Old July 14th 06, 02:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.amateur.swap,rec.radio.shortwave

Default Latest RADIOMART ebay scam!!!

I've made the same mistake once or twice myself, Chuck. It doesn't matter a
whole lot to me, since I pay off the credit card in full anyway, but I do
like to have that last bit of protection in case something goes really wrong
(which hasn't happened yet, but still....) and I also like to have the
one-month float.

I don't think there is a way to make the credit card the default payment
option; it's one of those annoyances in an otherwise good service. It's
curious why they didn't try the backup credit card right away. That's good
to know.

"Chuck Harris" wrote in message
Unrevealed Source wrote:

4) Use only Paypal, with a credit card, to pay for your purchases.

That brings to mind a question: Is there any way to stop paypal from
insisting on using your linked bank account as its first choice?

The reason I ask, is I accidentally forgot to check "more payment
options",
and didn't notice until after paypal finalized the transaction. Paypal
attempted to overdraw my account, and I got charged a $25 overdraft fee by
my bank. The idiots at paypal were going to retry this 2 more times
before
quitting, and using my "backup" credit card. If I hadn't noticed, this
transaction
would have cost me $75 in overdraft fees. There was no way I could cancel
the payment, and switch to a credit card.

I complained to paypal, because I thought they were supposed to check the
balance on the account before they tried to draw funds, but they ignored
me completely.

-Chuck

Old July 14th 06, 03:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.amateur.swap,rec.radio.shortwave

Unrevealed Source wrote:
I've made the same mistake once or twice myself, Chuck. It doesn't matter a
whole lot to me, since I pay off the credit card in full anyway, but I do
like to have that last bit of protection in case something goes really wrong
(which hasn't happened yet, but still....) and I also like to have the
one-month float.

I don't think there is a way to make the credit card the default payment
option; it's one of those annoyances in an otherwise good service. It's
curious why they didn't try the backup credit card right away. That's good
to know.

That, of course puzzles me too. I have had it make the right choice on other
occasions when the amount was several times the amount in this account. This
time, the account was about $7 short of the needed amount. It is an otherwise
static account, so its balance shouldn't ever drop on its own... they screwed
up, and I got to pay.

-Chuck
Old July 14th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.amateur.swap,rec.radio.shortwave

"Unrevealed Source" wrote in
:

I agree with all negative comments regarding RadioMart, but I think
most people in the hobby already know about him and have him filtered
out of their eBay searches. He caters to the newbies.

However, I disagree that eBay is a bad place to buy gear. It is
definitely the largest collection of radio and related equipment
available, and with careful buying it is possible to avoid being
taken. I have had a few attempts to rip me off, but Paypal is your
best friend when it comes to getting your money back. EBay knows it
can't afford to alienate buyers with a bad reputation and so it
protects sellers pretty well. And the nice thing about eBay is that
if a particular seller seems shady or uncooperative, just walk away.
Another one just like it will always come up.

Exactly. I have several pieces of ham equipment that I bought on eBay
and I got what I paid for every time. The only real problems have been a
couple of people who mistook a customs invoice for a declaration of
replacement value for transport loss. In one case the difference was
large enough to need correction.

But I have, looking around here, a keyer, paddle, microphone, HF rig,
antenna tuner, audio DSP filter, artificial ground, Noise canceller,
speech processor, flashlight and reading light--all acquired via eBay.
And that's just my desktop. Around the room, a portable air conditioner,
another HF rig, digital TV receiver, HDTV VCR, DVD player, stereo, HDTV
set, and VHF-UHF handheld. In my bedroom there is an old S38B
Hallicrafters. All from eBay.

The trick, you see, is to evaluate the listing (and the lister's
feedback) to ensure that the item is what you want. Then don't bid
anything more than you're actually willing to pay for the item. Take
shipping into account. This means you will lose a lot of auctions. But
you should not care, since you will lose them to people willing to pay
more than YOU think the item is worth.

Now, a fair amount of that stuff was new when I bought it and came from
dealers who happen to operate eBay stores. But a lot of it was second-
hand as well.

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667
Old July 15th 06, 02:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.amateur.swap,rec.radio.shortwave

"Unrevealed Source" wrote in message
EBay/Paypal do not always support the seller. Although I've had

relatively
few problems, by asking good questions of the seller and being willing to
walk away when things don't seem kosher, in the 4 or 5 times that I've had
to file a dispute because something was misrepresented, Paypal has sided
with me (the buyer) and I've always gotten my money back. It sometimes
takes a little longer than I would like, but if you're a reasonable buyer
and can provide the facts about why an item was misrepresented, you won't
have a problem getting things resolved.

Also, eBay/Paypal don't "side" more with either buyers or sellers. They
side with the party that is right, in their judgement, after looking at

the
facts. They know that they can't afford to alienate buyers with a
reputation as a place where you are easily ripped off. Confidence in the
buying experience is what made eBay what it is today, and they are not
stupid enough to give that up.

So if you have had bad experiences, perhaps it is because you have filed
complaints that were not reasonable, or maybe you didn't ask all the right
questions before you made a purchase. Possible?

Is it possible (just a little bit possible) that a scamming seller would lie
and
tell you what he thinks you want to hear rather than telling you that he is
selling
a piece of junk. Possible ?

"Don Bowey" wrote in message
On 7/12/06 4:23 AM, in article , "Unrevealed
Source" wrote:

I agree with all negative comments regarding RadioMart, but I think

most
people in the hobby already know about him and have him filtered out of
their eBay searches. He caters to the newbies.

However, I disagree that eBay is a bad place to buy gear. It is
definitely
the largest collection of radio and related equipment available, and

with
careful buying it is possible to avoid being taken.

There is no absolute way to avoid being taken short of trying to buy
elsewhere.

I have had a few
attempts to rip me off, but Paypal is your best friend when it comes to
getting your money back.

Ebay owns Paypal. They watch each other's backs.

EBay knows it can't afford to alienate buyers with
a bad reputation and so it protects sellers pretty well. And the nice
thing
about eBay is that if a particular seller seems shady or uncooperative,
just
walk away. Another one just like it will always come up.

After a sale, when the purchased item arrives and the buyer can see it

was
misrepresented, Ebay always supports the seller; that's where their

money
comes from.

Although eBay is convenient, the company employs dummys, and is

impossible
to deal with when there is a problem.

"Rev. Cleetus Poontang" wrote in
message
groups.com...
"Chuck - K1KW" wrote in message
. ..
Item # 9738158955
Check this BS out! Amazing that this jerk continues to sell on Ebay
with
his obvious lies and misrepresentation. This is nothing more than a
poor
homebrew fake. I know who made it and he made a few more out of
surplus
items. RADIOMART's stories are totally made up. He has no personal
collections, he swindles SK widows and runs another ebay name to buy

on
the
cheap and then makes up stories about the same equipment to lend
credibility. This guy is a snake. BEWARE!!!!!

There's one born every minute. (Especially on E-Screw!)
Anyone who would buy ham gear on e-Bay deserves to be taken.

Old August 1st 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.amateur.swap,rec.radio.shortwave

well if you read his "final thoughts" included in each auction, that
enough is to make a person run away. It's all a ridiculous joke except
it's not funny.