Old June 6th 05, 11:42 PM
Tom Betz

Default "An obituary for a radio station"

Quoth "Mike Terry" in news:d7vfqi$iv9$1
@xuxa.iecc.com:

I hadn't listened to the station in a long time

And that's exactly the problem. You are far from alone in this.

--
George Bush's War of Choice on Iraq is a totally unnecessary war.
Every life lost, every limb lost, every disfigurement, every

Old June 6th 05, 11:42 PM
G.T. Tyson

check our: http://home.nc.rr.com/gttyson/deadradio.html ...not
quite as earth shattering as the CBS FM format flip, but I'd like to
share it with the group so the nice lady will put a gold star on my chart

GTT

Mike Terry wrote:
I've "lost" radio stations before. WNEW moved away from the album cut
format. WLIR stopped playing new wave. Q104 went from heavy metal to adult
oriented rock. I've always bemoaned these losses, but never exactly mourned
the loss of a station. Until now.

When I heard that WCBS FM had changed their format, I felt like someone had
slapped me in the face. I hadn't listened to the station in a long time, but
knowing it existed was like knowing there was a friendly face from the past
still out there, smiling at you.

I grew up listening to CBS. I know the words to every doo-wop song. I
remember the intro songs - Those oldies but goodies remind me of....WCBS FM.
Don K. Reed. Norm N. Nite. The way it always sounded as if they were
broadcasting from an echo chamber. My childhood memories are so
intrinsically tied to music because there was always music playing in our
house. And it was always CBS. Hearing the news of its demise, I felt like a
small piece of my soul had been ripped from me. Dramatic, I know. But you
have to understand what part this station played in my life....

(more at http://asmallvictory.net/archives/009216.html )

Old June 9th 05, 09:17 PM
Rich Wood

On 5 Jun 2005 18:21:06 GMT, "Mike Terry"
wrote:

When I heard that WCBS FM had changed their format, I felt like someone had
slapped me in the face. I hadn't listened to the station in a long time, but
knowing it existed was like knowing there was a friendly face from the past
still out there, smiling at you.

Let me understand this. You grew up with WCBS-FM but no longer listen
to it yet you want it to stay around just because you know it's there.

You abandoned them. Even worse, you got older and ceased to be of any
value to them. That should be the slap in the face. There are many
things in life that we abandon yet retain fond memories. Is Viacom
obligated to keep WCBS-FM in perpetuity or just until you kick the
bucket?

I'm sure this decision was carefully made by the TV folks running
Infinity. I'm sure they'll give the format time (2 years) to grow and
prosper. I'm sure they won't adopt the TV habit of changing
programming every 6 months.

Have faith that "iPod on Shuffle" is just the awesomely creative new
format radio needs.

Rich

Old June 17th 05, 06:23 PM
Bob Haberkost

"Rich Wood" wrote in message
| On 5 Jun 2005 18:21:06 GMT, "Mike Terry"
| wrote:

| When I heard that WCBS FM had changed their format, I felt like someone
had
| slapped me in the face. I hadn't listened to the station in a long time,
but
| knowing it existed was like knowing there was a friendly face from the
past
| still out there, smiling at you.

| Let me understand this. You grew up with WCBS-FM but no longer listen
| to it yet you want it to stay around just because you know it's there.

Well, there it is, isn't it? Radio one grows up with, and grows out of.
Although I have to note that one of the reasons why people grow out of a
particular radio station is because the radio station fails to grow
themselves.

| You abandoned them. Even worse, you got older and ceased to be of any
| value to them. That should be the slap in the face. There are many
| things in life that we abandon yet retain fond memories. Is Viacom
| obligated to keep WCBS-FM in perpetuity or just until you kick the
| bucket?

Well, no....but Viacom should have found some creative innovations besides
playing the same 2,000 (or 4,000 or whatever) cuts day after day.

| I'm sure this decision was carefully made by the TV folks running
| Infinity. I'm sure they'll give the format time (2 years) to grow and
| prosper. I'm sure they won't adopt the TV habit of changing
| programming every 6 months.

| Have faith that "iPod on Shuffle" is just the awesomely creative new
| format radio needs.

I think you've made my point, if I can assume that it's your usually droll
wit, and not some hurrah for this new trend, eh?
Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty
by evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious
encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding." --
Justice Brandeis
For direct replies, take out the contents between the hyphens. -Really!-

Old June 20th 05, 10:31 PM
Rich Wood

On 17 Jun 2005 17:23:25 GMT, "Bob Haberkost"
wrote:

| Have faith that "iPod on Shuffle" is just the awesomely creative new
| format radio needs.

I think you've made my point, if I can assume that it's your usually droll
wit, and not some hurrah for this new trend, eh?

You can assume the former.

Rich