Old February 26th 07, 12:14 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Default CBers

So does CB really still exist around the country?

--
Anthony Jones

Old February 26th 07, 05:20 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

On Feb 25, 7:14 pm, Anthony Jones
wrote:
So does CB really still exist around the country?

--
Anthony Jones

Well, I am a little new to CB, but I live in Johnstown, PA, and I
noticed that when my scanner scans the CB range, it never picks
anything up. Although when I was in Ebensburg, PA, a more rural area,
I was picking up a lot of truckers. I don't really hear much private
use of CBs anymore. I haven't tried New York, NY or Atlantic City, NJ
but as far as I can tell, it's dying a tad. I think it's due to Family
Radio Service, Cell Phones, Walkie-Talkies, Handie-Talkies, General
Mobile Radio Service, and more.

Old February 26th 07, 12:22 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

oups.com...
wrote:
So does CB really still exist around the country?

--
Anthony Jones

Well, I am a little new to CB, but I live in Johnstown, PA, and I
noticed that when my scanner scans the CB range, it never picks
anything up. Although when I was in Ebensburg, PA, a more rural area,
I was picking up a lot of truckers. I don't really hear much private
use of CBs anymore. I haven't tried New York, NY or Atlantic City, NJ
but as far as I can tell, it's dying a tad. I think it's due to Family
Radio Service, Cell Phones, Walkie-Talkies, Handie-Talkies, General
Mobile Radio Service, and more.

I'm new, too. I just got mine set up. So far, I detect only one side of a
business communication and some losers making goofball comments and the
occasional put down of prominent political figures. It's odd that I don't
pick up more because around the corner is a speed trap for the tourists in
the area and I'm surprised that people don't communicate warnings back and
forth.
Mindraker, Western North Carolina

Old February 26th 07, 01:41 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Anthony Jones wrote:
So does CB really still exist around the country?

Yes.
Old February 27th 07, 06:28 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Anthony Jones wrote:
So does CB really still exist around the country?

There are hot spots of activity. On my side of town there is nothing.
On the other side of town there is AM activity. Tuesdays have a net
on single sideband. Other folks report CB is alive and well. The last
skip cycle was so noisy, not because it was a strong cycle, but because
there are too many dirty amps on the air and a lot of people went ham.
Then last Friday, the CW requirement for ham radio went the way of the
dodo bird. Lots of techs are making waves from 28.3 to 28.5. If you have
a scanner, try listening from 144-148 and 438-450 for local activity.

Old February 27th 07, 06:39 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

wrote:
So does CB really still exist around the country?

--
Anthony Jones

Yes, but is slowly losing popularity. Ham radio is also losing
popularity, which is mostly why the code requirement was dropped.

Cellphones and the internet seem to be the main choices of
communication these days.

Old February 27th 07, 09:54 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

wrote:
So does CB really still exist around the country?

--
Anthony Jones

I hear activity here on a few channels.

Old February 27th 07, 10:08 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

wrote:

So does CB really still exist around the country?

--
Anthony Jones

Well, I am a little new to CB, but I live in Johnstown, PA, and I
noticed that when my scanner scans the CB range, it never picks
anything up. Although when I was in Ebensburg, PA, a more rural area,
I was picking up a lot of truckers. I don't really hear much private
use of CBs anymore. I haven't tried New York, NY or Atlantic City, NJ
but as far as I can tell, it's dying a tad. I think it's due to Family
Radio Service, Cell Phones, Walkie-Talkies, Handie-Talkies, General
Mobile Radio Service, and more.

I was into cb decades ago. But the hams around here messed that up for
me also with their criminal activitities, which I won't get into here.

It will suffice just to say that I'm glad the morse code requirement
was dropped and now maybe we'll get a bunch of decent people around
here as hams, who will outnumber the ham bozos who have been clogging
up and polluting the ham airwaves around here for so long.

They even went so far as to say (on the air) that they wanted to
pollute the whole planet since it gives them better dx!!!

While it's true that gives them better dx, I wouldn't want to pollute
the planet, and I don't want the planet polluted.

It just goes to show what kind of people they are and what idiots and
bozos they arel. At least around here.

Anyways, after a hiatus of several decades, I just hooked up a cb
again, and will soon be returning to the airwaves.

Old February 27th 07, 03:35 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

wrote:

[...]

Are handles really used on CB radio anymore?

Old February 27th 07, 06:11 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Are handles really used on CB radio anymore?- Hide quoted text -

All I can say is what I hear around here. I've been listening to
channel 19, the trucker's channel, and was surprised that I don't hear
anyone using handles anymore like they did back in the 70's and 80's.

I don't hear names either. Just talking and conversation.

Not that it matters. It was all civilized.

Not the cesspool hams claim it is.