Old February 23rd 04, 10:09 PM

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 15:30:09 UTC, Chuck Harris
wrote:

Spray cleaners like 409, work too, spray liberally, and
scrub with a brush, and rinse with pure water, distilled is best.
Drying in a convection oven (fan circulation) at 140F finishes up the
job. A cardboard box with a fan, and a light for a heater works too.

careful with 409, I've seen it degrade the panel lettering.

I de-smoked an SB-303 by hand wiping every exposed wire, part,
surface using a clean cloth damped with a very dilute detergent
solution. It took a lot of work but I was recovering from hand
surgery and needed a punishing amount of effort as physical therapy.

Gently and firmly rubbing small components for hours is excrutiating
pain but it really strengthens your fingers.

de ah6gi/4 www.kiyoinc.com/heathstuff.html

Old February 23rd 04, 11:54 PM
Chuck Harris

Hi,

I can't say that I have ever seen 409 damage anything, but I tend
to work on commercial gear. Ham gear often uses sub commercial
practices in its construction. I remember trying to deflux the boards
in a SB104 that I had just built. I tried isopropyl alcohol, like I
routinely did with commercial pc boards, and it started to remove the
solder mask! I have never seen anything like that before or since.

I can bet that hand scrubbing all those parts would do a great job of
punishing your poor fingers. Your PT would be proud!

-Chuck Harris

Old February 24th 04, 03:04 AM
Ray Collins

I find the shower works well, but try and keep the coils dry. I spray
with PH balanced shampoo, let it soak and hot shower it out, a lot of
"it" comes out.

Old February 24th 04, 06:03 AM
Pete KE9OA

I remember an old TR7A that I picked up from a friend. He threw the dead
roaches and their droppings in for free.
First of all, I gave each of the boards a bath in soapy water. After rinsing
them in clean water, I gave them another soaking in Isopropyl alcohol. It
took 13 gallons of alcohol to clean that radio. There were even roach husks
enmeshed in the PTO gears. I had to complete dismantle that PTO.
After all of that effort, there were still some stains from all of the
droppings that had embedded themselves in the wiring insulation. Too bad
they didn't use teflon insulated wire. When I explained the history of the
radio to the buyer, he couldn't believe that it was ever in that condition.
Good thing that it is just smoke and nicotine, in your case!

Pete

Old February 24th 04, 05:43 PM
John Lovallo

Use sudsy ammonia solution from the supermarket. Doesn't appear to harm
anything and smoke stains just run away as does the odor. Rinse with water
when done!

John Lovallo w9gc

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Chuck Harris wrote:

I have gotten radios that were used by hams that had chassis that
were stained yellow brown from the tar and nicotine. There is no
amount of airing out that will make that go away. With them, the
only answer is scrub, scrub, scrub. The cleaning solution comes out
as brown as grasshopper spit.

That's a different problem altogether. In that case, 409 is VERY

effective
at removing the gum, as long as you keep it off of phenolic parts. It

will
etch bakelite very quickly.
--scott

Old February 25th 04, 12:11 AM
Chuck Harris

Kevin, VE1TV wrote:
I'm really surprised that no one has observed that smoke is actually the
reason radios work at all. I recall being taught that once the smoke is
released, the radio usually stops working. I'm pretty sure the smoke is
contained inside those little glass bottles...

This is all of course moot, if the smoke is known to have come from another
source.

BTW, Fantastik, Spray-nine, 409, and many others are mostly NAOH solutions

No, they are not. Read the ingredients list.

and are eschewed by the conservators. Murphy's is, I think, saponified
vegetable oil, and considered pretty safe.

Also known as soap.

-Chuck Harris
Old February 25th 04, 12:18 AM
Danny Stone

I use Simple Green - 100% strength. Spray, let sit, and rinse with
water. It's supposed to be non-toxic and biodegradeable, too.

I air dry when it's nice and warm outside, or I put it on the sneaker
rack in the dryer, with the heat down way low, for about a half
hour/45 minutes/ or so.

I've found the dishwasher can be a bit too vigorous. Also, there's
something personally repugnant about cleaning crap-infested radios in
the same thing you use to wash your dishes and utensuils... (Or is
that vice versa

Danny

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 07:35:53 GMT, (lorentzson)
wrote:

I am wondering if there is a tried and true way of getting rid of the

smoke smell out of radios? Would appreciate any and all help. thanks
in advance. cl 73

Old February 25th 04, 04:03 AM
Mike Knudsen

In article , "Kevin, VE1TV"
writes:

I'm really surprised that no one has observed that smoke is actually the
reason radios work at all. I recall being taught that once the smoke is
released, the radio usually stops working. I'm pretty sure the smoke is
contained inside those little glass bottles...

No, glass bottles are unique in that they don't run on smoke, unlike their
sorry-state and disintegrated-circuit replacements, which are notorious for
losing their smoke at just the wrong moment.

In BA radios, the smoke is held within the transformers and resistors, and
sometimes the 'lytic caps. I've been there when it escaped.

"In a vacuum, noone can smell your smoke ... " --Mike K.

Oscar loves trash, but hates Spam! Delete him to reply to me.
Old February 25th 04, 07:12 AM
Brian Goldsmith

"Danny Stone" wrote

I put it on the sneaker rack in the dryer, with the heat down way low,
for about a half
hour/45 minutes/ or so.

I've found the dishwasher can be a bit too vigorous. Also, there's
something personally repugnant about cleaning crap-infested radios in
the same thing you use to wash your dishes and utensuils...

***** And there's nothing repugnant about the stench of heated sneakers?
:-)

Brian Goldsmith.

Old February 25th 04, 01:05 PM
Danny Stone

Ah Brian,

Good point - but I do not dry my sneakers in the dryer

So far, the boatanchor drying is all I've used it for...Maybe Sears
can use this in their advertising?

"Danny Stone" wrote