Old July 23rd 03, 04:03 PM
BriMaloney

Default Network Affiliate Claims (was: Mike Gallagher)

(Rich Wood)
I'd say the list looks about right to me. at least the top 10.

The first 10 names or the "top ten" list with many more than that?

The
most interesting list will be the next one once Michael Savage's major
losses (KSFO and WABC) are factored in. I think you'll se a very
dramatic loss. KNEW offers no competition to KSFO. It'll take decades
to equal the KGO/KSFO influence on San Francisco. KGO just reached its
100th straight book as #1.

It depends on how badly CC wants KNEW to succeed. If they really put some
effort (marketing money) behind it, it could have a chance.

But Savage alone won't be enough and most of the rest of the current lineup is
probably temporary.

KSFO is in good shape as long as it has Rush but needs some freshening up
elsewhere. It just took a big hit in San Jose and other outside markets and a
small one in SF. Interesting to see what will happen.

Don't ever, ever believe what you read in ads or press releases about
syndicated programming. One small network claims more than 100
stations for a show that's actually on 3. It claims 500 affiliates.
Not a chance.

Exactly. Here's another scam: claiming in ads that you are cleared in San
Francisco, when your affiliate is in Napa or Santa Rosa, etc., or your
"Seattle" station actually in Port Angeles. I've seen this in trade ads.

Also, watch out for ads that claim percentage increases in audience.
"Buford Pudwallop has increased WXXX's audience by 400%." Generally
they don't tell you that WXXX had a .1 and, even with the 400%
increase barely makes the book.

Yes, and what demo are they using? Men 85+? They don't always tell you.

Old July 23rd 03, 07:17 PM
David Eduardo

"BriMaloney" wrote in message
(Rich Wood)
I'd say the list looks about right to me. at least the top 10.

The first 10 names or the "top ten" list with many more than that?

The
most interesting list will be the next one once Michael Savage's major
losses (KSFO and WABC) are factored in. I think you'll se a very
dramatic loss. KNEW offers no competition to KSFO. It'll take decades
to equal the KGO/KSFO influence on San Francisco. KGO just reached its
100th straight book as #1.

It depends on how badly CC wants KNEW to succeed. If they really put some
effort (marketing money) behind it, it could have a chance.

KNEW does not cover the entire market, so it is totally crippled at the
offset.

KSFO is in good shape as long as it has Rush but needs some freshening up
elsewhere. It just took a big hit in San Jose and other outside markets

and a
small one in SF. Interesting to see what will happen.

San Jose is an embedded market, as is Santa Rosa. Both are using very small
numbers of diaries, and tend to wobble; San Jose is about a quarter
Hispanic, so that causes the non-Hispanic population figures to be less
reliable. The SF numbers include both of these markets, and no other market
is significant for KSFO... as in producing sales (althought they were up a
tick in Monterey). In fact, in SF, the station was well within its range of
the last 10 books in the just-released Spring 2003 estimates.

KSFO has been 5.0, 4.1, 4.2, 4.0 5.7, 4.0 in the last 18 months in San Jose.
The aberration is the 5.7, not the 4.0. The station did not take a big
hit... it actually got a big kiss 3 months ago. It's in range, that's all.

The SF market is so geographically large, only a couple of stations fully
cover it day and night, and those are AMs like KNBR... even KGO loses a
piece to the E when they go directional at night. KNEW is not one of the
signals that can claim near complete coverage.

Old July 24th 03, 05:19 PM
Rich Wood

On 23 Jul 2003 15:03:37 GMT, ojnkugh (BriMaloney)
wrote:

(Rich Wood)
I'd say the list looks about right to me. at least the top 10.

The first 10 names or the "top ten" list with many more than that?

The top ten names on the list look right to me.

The most interesting list will be the next one once Michael Savage's major
losses (KSFO and WABC) are factored in. I think you'll se a very
dramatic loss. KNEW offers no competition to KSFO. It'll take decades
to equal the KGO/KSFO influence on San Francisco. KGO just reached its
100th straight book as #1.

It depends on how badly CC wants KNEW to succeed. If they really put some
effort (marketing money) behind it, it could have a chance.

KNEW is in Oakland and simply doesn't have the signal the competition
has. To beat KGO and KSFO they'll have to come up with an entire
lineup of Limbaugh quality talent. As a former ABC employee I'm
willing to bet that the San Francisco stations are left alone. No
corporate interference, no voicetracking, no corporate contests, etc.
Both Mickey Luckoff, the GM and Jack Swanson the OM/PD are brilliant
programmers and marketers. They haven't been beaten on KGO for 100
books (25 years).

Don't ever, ever believe what you read in ads or press releases about
syndicated programming. One small network claims more than 100
stations for a show that's actually on 3. It claims 500 affiliates.
Not a chance.

Exactly. Here's another scam: claiming in ads that you are cleared in San
Francisco, when your affiliate is in Napa or Santa Rosa, etc., or your
"Seattle" station actually in Port Angeles. I've seen this in trade ads.

Not my ads. I'm no longer with the network that makes those kinds of
claims. (Not WOR).

Also, watch out for ads that claim percentage increases in audience.
"Buford Pudwallop has increased WXXX's audience by 400%." Generally
they don't tell you that WXXX had a .1 and, even with the 400%
increase barely makes the book.

Yes, and what demo are they using? Men 85+? They don't always tell you.

If you're an Arbitron subscriber they'll be on your case very quickly
if you don't source your information.

Rich

Old July 24th 03, 09:50 PM
David Eduardo

"Mark Roberts" wrote in message
David Eduardo had written:

| KNEW does not cover the entire market, so it is totally crippled at the
| offset.

What part of the market doesn't it cover? I've never encountered a
problem in receiving it (as if I would want to, but that's another
story).

The market extends from north of Santa Rosa to around Campbell and Gilroy to
the south, and east halfway to Stockton and Sacramento. Most people would
say that a 10 mv/m signal is required to regularly and consistently overcome
manmade interference in large metros; the KNEW 10 mv/m signal does not come
close to covering the market in the daytime, and even less at night. Even
with the CP, they will miss a large part of the market, and continue to be
essentially unusable from San José south.