Old February 6th 04, 01:27 AM
jim

AstroDome3cx5000 wrote:
4-5 watts am dead key like your radio puts out is too much for most of the amps
copper sells. your at fault, not them.

THIS IS MY STORY- THERE ARE MANY MORE, JUST SEARCH THE INTERNET

buyer beware obviously but driving an amp with 4 watts stock and it
fries? if that is true then copper should make the caveat that only low
power is needed which brings up another scenario where the operator has
to turn it down. what a mess that would bring...

Old February 6th 04, 01:37 AM
jim

Steveo wrote:
jim wrote:

Steveo wrote:

jim wrote:

Steveo wrote:

jim wrote:

Steveo wrote:

I've blasted transistors in mobile amps and only paid the shipping
for the repair.
Like you said Jim, read the label.

have to ask the guy what the amp manufacturer is.
i have dealt with copper years ago and never had a problem though
their catalog at the time was cheesy.

Seems to be more and more horror tales about their support. I dunno?

i use aes for items now. coax, swr matchers, rotors etc. never had a
problem.

I can drive to them, 30 or so miles.

i can email 'em. 30 usec's or so hehehe. they are good, little pricey
but good.

I like to window shop there, sometimes you can pick up decent used
gear. Their web site sucks.

you know better than me on the used gear as i never go with that.
never tried their web site.
used consumerreports today to pick up a portable cd/mp3 player and a
wifi system...

Old February 6th 04, 01:57 AM
Steveo

jim wrote:
Steveo wrote:
jim wrote:

Steveo wrote:

jim wrote:

Steveo wrote:

jim wrote:

Steveo wrote:

[...]

That's cool, I fet first dibs tho..Gotta watch those used gear guys.

At any rate, I rarely drive out there unless it's something sorta
special, it's a fun place to pipe dream too.

--
Flyin' Ryan Newman
http://www.ryan12newman.com/carspecs.htm
Old February 6th 04, 02:03 AM
Steveo

jim wrote:
AstroDome3cx5000 wrote:
4-5 watts am dead key like your radio puts out is too much for most of
the amps copper sells. your at fault, not them.

THIS IS MY STORY- THERE ARE MANY MORE, JUST SEARCH THE INTERNET

buyer beware obviously but driving an amp with 4 watts stock and it
fries? if that is true then copper should make the caveat that only low
power is needed which brings up another scenario where the operator has
to turn it down. what a mess that would bring...

Is that a Nebo built?

Old February 6th 04, 02:07 AM
jim

Steveo wrote:
jim wrote:

Steveo wrote:

jim wrote:

Steveo wrote:

jim wrote:

Steveo wrote:

jim wrote:

Steveo wrote:

[...]

nothing here in this area like that. could go to the hamfest at
the local community college but thats it.

Old February 6th 04, 02:09 AM
MrTimNebo

nebo builts are all high drives. 50 watts pep is fine into all of my units.
dont try that with a skywave!

Is that a Nebo built?

Old February 6th 04, 02:22 AM
jim

MrTimNebo wrote:
nebo builts are all high drives. 50 watts pep is fine into all of my units.
dont try that with a skywave!

Is that a Nebo built?

look who comes outta the woodwork... c'mon tim, bringing the professors
amp into the open? thought we heard the last of that...

Old February 6th 04, 03:05 AM
Steveo

"MrTimNebo" wrote in message
nebo builts are all high drives. 50 watts pep is fine into all of my

units.
dont try that with a skywave!

Is that a Nebo built?

Does gw run Nebo built?

Old February 6th 04, 03:23 AM
Frank Gilliland

In ,
(BILL) wrote:

THIS IS MY STORY- THERE ARE MANY MORE, JUST SEARCH THE INTERNET
GROUPS!!!!!

The following is a copy of a product return report I sent to copper.

To who it may concern,
This amp was delivered to me on Jan. 9 2004, cod by ups. I hooked it
up properly to my Cobra 142gtl base and let it set at room temp to
allow it to warm up some as it came off the truck very cold. I used it
on AM for approx 15 min with no problems. I switched both amp and
radio to sb and spoke to a friend for a short time,no problems. I
keyed the mic again and before speaking the amp made a pop noise and I
noticed smoke comming out of the top vent. I shut unit off and put it
right back in the box that it arrived in. My radio was bought new by
me, and has never had any mods or so called golden screw drivers in
it. I believe the radio comes from the factory in good working order
and does not require any "fixing to operate properly, thus longer life
radio parts from undue stress. This radio does 4-5 watts on am and a
max of 12(with screem in mic) on sb. I use a stock cobra mic and a
solarcon antenna. These facts I have stated I swear to. I believe the
proper thing to do is exchange this unit for a new working one as I
believe the unit sent was defective. This would be the proper thing to
do rather than have the customer wait on repairs, parts or ect. If I
must wait then so be it. Thanks you, William D-n-v-n

Mr. D-n-v-n,
We received your amp back from our repair shop and they said that you
overdrove the
unit and blew it up. The repair bill will be $102.00. Let me know what
you want to do.
Thanks
Suzanne

YOU BE THE JUDGE OF ALL THIS_

What sympathy? Call 1-800-BOO-HOOO. Need legal advice? Don't buy illegal amps.
How about a technical opinion? Most "linear" amps are rated for peak power (PEP)
for both input and output. That means if it's rated for 4 watts input, don't
feed it any more than 1 watt RMS on AM or 4 watts PEP on SSB. If it's rated for
100 watts PEP output, that means you shouldn't run it any higher than 25 watts
out on AM. If that's the case then you probably did overdrive it. You could also
have some grounding issues, or a mismatch between the radio and the amp. And
here's some more advice: Learn what you are doing so you don't get burned in the
future.

FCC Amateur Radio Enforcement Letters for the Period Ending May 1, 2004 private General 0 May 10th 04 09:39 PM
Shielding Question Mike Coslo Antenna 12 February 14th 04 01:10 PM
chuckie blast from the past version 3..... gw CB 0 November 9th 03 02:05 AM
NCI filed Petition for Rulemaking Aug. 13 Carl R. Stevenson Policy 74 August 25th 03 01:18 AM