Old March 4th 05, 07:58 PM

Default Scott SLRM - Figuring out the value

I'm trying to establish the value of a Scott Marine Radio SLRM. The
radio is complete and in very good condition including a working magic
eye. I also have the manual for the military equivelant, the CZC-46270
Radio Receiver. The manual is clearly aged but is also complete wih no
missing pages including the fold out schematic in back. I've checked
ebay and the web but apparently these aren't particularly common.
Either opinions or pointers to other sources of information would be
appreciated.

Thanks

Old March 5th 05, 02:43 PM
Al Parker

Hi,
I bought an E.H. Scott RCH last yr, price on it was $150, it was
working. Not exactly your unit, but I do have some pix on a webpage,
incl. one with the magic eye:
http://www.thecompendium.net/radio/ScottRCH.htm
I've been considering selling mine, after doing some work on it &
realizing it needs a place to sit, and stay. It's heavy, 80-90 lbs I
think. Don't know what price I should put on it now either, so would be
interested in what you hear.
73,

--
Al, W8UT
New Bern, NC

wrote;

Old March 5th 05, 02:45 PM
Vulcan

I have 3 or 4 of them and paid prices from $35.00 to $200.00 for them.
Yours sounds like it belongs on the high end of that range.
I had thought that they were a rare item but there seems to be lots of
them out there.
A nice swl rig but a little lacking as a ham receiver. Enjoy it. 73
Gary de N9ZSV

Old March 6th 05, 04:37 AM
Chris Bowne

Scott sold them for $250 in their retail showrooms just after the war ended
and they apparently were stuck with ones that the Navy no longer wanted. My
great uncle bought one in late '45 as a replacement for a pre-war Scott
Philharmonic. As they were two completely different types of sets, my great
uncle, who was expecting Philharmonic-like performance, was never really
happy with the SLRM, But about 20 years later, it was given to me and
became my first real short wave receiver. I used it for many years as the
main receiver in my ham station, and still have it. Really nice ones seem
to go for about the same $250 today. The quality and craftmanship of SLRM
is outstanding. Its main drawback as a ham receiver is weak BFO injection
(there is no direct coupling of the BFO to the IF, just stray pickup!). I
added a gimmick cap formed with a twisted length of two small wires between
the BFO cathode and the 2nd IF grid which helped ut quite a bit. They have
great sound for what they are. Scott sold them with Hallicrafters PM23
speakers (the SX28's speaker).

Good luck with yours - hope you get a good price, or better yet -keep it and
enjoy it!

73,
Chris Bowne
AJ1G
Stonington, CT

oups.com...

Old March 7th 05, 10:56 PM

Thanks all for the responses. You've been very helpful.

The passing of Dr. Scott & r.r.s. merrymaking Al Patrick Shortwave 59 February 25th 05 03:36 AM
Dr. Gene Scott Al Patrick Shortwave 2 February 24th 05 11:26 PM
Gene Scott, satellites and MW Honus Shortwave 19 August 22nd 04 08:25 PM
Leland Scott Is Innocent Ruby Tuesday CB 0 March 9th 04 09:04 PM
Congratulations Scott sheik yerbooti CB 25 July 20th 03 03:00 AM