Old October 31st 05, 01:30 AM
Lazy Senior

Default Old Xmtrs, "Ancient Modulation" and Amps

I recently acquired a Viking Ranger in nice working condx.

I am interested in using this on AM on 160, 80, and 40 mtrs. The Ranger
runs around 40 watts Am carrier output. I would like to get an amplifier
to use with this xmtr, maybe a vintage amp. What should I be looking
for? I would like to run legal Am Limit on these 3 bands. Should I
forget about Vintage Amps and get a modern Amp? Suggestions please. Any
pitfalls to using a modern Amp?

Thanx

Lazy Senior
Old October 31st 05, 01:43 AM
Scott Dorsey

Lazy Senior wrote:
I recently acquired a Viking Ranger in nice working condx.

I am interested in using this on AM on 160, 80, and 40 mtrs. The Ranger
runs around 40 watts Am carrier output. I would like to get an amplifier
to use with this xmtr, maybe a vintage amp. What should I be looking
for? I would like to run legal Am Limit on these 3 bands. Should I
forget about Vintage Amps and get a modern Amp? Suggestions please. Any
pitfalls to using a modern Amp?

Put the thing on the air as it is and have some fun.

You can add an amp if you want, but give it a try with 40W and see
how you do. I bet you'll be surprised.

There are plenty of decent used linear amps out there if you want to go
that route, but if you think about it in dB, 1000W isn't _that_ much
more than 10W. Only a few S-units at the receiver.
--scott

Old October 31st 05, 02:06 AM
Uncle Peter

"Lazy Senior" wrote in message
newsse9f.3726$zT6.3512@trnddc06...
I recently acquired a Viking Ranger in nice working condx.

I am interested in using this on AM on 160, 80, and 40 mtrs. The Ranger
runs around 40 watts Am carrier output. I would like to get an amplifier
to use with this xmtr, maybe a vintage amp. What should I be looking
for? I would like to run legal Am Limit on these 3 bands. Should I
forget about Vintage Amps and get a modern Amp? Suggestions please. Any
pitfalls to using a modern Amp?

Thanx

Lazy Senior

This is not as easy as it seems. AM peak power is
4 times the carrier. A 100% modulated 40 watt AM
signal is actually producing 160 watts PEP.
The linear amplifier could only be driven to about
25% output on an unmodulated carrier from an AM transmitter,
otherwise it would be severely overdriven on modulation peaks.
If you could drive a linear to 1000 watts, the maximum carrier
power for AM would require the drive to be set for about 250
watts max.

If you want more power you could drive a class C amplifier, and
apply high level modulation directly to it. Trying to "amplify" an
AM signal is very, very inefficient and difficult to set up properly.

Pete

Old October 31st 05, 02:38 AM
Lazy Senior

Uncle Peter wrote:

This is not as easy as it seems. AM peak power is
4 times the carrier. A 100% modulated 40 watt AM
signal is actually producing 160 watts PEP.

Yes, I know it is not as easy as it seems, that is what I posted the
message looking for suggestions.

I presently use a Viking Valiant putting out 140 Am carrier watts. It
has worked very nicely.

Now also,I have a Viking Ranger, puts out 40 Am carrier watts. I want
more power, especially on 160 mtrs.

Ok it is 1956 when these xmtrs were made. If I had a Ranger then, what
would I buy for an amp?

I realize one problem I may have is 160 mtrs (a band I love) was
restricted in 1956 and many radios, xmtrs, amps didnt have 160 mtrs.

So, I want to run 375 watts Am Legal limit with a Viking Ranger on
160,80,40 mtrs preferably with a Vintage Amp, but will consider modern amps.

What are my options - no homebrew..

thanx

Lazy Senior
Old October 31st 05, 02:46 AM
Uncle Peter

Uncle Peter wrote:

Ok it is 1956 when these xmtrs were made. If I had a Ranger then, what

would I buy for an amp?

Heathkit KL-1 Chippewa? Although that probably dates a few
years later, and may have been a "match" for the Apache.
The 4-400s could probably withstand the
duty cycle for AM operation. Besides the PEP issues, you have to
make sure the amp and its power supply will withstand AM
continuous carrier operation.

Most hams back then would have used the Ranger as an exciter
for a Class C amplifier deck with it's own high-level AM modulator.
That's the best way to do what you propose.

Old October 31st 05, 03:02 AM
Phil Witt

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 21:46:05 -0500, " Uncle Peter"
wrote:

Most hams back then would have used the Ranger as an exciter
for a Class C amplifier deck with it's own high-level AM modulator.
That's the best way to do what you propose.

100% correct.

Old October 31st 05, 04:11 AM
Ron in Radio Heaven

Lazy Senior wrote:
Uncle Peter wrote:
Ok it is 1956 when these xmtrs were made. If I had a Ranger then, what
would I buy for an amp?

Johnson desk kilowatt, lots of them get driven by Rangers.

Ron
Old October 31st 05, 02:25 PM
vt245

There are plenty of decent used linear amps out there if you want to go
that route, but if you think about it in dB, 1000W isn't _that_ much
more than 10W. Only a few S-units at the receiver.
--scott

Uhhhhh yeah it is. 1000w to 10 w is 20db ...

Old October 31st 05, 02:34 PM
Scott Dorsey

In article ,
vt245 wrote:

There are plenty of decent used linear amps out there if you want to go
that route, but if you think about it in dB, 1000W isn't _that_ much
more than 10W. Only a few S-units at the receiver.

Uhhhhh yeah it is. 1000w to 10 w is 20db ...

Right, it's only 20 dB. That is far less than the day to day propagation
variations. Only 3 1/3 S-units. Not much at all.
--scott

Old October 31st 05, 03:04 PM
K3HVG

But..... 20dB can make all the difference in the world in being
heard.... and not being heard.

Low noise -- op amps K7ITM Homebrew 0 January 7th 05 06:41 PM
Go Amps Go SteveJ CB 13 May 25th 04 02:05 PM
FCC to make CB Amps Legal again! WA3MOJ Policy 2 April 28th 04 04:07 AM