Old June 11th 06, 02:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
RST Engineering

Default Canada: Repeaters Up The Alcan (sorta OT)

Sorry for posting this OT, but those *&^&*(**& over on rec.radio.
amateur.misc make it impossible to post a serious question on that group.

Leaving Wednesday from Northern California for a trip up the Alcan to
Anchorage. Anybody got a good series of repeaters going up the highway
through Canada?

Jim

Old June 11th 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Larry Gagnon

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 18:59:57 -0700, RST Engineering wrote:

Leaving Wednesday from Northern California for a trip up the Alcan to
Anchorage. Anybody got a good series of repeaters going up the highway
through Canada?

Being as the Alaska HighWay runs through Alberta, British Columbia, the
Yukon and Alaska it is a simple matter to search google for repeaters in
those areas.

Try these to start:

http://www.rac.ca/opsinfo/repeater.h...%20in%20Canada
http://www.bcarcc.org/

Larry VE7EA

Old June 12th 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
RST Engineering

Thank you, sir, I appreciate the information, but I've got a list of
repeaters from Vancouver up to Anchorage. I've also got a list of repeaters
in Northern California, and I know for a fact that I could monitor 90% of
them for days on end without hearing anybody. What I wanted most of all was
a list of GOOD repeaters, ones with activity on them, between Vancouver and
the border of Alaska. I'll worry about Anchorage when I get there.

How about it; any recommendations for "good" repeaters?

Jim

news

Old June 12th 06, 05:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Larry Gagnon

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 16:47:45 -0700, RST Engineering wrote:

What I wanted most of all was
a list of GOOD repeaters, ones with activity on them, between Vancouver and
the border of Alaska. I'll worry about Anchorage when I get there.

How about it; any recommendations for "good" repeaters?

Jim

Well Jim, this is way off topic for this newsgroup but I don't think on
any 2M repeater, except those in very large cities, will you find too much
activity. AFAIAK 2M repeaters are "ham radio telephones". Most of the time
folks call only those they know and talk to only those they know. A bit of
a "club" thing really.

I have never found 2M to be much good on the road except for the odd
occasion - much prefer mobile HF CW and have had MUCH better luck getting
QSO's going doing that than I ever did while travelling with my VHF rig
alone. For what it's worth - just my opinion.

Also, as you know the population density in Canada, especially northern
Canada is significantly less than in the USA so there will always be less
activity than you may be used to.

Cheers....Larry VE7EA
Old June 12th 06, 11:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Highland Ham

R What I wanted most of all was
a list of GOOD repeaters, ones with activity on them, between Vancouver and
the border of Alaska. I'll worry about Anchorage when I get there.

How about it; any recommendations for "good" repeaters?

=====================================
The quality of any repeater is determined by the (content)quality of
YOUR communications. If you make an effort to activate and are willing
to have a sensible communication/discussion ,it will be a GOOD repeater.

In this respect ,sadly, a number of repeaters are not so good )

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH

Old June 12th 06, 05:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Caveat Lector

What I wanted most of all was
a list of GOOD repeaters, ones with activity on them, between Vancouver
and the border of Alaska. I'll worry about Anchorage when I get there.

How about it; any recommendations for "good" repeaters?

What I have found for the "farmland" repeaters is they are not amenable to
entertaining travelers.
Emergencies - yes. Recommend a restaurant - sometimes. Want to talk about
crop disease and prices -- they will talk for hours.

Hint - put a YL on the mic -- that will draw out some responses (;-)
--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

Old June 13th 06, 03:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

RST Engineering wrote:
Sorry for posting this OT, but those *&^&*(**& over on rec.radio.
amateur.misc make it impossible to post a serious question on that group.

Leaving Wednesday from Northern California for a trip up the Alcan to
Anchorage. Anybody got a good series of repeaters going up the highway
through Canada?

During my 1996 trip to Inuvik I had quite a list of repeaters along our
route. Up and back, I was in Canada for about 26 days. In that time I
think I got TWO responses via 2-meter :-)

-Bob Hoover
-(KA6HZF)