Old November 14th 08, 08:49 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Default Hello DX Radio sunspot 24

Where the heck is sunspot cycle 24? (i know be careful what you ask for)
but dang, almost no dx for months over here in N Ohio. We're running out of
things to talk about on the ground wave.

Worked Bermuda last Sunday morning for a door prize. :-P
Old November 14th 08, 11:21 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Hello Steve:

Yeah really! The local guys are saying that if we do not see sunspot
cycle by Thanks giving it isn't gonna happen for another year.

But the last few times the skip has come in, we hired a witch doctor for
a 96 pack and some mirrors, that performed a "Skip Shotin Richael"
that only seemed to work a few times. But it maybe the locals have a
better handle on the skip conditions than the academic achievement dudes
do. Who really knows.

Jay in the Mojave

Old November 15th 08, 01:32 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Hello Jay:

Dang, you are as crazy as a jay-bird. (rumor has it)

Reckon that has something to do with being radio fans and such, and btw
I've yet to see a corona coming off'in my antenna. Is that too much antenna
and not enough transmitter? shrug

Shot down and stuck in the mud here in the Buckeye.

Carry on sir.

Old November 15th 08, 12:52 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Hello Steve:

Crazy yes, but it keeps from going nuts, right?

Yes again, ya need a few more watts to make the antenna have a Corona.
But thats a good thing, as the Corona will some times causes the end of
the antenna to melt. We have seen that in beam antennas. The ends of the
driven elements have a significant corona and then melt the ends of the
driven elements.

See: http://neasmn.org/antenna/History%20...al%20Quad.html

The ends of the Yagi beam elements have metal balls installed to add a
significant amount of area to the ends, to NOT have the corona discharge.

I can't really believe your stuck in the mud after hearing how loud some
of the Ohio Boys were last time the skip rolled in.

Jay in the Mojave

Old November 15th 08, 07:54 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Steve wrote:
Where the heck is sunspot cycle 24? (i know be careful what you ask
for) but dang, almost no dx for months over here in N Ohio. We're
running out of things to talk about on the ground wave.

Worked Bermuda last Sunday morning for a door prize. :-P- Hide quoted text -

278-84-2053

Old November 23rd 08, 04:30 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Jay in the Mojave wrote:
Hello Steve:

Hello Jay, sorry for the delay in responding somehow I missed your post.
(response below)

Crazy yes, but it keeps from going nuts, right?

Crazy as a fox!

Yes again, ya need a few more watts to make the antenna have a Corona.
But thats a good thing, as the Corona will some times causes the end of
the antenna to melt. We have seen that in beam antennas. The ends of the
driven elements have a significant corona and then melt the ends of the
driven elements.

See: http://neasmn.org/antenna/History%20...al%20Quad.html

The ends of the Yagi beam elements have metal balls installed to add a
significant amount of area to the ends, to NOT have the corona discharge.

I can't really believe your stuck in the mud after hearing how loud some
of the Ohio Boys were last time the skip rolled in.

Jay in the Mojave

Copy that Jay, I have a feeling that melting my antenna won't ever be much
of a concern. :P

I've been looking at the Kenwood 922 running two 3-500z's to go along with
my ts-870. Those seem like decent amplifiers and to have a matching set on
the desk would be nice, although not a requirement. I like the Alpha line
too.

Oh well I'm still running four 811a's in the 30L1 for now..can't kill it.

73 to you and your family, and have a great turkey day.
Steve in N Ohio.

Old November 28th 08, 04:10 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Steve wrote:
Where the heck is sunspot cycle 24? (i know be careful what you ask
for) but dang, almost no dx for months over here in N Ohio. We're
running out of things to talk about on the ground wave.

Worked Bermuda last Sunday morning for a door prize. :-P- Hide quoted text -

Dude, I hear ya' on the sunspot thing. I can get some decent DX way
out on the water but the "norm" just hasn't been there. I did hear a
few players on the bowl the other day but couldn't get out with my
rinky dink. The only fire-in-the-wire I'm running these days is from
the mobile. I need to get a new amp for the semi-new boat but haven't
decided on what to purchase. I saw the Canadian site that used to
carry Griffy's amp (and a bunch of others) is no longer accepting
orders but the European sites are cranking out the linears to the U.S.
buyers. Take it ez up there in the Buckeye!
Old December 12th 08, 04:28 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

On Nov 14, 3:49*pm, Steve wrote:
Where the heck is sunspot cycle 24? (i know be careful what you ask for)
but dang, almost no dx for months over here in N Ohio. We're running out of
things to talk about on the ground wave.

Worked Bermuda last Sunday morning for a door prize. :-P

your wife smears alpo on her ass

A Sunspot Jim Kelley Antenna 85 September 28th 08 09:05 PM
OMG- Sunspot !!! Drifter Shortwave 1 September 24th 08 03:14 AM
Sunspot Cycle 24 SW4ever Shortwave 5 September 3rd 07 08:12 PM
Big sunspot 898 Howard W3CQH General 0 July 6th 06 08:17 PM