Old January 7th 05, 04:58 PM
Antonio I0JX

Actually I am a lucky lady.
=20
Dee D. Flint, N8UZE=20
=20

Sorry, I am not too familiar with American names.

73/88

Tony I0JX
Old January 8th 05, 12:00 AM
Dee Flint

"Antonio I0JX" wrote in message
Actually I am a lucky lady.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Sorry, I am not too familiar with American names.

73/88

Tony I0JX

That's OK. Actually my name does not give you a reliable clue. It can be
used by either sex.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old January 8th 05, 12:20 AM
Ed

Or, like happened to me today. An Item I was bidding on back before
Christmas was won by someone who bid twice what it was worth. Today, I was
contacted by the seller telling be the bidder had defaulted on payment and
offering it to me. My problem/blessing is that I purchased another one off
the ARRL classifieds and I am hoping it shows up and is as nice as the one I
missed.
73,
Ed-KV5I
"Antonio I0JX" wrote in message
My classic eBay bidding technique is to look long and hard at an item,
think it over, and then bid my maximum price - once, by proxy. If I
win, fine, if not, then it wasn't meant to be.

Just one comment. Bidding once is a good technique, provided that you only
place your bid 20 seconds from auction end.

As a matter of fact bidding hours or, worse, days before auction end will
give others time to place successive bids in small increments, until they
surpass you by just 1$.

73

Tony, I0JX

Old January 8th 05, 02:32 PM
Ed Price

"Ed" none@this-time wrote in message
news
[...]

And how is that a successful strategy for THEM? Doesn't somebody else then
just bid a minimum increment over them, and now they aren't the winner
either? So then they have to go back and bid up again, till they are the
high bidder once again.

This technique may harass bidders and inflate the auction price, but it's
not a way to win. The winner, despite having an unknown high bid, ALWAYS
wins by just the minimum increment.

Ed
wb6wsn

Old January 8th 05, 03:03 PM
David Stinson

Ed Price wrote:
As a matter of fact bidding hours or, worse, days before auction end
will give others time to place successive bids in small increments,
until they surpass you by just 1$....

This technique may harass bidders and inflate the auction price, but
it's not a way to win. The winner, despite having an unknown high bid,
ALWAYS wins by just the minimum increment.

The snipe strategy is just the opposite, Ed;
snipe bidding at the last minute substantially reduces final prices.
In a non-snipe environment, two bidders might proceed thus:

#1 thinks: "My absolute maximum for this is $50 and bids accordingly.
It is 3 days until auction close.

#2 decides $60 is his highest offer, and he bids.
It is 2 days until auction close.

#1 sees he is outbid at $51. He says "Oh, well." But that is not
the nature of humans. He frets. He figgits. He finally convinces
himself: "I really want this. If it's worth $50, it's worth $70."
He bids $70 and becomes high bidder at $61.
It is 1 day to auction close.

#2 now does exactly the same thing #1 did,
and is now the high bidder at $71.

In the last few hours, this cycle repeats until #2
actually reaches his (heretofore unconscious) limit of $95,
and #1 wins the auction at $96.

In a Sniped auction, #1 says "My limit is $50" and puts in his
snipe accordingly. #2 says his is $60 and puts in his snipe.
The auction closes with #2 the winner at $61.

Therefore, sniping actually brings prices down overall.

The wise sniper will use the long time before auction close
to think hard about just how much he wants an item,
instead of entering his first impulse
six days before auction end.

Kindly,
David S.

p.s. There is one reason for entering an early bid:
I sometimes enter a low bid just to put my name on the
list and let my friends know I'm really interested in
that item. This gives us a chance to negotiate
about which of us is going to actually try to win the item.
The other person can drop out of the race.
If you decide to use this idea, you and your friends
need to exchange emails about your Ebay user IDs;
don't expect your best friend to know "GoobaWappa6"
is you, unless you tell him.

Old January 18th 05, 07:48 PM
Mike Knudsen

Sometimes I sorta want an item and set my proxy bid, kinda high, at
the beginning. Folk will inch up, others will try the last minute
bid but how does anyone know what my proxy is?

Yep. A few years ago, I put my maximum proxy bid on a Racal receiver. Nobody
beat my bid after a week. The seller told me he figured my high initial bid
scared others away. At least they didn't come around for the last-minute
feeding frenzy.

Nice radio, too. I plead seniority on the model number (6217?), but it's the
transistor Wadley-Loop model with the odometer style freq readouts and purely
analog tuning, and only a couple inches high in rack-mount. Sits under my
RA-17C.
73, Mike K.

Oscar loves trash, but hates Spam! Delete him to reply to me.