Old September 20th 06, 02:58 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Default Help with Grant President CB

I just inherited a Uniden? President Grant CB with SSB from my father who
just died.
I have tried a "Google" search for a owner's manual and have come up empty.

My main problem is that the radio powers up OK but the meter, meter light's,
and channel read-out all do not work.
When it is installed in my truck all I hear is static, same in SSB Hi and
Low, almost normal for where I live, North Central Wisconsin, near Eagle
River.

So anyway does anyone know of a GOOD, HONEST repair shop in maybe Wausau,
Green Bay or even Milwaukee.
Or for that matter anywhere in the US?
Any one know where I could find a manual? I did check the Uniden web site
but found nothing there either.

Or does anyone know what could be wrong with the meter, lights and etc?
My step mother said it worked a month ago just before my dad died, but she
knows nothing about it.
There are 2 small switches on the side both soldered to same "MB 8719"?
chip.
I know one is for extra SSB channels but I have no clue as to what the other
one does.
One switch was broken it was a SPST/Center off, I did not install the
correct switch
when I fixed it I put in a normal on/off switch.
Could this have anything to do with the meter/lights not working?

Thanks for the help
Klumze

Old September 20th 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

klumze wrote:

So anyway does anyone know of a GOOD, HONEST repair shop in maybe Wausau,
Green Bay or even Milwaukee.
Or for that matter anywhere in the US?
Any one know where I could find a manual? I did check the Uniden web site
but found nothing there either.

There is no such thing as GOOD, HONEST in the cb world. That's one of
them epoxy morons. It would be cheaper to purchase a new unit than take
to on of the dumb know-nothing clucks with a golden screwdriver.

Old September 20th 06, 04:15 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

"cmdr buzz corey" wrote:
There is no such thing as GOOD, HONEST in the cb world.

Hi JJ.

You just can't live without us.
Old September 20th 06, 02:00 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

"klumze" wrote in message
I just inherited a Uniden? President Grant CB with SSB from my father who
just died.
I have tried a "Google" search for a owner's manual and have come up

empty.

Wouldn't mind finding one myself... I've got one as well.

My main problem is that the radio powers up OK but the meter, meter

light's,
and channel read-out all do not work.
When it is installed in my truck all I hear is static, same in SSB Hi and
Low, almost normal for where I live, North Central Wisconsin, near Eagle
River.

Meter not working, could just be due to the settings of one or more of the
switches on the front, Might be set to measure SWR, or CALibrate, instead
of S/RF. Lights? Can't help with that at the moment...

Eagle River? Google says 69.9 miles to the west of me... Interesting...

Try out channel 19. Most likely this is where you will hear someone.
Trying it in the early morning hours. You should hear, if nothing else,
truck drivers yacking away. Also, try Lower Side Band between channels 35
and 40.

So anyway does anyone know of a GOOD, HONEST repair shop in maybe Wausau,
Green Bay or even Milwaukee.
Or for that matter anywhere in the US?

There used to be a CB shop in Green Bay, Believe it is/was called Mike's CB
Shop? Haven't a clue if he's still in business, or if he's an honest
shop/person.

Or does anyone know what could be wrong with the meter, lights and etc?

See above for meter, rest, don't know. Possible meter light is burned out.

There are 2 small switches on the side both soldered to same "MB 8719"?
chip.
I know one is for extra SSB channels but I have no clue as to what the

other
one does.
One switch was broken it was a SPST/Center off, I did not install the
correct switch
when I fixed it I put in a normal on/off switch.
Could this have anything to do with the meter/lights not working?

What you have is a channel expansion. This isn't just for SSB, it expands
the channels in any mode, Either SSB, and AM. Both switches are used for
the channel expansion. Depending on where each one is set, you will get
different bands of frequencies. This could also be another reason why you
aren't hearing anybody on the radio. If you have a second CB, hook it up,
no antenna needed. Set both radios to a common channel somewhere in the
middle 15 to 25. Transmit on the Washington, and see if you hear anything
on the other CB. If not, try a different combination with the switches,
until you can hear the transmission on the other radio.

Unless the switch that was bad had wires soldered to all three terminals,
you should be OK with the one you replaced it with.

No, the switch would not have anything to do with the lights not working, if
it is soldered to the MB8719 chip...

Old September 20th 06, 05:40 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

"PowerHouse Communications" wrote in message

"klumze" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you for your help! I have another CB and will try what you suggested
when I get a chance, maybe this weekend.
Mike's CB Sales and Service is still listed in the current GB phone book
it's on Military Rd. Being as my exwife and daughters
now all live in GB that may be the place to go....
Klumze

Old September 23rd 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
GHB GHB is offline

Hello "klumze", I still work on CB radios on occasion and also have a degree
in electronics which helps. However, I live in Oklahoma if you don't mind
shipping the equipment to me to fix. I have all the sams books and many
other related publications to CB radio as well as test equipment. I've
worked on CBs for years and should be able to correct the problems with your
radio.

Scorpio

Old September 25th 06, 09:03 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

"klumze" wrote...
I just inherited a Uniden? President Grant CB with SSB from my father who
just died.
I have tried a "Google" search for a owner's manual and have come up empty.

There are different versions of the Grant, you need to know which one you
have as they are different.

My main problem is that the radio powers up OK but the meter, meter light's,
and channel read-out all do not work.

It is possible that each is faulty, but I would look for a common negative
connection for the three.

When it is installed in my truck all I hear is static, same in SSB Hi and
Low, almost normal for where I live, North Central Wisconsin, near Eagle
River.

It is possible that the channel selector is also missing one or more
connections - so it will be stuck on one channel or not working on any.

So anyway does anyone know of a GOOD, HONEST repair shop in
maybe Wausau, Green Bay or even Milwaukee.
Or for that matter anywhere in the US?
Any one know where I could find a manual? I did check the Uniden
web site but found nothing there either.

Or does anyone know what could be wrong with the meter, lights and etc?
My step mother said it worked a month ago just before my dad died, but she
knows nothing about it.
There are 2 small switches on the side both soldered to same "MB 8719"?
chip.

Ah, an older Grant version. A manufacturer is unlikely to offer info on something
that old, but other sites may.
The board should have a number on it, something like "PC-409AC". This will
be on the component side, maybe near the front center of the board.

Get this, and you may be able to get the information from that number.

I know one is for extra SSB channels but I have no clue as to what the other
one does.
One switch was broken it was a SPST/Center off, I did not install the
correct switch
when I fixed it I put in a normal on/off switch.
Could this have anything to do with the meter/lights not working?

Unlikely, as they do not go through the PLL (MB8719).
Also, the channel display and PLL each use a separate section of the selector switch.

Regards,

Peter.
http://www.citizensband.radiouk.com/