Old December 30th 04, 05:31 PM
Left Coast

Well it was interesting and good for a chuckle -- 29 bids on a SB-104A for
$1000 +
But DXace has a point -- you can ask whatever you want - on e-bay and
hamfests
If someone wants it they will pay "insane" prices -- so what ??
Think its called free enterprise -- hooray fer that.

At the next Hamfest when a guy quotes e-bay prices -- reply we ain't on
e-bay
I disagree with "it will inflate the prices"
Smart sellers and buyers know better
Or should
"Inexperienced bidders" are just that -- ebay not withstanding

The thing about e-bay is it is world wide -- thousands of potential bidders
and some one who has coveted an item for years will come rising up out the
woodwork

Remember -- money is no object with some bidders in an auction, have never
seen that at a hamfest - generally it is a very poor place to sell things.

I offered a rare ham book at a hamfest for $25 -- guy sed I'll give you
5 -- I replied which Chapter do you want (;-)

Sold on e-bay for $28
Case Closed

--
LC

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
In article , dxAce
wrote:
W4UDX wrote:

Check out this insane bidding!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...keTra ck=true

Why do you worry about how others decide to spend THEIR money?

Problems?

Because it raises price standards for everyone else. Next time you go to
buy an item at a hamfest, the guy selling it will say, "well, I hear one
of
these went for a million dollars on Ebay..." Inexperienced bidders who
don't
know what things are worth, and bidding wars between people who
desperately
have to have an item, tend to raise the overall market value of an item
more
than it should be.
--scott

Old December 30th 04, 05:39 PM
dxAce

Left Coast wrote:

[...]

Exactly. An auction is just that, an auction.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old December 30th 04, 05:43 PM
No Spam

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 14:50:30 UTC, (Scott Dorsey)
wrote:

In article , dxAce wrote:
W4UDX wrote:

Check out this insane bidding!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...keTra ck=true

Why do you worry about how others decide to spend THEIR money?

Problems?

Because it raises price standards for everyone else. Next time you go to
buy an item at a hamfest, the guy selling it will say, "well, I hear one of
these went for a million dollars on Ebay..." Inexperienced bidders who don't
know what things are worth, and bidding wars between people who desperately
have to have an item, tend to raise the overall market value of an item more
than it should be.
--scott

$1,000+ for a Heathkit SB-104A.

What? "more than it should be"???? Who sets the price? The price
is whatever the market says the price is. Neither you nor I get to
decide. If there are a million well-heeled bidders who run the
price to the sky, well, that's the price that the market set.

In the last year, I went to a dozen hamfests in the Middle Atlantic.
I didn't see a single SB-104A. None, nada, zippo.

In fact, I saw, maybe, a dozen interesting, pre-1980's radios.
Pre-1980 radio's are vanishing into private collections, for
whatever reason.

What happens when there are none to be had? The price rises until
someone is induced to sell.

If you want to see insane prices, go to www.longandfoster.com and
enter zipcode 22305. At the bottom of the page there is a $411,900
rental-look row house.

essays on radio pricing.

Old December 30th 04, 09:23 PM
PowerHouse Communications

Eighty-four dollars ($84) doesn't really seem all that insane to me... What
do you run, a tin can with string?

"W4UDX" wrote in message
I don't care how they spend their money, I just thought it was good for a
laugh. I guess anal people like yourself would not see the humor in it. So

guess I have a problem with anal people.

Old December 30th 04, 09:35 PM
Dee Flint

"PowerHouse Communications" wrote in message
Eighty-four dollars ($84) doesn't really seem all that insane to me...
What
do you run, a tin can with string?

Something has changed on eBay. Earlier today, it showed several thousands
of dollars.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old December 30th 04, 09:44 PM
Bill M

Dee Flint wrote:

"PowerHouse Communications" wrote in message

Eighty-four dollars ($84) doesn't really seem all that insane to me...
What
do you run, a tin can with string?

Something has changed on eBay. Earlier today, it showed several thousands
of dollars.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Hehe...looks like K7HBC pulled his $10,000.00 bid. See bottom of the page.
He apparently meant $100.00 and the gbp333(9) guy was bidding up against
that max. I wonder if gbp333(9) feels stoopid or happy (or both) right
about now?

-Bill