Old February 3rd 05, 07:05 PM
DennisN77

Default Note: The AOL Newsgroup service will be discontinued in early 2005.

For members using AOL over a dial-up connection, you will no longer be able
to access Newsgroups. If you have a separate high-speed connection, you can
contact your broadband provider to see if they offer Newsgroups. Newsgroup
services can often be accessed through a third party reader, such as Mozilla
Thunderbird

With the rollout of AOL version 9.0 you can't even read this newsgroup or
any other unless you use the old method, ala the AOL version 1 days.
Thanksfully I can access it through my SBC DSL account.

Dennis

Old February 4th 05, 07:04 AM
Sid Schweiger

With the rollout of AOL version 9.0 you can't even read this newsgroup or any
other unless you use the old method, ala the AOL version 1 days.

Funny how I have no trouble at all reading newsgroups on AOL 9.0.

Old February 4th 05, 07:04 AM
Scott Dorsey

In article , DennisN77 wrote:
For members using AOL over a dial-up connection, you will no longer be able
to access Newsgroups. If you have a separate high-speed connection, you can
contact your broadband provider to see if they offer Newsgroups. Newsgroup
services can often be accessed through a third party reader, such as Mozilla

With the rollout of AOL version 9.0 you can't even read this newsgroup or
any other unless you use the old method, ala the AOL version 1 days.

What is this old method?

Thanksfully I can access it through my SBC DSL account.

If you have SBC DSL, why do you even bother with AOL?
--scott

Old February 4th 05, 08:05 PM
SFbobby

With the rollout of AOL version 9.0 you can't even read this newsgroup or
any other unless you use the old method, ala the AOL version 1

Huh?? I have been on AOL since 1992 through all versions, and have never had a
problem. I now have 9.0Security Edition and it works just as smoothly as
always.

Neither my DSL provider in Vermont nor in Florida provide any sort of
reader...but I will now try Mozilla and Google.

I haven't found a better way than AOL for organizing all the varied things I do
online in one place. We travel alot, and the AOL Travel Boards can't be beat
for advice and info. They are accessable only within AOL. Instantly accessing
my portfolio with a rollover drop down menu is very quick and simple. Having
IM's and email right in front of me while doing myriad other things online also
counts for something.

Dealing with e-mail with either of my DSL services is painful...and with clunky
add-on spam filters. AOL mail is easy to use and I'm amazed how good the new
spam filtering actually works.

All this said...with AOL eliminating a simple way to organize my dozen
newsgroups...and now dumbing down the travel boards, I am lookin for an
alternative as soon as my annual subscrition runs out. I'm experimenting with
FireFox, and am open to recommendations.

Thanks for listening...

Bob

Old February 6th 05, 05:44 PM
Charlie

SFbobby wrote:
[...]

Firefox for browsing, Mozilla Thunderbird for Email and newsgroups.
Simple as that.

Charlie

--
To respond by Email remove never- from address