Old January 9th 04, 01:26 AM
Frank Dresser

"Robert Casey" wrote in message

Being "rare" isn't significant to me. A rare radio implies that they
didn't sell too
well, because of bad style, engineering, or just too expensive for

what
it did.
I have a web page showing the "common" easily found radios that I own.
http://www.geocities.com/wa2ise/radios/common.html

I like my radios "well done" :-)

Well, sellers sometimes like to say a mass produced item is rare, not
because it didn't fit a market or wasn't a good deal for the money, but
because "it probably was ahead of it's time:".

Frank Dresser

Old January 10th 04, 09:37 PM
Dan Busetti

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message ...
"Robert Casey" wrote in message

Being "rare" isn't significant to me. A rare radio implies that they
didn't sell too
well, because of bad style, engineering, or just too expensive for

what
it did.
I have a web page showing the "common" easily found radios that I own.
http://www.geocities.com/wa2ise/radios/common.html

I like my radios "well done" :-)

Well, sellers sometimes like to say a mass produced item is rare, not
because it didn't fit a market or wasn't a good deal for the money, but
because "it probably was ahead of it's time:".

Frank Dresser

The obvious reason for claiming anything "rare" is to increase the
selling price. Rare suggests hard to get, not found in every
collection- thereby invoking supply/demand dynamics. Case in point: I
have a Zenith tabletop, model 5G537. It uses chassis 5A02, the same as
console 5G572. According to Zenith records, only 4000 chassis were
built. An unknown number were put in tabletops compared to consoles.
In the big scheme of things for Zenith, this model is rare. Can I
legitimately advertise it as rare? Sure. Compared to other chassis
like 6B03 found in 224,000 portables (like 6G601 variants). Does that
make my 5G537 worth $500? Probably not. But at least I can PROVE
rarity based on facts, not on a hope, guess, limited experience, or
dream.
Old January 10th 04, 10:06 PM
Mark Oppat

most folks get rarity and desirability confused.
Rarity is component of desireability, not the other way around! Same with
age, condition, etc.
Mark Oppat

om...

Old January 11th 04, 12:31 AM
Frank Dresser

"Mark Oppat" wrote in message
most folks get rarity and desirability confused.
Rarity is component of desireability, not the other way around! Same

with
age, condition, etc.
Mark Oppat

Yeah, rarity and desirability are hardly the same thing. If the
practical people of the past wanted to pay for, or keep, any mass
produced items -- they would not now be rare!!

Of course, collecting isn't practical, it's emotional. I have several
old radios, mostly boatanchors. They all still work as well as they did
about 50 years ago. I'm sure the many people who made these radios
common thought they were a good deal for the money. I'm also sure the
original boxes and packing materials would now be worth more than the
radios they once contained.

Frank Dresser

Old January 11th 04, 12:44 AM
Scott W. Harvey

On 10 Jan 2004 13:37:26 -0800, (Dan Busetti) wrote:

The obvious reason for claiming anything "rare" is to increase the
selling price. Rare suggests hard to get, not found in every
collection- thereby invoking supply/demand dynamics. Case in point: I
have a Zenith tabletop, model 5G537. It uses chassis 5A02, the same as
console 5G572. According to Zenith records, only 4000 chassis were
built. An unknown number were put in tabletops compared to consoles.
In the big scheme of things for Zenith, this model is rare. Can I
legitimately advertise it as rare? Sure. Compared to other chassis
like 6B03 found in 224,000 portables (like 6G601 variants). Does that
make my 5G537 worth $500? Probably not. But at least I can PROVE
rarity based on facts, not on a hope, guess, limited experience, or
dream.

Well, let's put it another way: suppose you took a load of junk to a
junkyard for disposal, and while there saw a complete SX-28 at the
junkyard in fair-to-midllin' condition, located directly below a sign
that said ABSOLUTELY NO SCAVENGING ALLOWED, would you pass it by, or
would it magically wind up in your car or truck somehow with a blanket
over it?

Scarce or not, I know what I would do.....some rules were meant to be
broken :-)

The SX-28 may not be rare in actuality, but it is rare in the sense
that not too many radios with its level of performance were built in
that era, and fewer still survive completely intact.

-Scott

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE AT THE EMAIL ADDRESS ABOVE!
Instead, go to the following web page to get my real email address:
http://member.newsguy.com/~polezi/scottsaddy.htm
(This has been done because I am sick of SPAMMERS making my email unusable)

Old January 11th 04, 09:47 PM
Dave Holford

My copy of "Short wave receivers - past and present" lists the SX-28 as
COMMON

Dave
Old January 11th 04, 10:28 PM
-Bill M-

Dave Holford wrote:

My copy of "Short wave receivers - past and present" lists the SX-28 as
COMMON

Dave

Maybe an understatement.
-Bill

Old January 12th 04, 03:05 AM
Brian Hill

"Scott W. Harvey" wrote in message The SX-28 may
not be rare in actuality, but it is rare in the sense
that not too many radios with its level of performance were built in
that era, and fewer still survive completely intact.

-Scott

No that's not true there were a lot of radios as good if not better in
performance than the 28. One for instance is the Hammarlund Super Pros that
were mass produced and served the same purpose and the great HROs. The looks
of the SX-28 is what makes it desirable along with its great audio. That's
what made them popular with Military and FCC monitors was they were less
fatiguing to listen to. Its arguably the best looking boatanchor of all time
too. But its not rare and its the one radio if asked to be found can be.
I've restored several SX-28s and SX-28As and they always seem to find their
way into my shack.