Old December 14th 07, 06:07 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Default OT sorta - Icom 718

Anyone reading this ever try one?
Old December 14th 07, 02:15 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Hello Steveo:

Yeah I looked this up Ic 718 on the Icom web site. It looks like a nice
radio.

But let me bend your ear towards the Icom Ic 746 Pro. It has all the DSP
and digital IF Filters all ready to go. If yous ain't satisfied you can
always get your money back out of it.

I know the 746 Pro is going for around 1500 dollars. I have a 746 and a
746 Pro. I won't have another radio without DSP or digital IF Filters.

The 746 Pro "Button-ology" isn't too bad, as in user hostile. But the
manual was written by someone who needed to get out more often. And
proves academic achievement is useless without some sort of hands on
experience in life. A user friendly abbreviated manual is available for
around 22 dollars. I have one.

One of my pet peeves is a great radio that is user hostile, the design
works great, but the radio doesn't sell because the software guys where
allowed run a muck making it too complicated to use.
The radio is button-ology user hostile to operate.
This is managements fault for not having a separate group test and
evaluate the radio before production. And there is no excuse for this as
there are way too many fat, over stuffed, self centered, arrogant,
unemployed hams out there that can test the radios before production.

It would be a sad day for some of these guys if I where in charge, as
many would be escorted off the company property in handcuffs.

Jay in the Mojave

Old December 14th 07, 09:57 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Jay in the Mojave wrote:
[...]

Yeah Jay thanks for the references but the radio isn't for me, a friend of
mine was offered one at a good price and I was just curious if anyone had
any pros or cons about it. I'm not so sure I'm in love with the display on
those anyway. I'm not in the market for anymore radios right now, I have
too many already!

Old December 15th 07, 12:19 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

"Steveo" wrote in message
Anyone reading this ever try one?

my wife and I own they are nice basic radio my FT 847 is better but harder
to work

Old December 15th 07, 02:29 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Steveo wrote:
Anyone reading this ever try one?

I purchased a used 746 from a famous guy !

The backlight went out, and I repaired it. I also made a powerpoint presentation
on it.

Vinnie S.

Old December 15th 07, 03:03 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Steveo wrote:
Anyone reading this ever try one?

I haven't tried an IC-918. A guy has an 746 PRO and it sounds like a million bucks
on 2 meter FM and 10 meter sideband. The IC-706 gets hot just being on. The FT857/897
are great radios and mod easily for full coverage. Quite a few folks are getting them
because they are easy to operate and also have DSP IF filters are optional in this
unit but can be found on eBay.
Old December 15th 07, 04:03 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

On 14 Dec 2007 05:07:09 GMT, Steveo wrote:

Anyone reading this ever try one?

Rave reviews:

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/947

These eham reviews are great. They are all by users.

Vinnie S.

Old December 15th 07, 02:04 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

I believe any ham radio is a significant improvement over a CB radio.

Certainly not the 2 meter CB crowd...
Old December 15th 07, 02:18 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Scott in Baltimore wrote:
I believe any ham radio is a significant improvement over a CB radio.

Certainly not the 2 meter CB crowd...

Jay in the Mojave

Sorta Relevant jim CB 1 November 13th 07 12:46 AM
Canada: Repeaters Up The Alcan (sorta OT) RST Engineering Homebrew 6 June 13th 06 03:00 AM
OT sorta. Market for Shortwave Station Memorabilia? Brian Oakley Shortwave 4 December 23rd 04 06:31 AM