Old February 15th 06, 01:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
K3HVG

Default scr522-bc624

All,
In the late 50's, all of us who wanted to get on 2-meters used the '522
transmitter. I also seem to recall that we could, and did, trade the
finals either the 832A for an 829B, or vice versa, to get a bit more
power. I think there was a mechanical consideration, too.. but that was
a long time ago! That transmitter, plus a Tapetone or Tecraft receiver
converter, and you were on your way. de K3HVG

Old February 15th 06, 01:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Chuck Harris

Andrew VK3BFA wrote:

G'day Chuck.

There was no intention of US bashing or of there being something evil in
my story. John (see above) stated the situation better than I and I
agree with his sentiments.

Lionel L Sharp, VK4NS

For more details, check out www.aafradio.org - the Americans could not
communicate with t-he British who were using VHF in their aircraft, so
the SCR522 was a "copy" of the British design until the Americans could
do the necessary R & D. No slight on our American friends intended -
stop being so paranoid! - when we do want to insult you, you will be
left in no doubt hi hi

Andrew VK3BFA.

Hi Lionel, Andrew, etal,

I am sorry for over reacting.

My first 2M rig was a decidedly breadboard contraption that used a
6J6 as a push-pull oscillator, and had a modified phonograph audio
output stage as the modulator. It had no xtal, and drifted so badly
that I could never be sure where I would end up. I ditched that
mess, and used a borrowed ARC-1 in its original 28V dynamotor condition.
The ARC-1 was pure pleasure to operate. It sounded nice (inspite of
its carbon microphone), and could change channels at a whim.

A lot of folks swapped 829's in for 832's in some of the vhf rigs, but
the ARC-1 was too compact for that treatment. The 829 was a fair bit
taller, and would run into the top of the bakelite socket assembly
the ARC-1 used.

-Chuck
Old February 15th 06, 05:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
K3HVG

Still have an ARC-1. It one of those that Eastern Airlines (?)
converted to 50 channels. While working for Page Airways at DCA in the
mid-60's, I managed to get the unit and an original book with the ComCo
airline mod included.

Old February 16th 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Litzendraht

nierveze wrote:
the 9003 input tube is the successor of the 955 acorn in an another 'box'.

Alain,
I was pleased that you mentioned the 9003 being the successor of an
acorn tube. I started to mention that when I said I replaced the 9003's
with 6AK5's. There was a series of 7 pin minatures that replicated some
of the acorns.

I think the 9003 was actually the replacement for a 954 pentode acorn
and the 9002 (also used in the BC 624) replaced a 955 triode.

My B&W grid dip meter that I've had for a hundred years uses a 955
oscillator. And I did some tinkering in those early days with portable
2 metre equipment with 957 battery triodes. One small transmitter I
built used a single 957 ultra-audion oscillator and I modulated it with
a Shure magnetic microphone in series with the grid resistor ground
return. Pretty simple circuit. It sounded great on the BC 624!

What type of antenna array do you plan to use? Do you know the
frequency range that was used in the early experiments that you
mentioned?

John

Old February 17th 06, 10:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
nierveze

Litzendraht wrote:
nierveze wrote:

[...]

Hello John
first of all to share my happiness ,my bc624 is at home ,it took just a
week to come from Honolulu to France .This fact itself is
marvelous!!!It is in perfect good condition.It is marvelous to see 60
years old radio-set in such a nice condition ,it is nearly complete
,only the front panel mechanic to select channels ,has been removed .As
a begining I plan to use simple 2m yagi ,I have three of then 'tailored'
on 150 mhz that is an official band of radio-astronomy (shared with
other services ).In the beginning of radio-astronomy after several test
on microwave (around 3ghz) ,G.Reber finally used 169mhz ,a frequency
that is still in use in radio-astronomy
in several observatories .Here I have been using that frequency with
modified vhf radio-reciver (just cut one turn out of the input coils
,and tune again ,and tv antennas are ok)alas now there is lot of qrm by
vhf relais ,it is a local problem .I'll keep you informed .
You are right about the tubes ,I also have a gdo of that kind ,and
several acorn tubes .Thanks ,good bye 73 alain f1gqb

Old February 17th 06, 02:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Michael A. Terrell

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Litzendraht wrote:

Thank you Thierry for sending the schematic to Alain. I wish Alain well
in his radio astronomy ventures with 60 year old radio equipment.

I have them all the time. Can't somebody DO something about Jupiter
and the sun? They're always causing interference for me. Can't the
FCC get them shut down or something?
--scott

Yeah! Where is "Marvin the Martian" when you need him? I guess that
he is still looking for a Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old February 18th 06, 06:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Litzendraht

Chuck Harris wrote:
My first 2M rig was a decidedly breadboard contraption that used a
6J6 as a push-pull oscillator, and had a modified phonograph audio
output stage as the modulator. It had no xtal, and drifted so badly
that I could never be sure where I would end up. I ditched that
mess, and used a borrowed ARC-1 in its original 28V dynamotor condition.
The ARC-1 was pure pleasure to operate. It sounded nice (inspite of
its carbon microphone), and could change channels at a whim.

A lot of folks swapped 829's in for 832's in some of the vhf rigs, but
the ARC-1 was too compact for that treatment. The 829 was a fair bit
taller, and would run into the top of the bakelite socket assembly
the ARC-1 used.

-Chuck

Chuck,

I feel your pain. My first attempt on 220 mc. was about 1965 and I
used a breadboard contraption with a push-pull 12AT7 and I used the
output section of an Olson reel to reel tape recorder as a modulator
and B+ supply. It worked OK. Maybe a watt if I was lucky.

I remember the ARC 1's and was there an ARC 3 or 4?, but the 522's
were very common. One of my high school buddies had a 522 in the
original equipment case with the contol box. When he changed
frequencies, what a sound! Kind of a clacking, ripping noise as those
shifter slides did there thing. But it worked and sounded good. And my
"S" meter kicked up when he talked. If you recall, the driver was
modulated along with the PA.

I used 829's (or 3E29's) in both my 522 and T23/ARC 5 rigs. In the T23,
I got rid of the PA turret assy and replaced it with a nice 4 turn
center tapped coil and butterfly tuning condenser (from a 522 with a
couple of plates removed).

Those were the days! They'll never return, but I'm glad I was there and
had the experience. Sorta like steam trains and "hot boxes". How many
people today have ever seen a hot box? I'm glad I have the memories,
and no one can take them away.

John