP
"as is" scopes with problems must out number the Tek's 10-1.
(Many developed push button/switchpad related problems)