Old June 14th 06, 04:05 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
w9jcm

Default Need help on bc 344/ARR7

Ok guys and gals I aquired a bunch of stuff but going with the first
one here the BC 344 low band reciever.. It got the AC plug and has all
tubes I am told this was working. Everything seems to be there. Am i
doing something wrong? I rigged up a ac cord plugged it in and
nothing..

Next up ARR7 military variant of the sx28. It has mods.. I cant get it
out of the box. but has a jones plug on the front and a old style i
guess you would call it collins type connector coming out the side.
Also a RCA jack on the side which i assume is for a sb -10 that i got
with it. What do i need to power this puppy?

I am a virgin on all this military gear.. had some grc 109s along time
ago but nothing like this.

Thanks

Old June 14th 06, 07:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Edward Knobloch

Hi,

The Heath SB-10 is not for use with a receiver.
It is a sideband adapter for the Heath Apache transmitter
or DX-100B transmitter.

An RCA jack on the ARR7 receiver may be for a Heath Q-multiplier,
which would add selectivity to the receiver, or can be used
to notch out a heterodyne. You will have to trace out
where that RCA connector ends up (once you manage
to get it out of the cabinet without hurting yourself!).

73,
Ed Knobloch

Old June 14th 06, 09:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
K3HVG

There's a Dzus fastener (1/4 turn) on the rear of the cabinet. That's
all that holds the slide-on case other then the fact that if they get
corroded, they are very hard to slide out of the case. Regarding the
receiver being an SX-28... more like the SX-32... maybe. Can't figure
why someone would rig a "Collins" connector out the side. I've seen the
Cannon plug on the front panel replaced with an Octal plug but that's
about all???? Curious.

Old June 15th 06, 03:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
w9jcm

You are so right I was wondering what that was for thank you. I have
the Q mulitplyer right here.. That answers that questioin. IF I can
take a pic and email it to you of whats here maybe you can give me idea
whats up?

John

Old June 15th 06, 03:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
w9jcm

Ok guys got the cover off this thing is like brand new.. Anyhow the
plug collins type maybe i am stating that wrong its a 4 prong plug the
older style thats round that is used on lets say heathkits etc... It
is wired to the Motor switch on the rig.. two wires to the switch.

Ok so now what sort of power do i need to get this thing going? I prob
can find a jones type plug but then again i could change that out to
todays standards also.. Is this 12V? I dont want to put power to it Id
hate to fry this thing..

Thanks
John

Old June 15th 06, 08:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
K3HVG

Ok.. the ARR-7 requires the following voltages:
270VDC .135A (B+)
24VDC .35A (motor and clutch)
6.3VAC 4.0A (fils)

This receiver ran off a 115VAC 400Hz aircraft supply, rather than a
dynamotor.

Old June 15th 06, 11:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
w9jcm

Ok I have a Lambda 32M 300 volt variable supply I am betting my bottom
dollar that it was used for this reciever. And the small power supply
that I have was made for the motor and clutch. I will look into this a
bit more. Thanks for the info.

Also just came across a ARB reciever that has some mods trying to
figure that out too. But think we need to take one project at a time
and thats the ARR-7. It is really in mint shape inside I am amazed.

thanks
John