Old July 17th 03, 07:16 AM
Victor Thorn

Default Mike Gallagher: American Traitor

Do you want to find out what a total louse syndicated radio talk show
host Mike Gallagher is? Click onto:
http://www.babelmagazine.com/issue11...ertraitor.html

Plus, to read the entire truth about this phony, click onto The
Gallagher Chronicles:
http://www.babelmagazine.com/gallagher.html

Give us your feedback at:
Victor Thorn
Babel Magazine

Old July 18th 03, 05:42 AM
Mike Ward

On 17 Jul 2003 15:36:42 GMT, Rich Wood
wrote:

I read the letter you sent to Mike. As a long time Talk Radio
programmer I can tell you letters like yours, filled with vitriol,
aren't taken very seriously. Had it been civil and well reasoned that
would be a different matter.

Mr. Thorn has apparently tried to make a career out of being a "thorn"
(so to speak) in Mike Gallagher's side.

Mr. Gallagher made one mistake...when Victor called him once or twice,
he reacted to him on the air and probably gave him more attention than
he deserved. Victor has apparently seen that as an "entree" and is
trying to ride the "Mike Gallagher Gravy Train" to draw attention to
his own efforts (a Webzine, it appears).

If Mike Gallagher went off the air tomorrow, Victor would be upset,
because the Gravy Train would end. He'd have to go find another
nationally syndicated talk show host to bug, and try to get attention
from. Simple as that.

Mike

Old July 18th 03, 06:40 PM
BriMaloney

(Mike Ward)
Mr. Thorn has apparently tried to make a career out of being a "thorn"
(so to speak) in Mike Gallagher's side.

I've been wondering for some time if this was some sort of a prank or stunt
because it seems so silly.

Old July 19th 03, 08:33 PM
Charles Hobbs

Mike Ward wrote:

The funny thing is...Mike Gallagher's audience is relatively modest in
the world of nationally syndicated talk. If someone like a Rush
Limbaugh paid even the slightest attention to Mr. Thorn, he'd likely
have a heart attack from all the excitement.

I've never even *heard* of Gallagher until just now.

Who are the current top-10 talk shows? It's probably something like
1. Rush
2. Laura
3. whoever replaced Art Bell
4. Howard Stern
5. Bruce Williams(?)
6 ...

Mike

[ Moderator's Note: There IS a Mike Gallagher working for Clear Channel
in Cleveland, but he is a jock, not a talker. The Gallagher in Cleveland
has been there for years and I've never known him to do talk radio. ]

Old July 21st 03, 02:03 AM
David Eduardo

"Mike Ward" wrote in message

I guess the folks at Talkers magazine would be better off answering
this than me... but I believe ABC Radio's Sean Hannity is up at #2
now. I'm not sure Howard counts, since he's an FM shock jock. Your
#3 above would be George Noory, who is still probably in the top 5
even in Art's absence. Bruce Williams is now with TalkAmerica, but
has basically fallen out of the top echelon of talkers. (I don't know
his affiliate count or listener count these days...but it was somewhat
higher in the peak of his talk radio career with NBC TalkNet.)

Both Stern and Imus are considered talk show hosts. Since any music they
play is incidental, they are not jocks.

Per Talkers, the top shows based on cume a
1. Rush Limbaugh 14.50+
2. Sean Hannity 10.50+
3. Dr. Laura Schlessinger 8.00+
3. Howard Stern 8.00+
4. Michael Savage 6.50+
5. Art Bell - No longer on air 4.00+
5. Jim Bohannon 4.00+
5. Dr. Joy Browne 4.00+
5. Don Imus 4.00+
6. Neal Boortz 2.50+
6. Ken & Daria Dolan 2.50+
6. Clark Howard 2.50+
7. Mike Gallagher 2.25+
7. G. Gordon Liddy 2.25+
8. Glenn Beck 1.75+
8. Kim Komando 1.75+
8. Jime Rome 1.75+
8. Doug Stephan 1.75+
8. Bruce Williams 1.75+
9. Tom Leykis 1.50+
9. Michael Medved 1.50+
9. Bill O'Reilly 1.50+
9. Dave Ramsey 1.50+
10. Bob Brinker 1.25+
10. Dr. Dean Edell 1.25+
10 Phil Hendrie 1.25+
10. Rusty Humphries 1.25+

Old July 22nd 03, 01:08 AM
BriMaloney

(David Eduardo)
[...]

I'm not aware of many people who have faith in the accuracy of this list.

One PD told me it's partly based on a survey card sent to stations, many aren't
returned and what is sent back to them isn't verified with actual ratings. Do
the syndicators fill in the gaps? They are not known for being trustworthy in
this area.

Talkers relies heavily on ads from the syndication firms behind these programs.

One person on this list went up from last year despite losing his major
flagship station. He should have dropped based on the loss. The minnows he
picked up elsewhere wouldn't have been a drop in the bucket compared to the
huge hit taken.
The syndicator behind the show is a heavy advertiser in Talkers.

I also really doubt that Rusty Humphries has over a million listeners given the
tiny stations that carry him yet huge ads for his show run in Talkers every
month.

There are several others who seem to have inflated figures and at least one
(who never advertises in Talkers) who I think is understated.

Old July 22nd 03, 01:56 AM
Steven J Sobol

Mike Ward wrote:
He's popular in places like Greenville/Spartanburg, SC, where he
worked as a local host... but here in NE Ohio, he's carried on two
stations - live on Salem's new Cleveland market secular talker "The
Voice" (WCCD/Parma

Yeah, why exactly *did* they buy that station? WHK/1220's signal is
directional into the city, but purchasing WCCD couldn't have helped that.

[ Moderator's Note: There IS a Mike Gallagher working for Clear Channel
in Cleveland, but he is a jock, not a talker. The Gallagher in Cleveland
has been there for years and I've never known him to do talk radio. ]

Steven - what station for Cleveland's Mike Gallagher?

WMVX/106.5. Weekends, I think, but I can't verify that because their website
doesn't list their weekend personalities.

Gallagher we're talking about is a different person... a syndicated
talk show host. I believe out in your current area, KRLH/590 ("KRLA")
San Bernardino probably runs him... probably tape delay nights.

I have a car button set for 99.1 KGGI Riverside, so I would imagine I
should be able to listen to 590 too, though the mountains between me and
San Bernardino might make that difficult.

I am only a 25-minute drive from San Bernardino here in my temporary home,
although when I move to the new address advertised in my .sig, I'll be a bit
further out.

--
JustThe.net Internet & Multimedia Svcs. [The Fusion of Content & Connectivity]
22674 Motnocab Road * Apple Valley, CA 92307-1950

Old July 22nd 03, 04:03 PM
David Eduardo

"BriMaloney" wrote in message
(David Eduardo)
[...]

This list, as the heading indicates, is based on cume persons in the most
recent full Arbitron survey prior to its publication. I think it is based on
Summer or Fall 2002. While Talkers admittedly takes some liberty in
"weighing" the numbers, the general picture looks about right.

One PD told me it's partly based on a survey card sent to stations, many

aren't
returned and what is sent back to them isn't verified with actual ratings.

Do
the syndicators fill in the gaps? They are not known for being trustworthy

in
this area.

Cume is determined by Arbitron. Not by stations themselves. You may be
confusing this with the same pubication's list of "most influential talk
shows" which is a horse of a different color, and based on opinion, not
cume.

Talkers relies heavily on ads from the syndication firms behind these

programs.

And this does not affect the cume of the stations in the ratings. If the
cume figures are even close to accurate, the relative position and size of
the audience should be reasonably stated.

One person on this list went up from last year despite losing his major
flagship station. He should have dropped based on the loss. The minnows he
picked up elsewhere wouldn't have been a drop in the bucket compared to

the
huge hit taken.

There have been no full ratings for the entire US since Savage lost KSFO.
Arbitron ony started releasing Spring, 2003, ratings last week and is only
up to the top 10 markets and thier periphery.

The syndicator behind the show is a heavy advertiser in Talkers.

And the show was on the air through the last fullly published boo, Winter,
2003.

I also really doubt that Rusty Humphries has over a million listeners

given the
tiny stations that carry him yet huge ads for his show run in Talkers

every
month.

It only takes 25 or 30 stations with a cume of 50 thousand to make that
figure. It is not hard to fathom.

I work with the syndication of a morning talk show that is on only 7
stations, and yet cumes about 1.6 million. It is really not hard to build
that kind of number. It is getting above 4 or 5 million that gets tough.

There are several others who seem to have inflated figures and at least

one
(who never advertises in Talkers) who I think is understated.

Still, the list is a good approximation.

Rich Wood, who is more familiar with syndication, can probably contribute
some clarification.

Old July 23rd 03, 02:22 AM
David Eduardo

"Paul Jensen" wrote in message

"David Eduardo" wrote in message

Per Talkers, the top shows based on cume a
1. Rush Limbaugh 14.50+
2. Sean Hannity 10.50+
3. Dr. Laura Schlessinger 8.00+
3. Howard Stern 8.00+
4. Michael Savage 6.50+
5. Art Bell - No longer on air 4.00+
5. Jim Bohannon 4.00+
5. Dr. Joy Browne 4.00+
5. Don Imus 4.00+
6. Neal Boortz 2.50+
6. Ken & Daria Dolan 2.50+
6. Clark Howard 2.50+

That's a pretty bizzare way of counting!

Usually, ties would be expressed as 1, 2, 3, 3, 5, 6, 6, 6, 6, 9. In any
case, the rank is theoretically in the right order.

For national shows, cume is the only way of counting.

As another poster mentioned, the methods for adding cume in Talkers are less
than scientific, but are reasonably close and do give an idea of how the
individual shows rank.

Kalamazoo Cuckoo' ND8V GLENN B General 0 October 19th 04 03:15 AM
Kalamazoo Cuckoo' ND8V GLENN B Policy 0 October 19th 04 03:15 AM
Once upon a time in America there came to be a giant of an organization called the American Radio Relay League (ARRL). KC8QJP General 3 October 11th 04 10:44 AM
Once upon a time in America there came to be a giant of an organization called the American Radio Relay League (ARRL). KC8QJP Policy 3 October 11th 04 10:44 AM
Change the SSB power ? Thierry Equipment 36 October 6th 03 08:53 PM