Old March 30th 04, 02:07 AM
Rob

Default A little help...CB Install

I installed a CB in my Jeep Rubicon for use when my buddies and I go trail
riding. I mounted a *ahem* 48" Radio Shack fiberglass whip on a right angle
antenna mount directly to the rear bumper. I ran a 20' Radio Shack 50 ohm
cable from the antenna to the transmitter mounted under the seat (Cobra 75
WX ST).
Power is supplied by a 4 ga. wire directly from the battery. I scraped off
paint under one of the seat mounting brackets and bolted the wire to that to
get a good ground.

The problem I'm having is calibrating the SWR meter. When key and hold down
the mic, I turn the meter's calibration knob all the way to the right and
the needle is still short of the calibration mark.

Rob Kulp

Old March 30th 04, 02:44 AM
Frank Gilliland

In , "Rob"
wrote:

I installed a CB in my Jeep Rubicon for use when my buddies and I go trail
riding. I mounted a *ahem* 48" Radio Shack fiberglass whip on a right angle
antenna mount directly to the rear bumper. I ran a 20' Radio Shack 50 ohm
cable from the antenna to the transmitter mounted under the seat (Cobra 75
WX ST).
Power is supplied by a 4 ga. wire directly from the battery. I scraped off
paint under one of the seat mounting brackets and bolted the wire to that to
get a good ground.

The problem I'm having is calibrating the SWR meter. When key and hold down
the mic, I turn the meter's calibration knob all the way to the right and
the needle is still short of the calibration mark.

Rob Kulp

Could be lots of things. First, check the radio and antenna on a friend's
vehicle to make sure they work. Check the coax to make sure there isn't a short
from the center conductor to the shield. Check the entire length of the coax to
see if there are any nicks, crimps or sharp bends. If so, or if you are using
foam coax (RG-xx/F), throw it away and get some good stuff. Wind your excess
coax in a figure-8, not a loop. Keep your ground lead as short as possible. Make
sure the antenna mount isn't shorted. Check your SWR meter to make sure you have
it set for the correct range. The meter could be bad, so test your installation
with a different meter. Check your DC voltage at the radio when you key up -- if
the voltage drops you might have a weak connection somewhere.

If all that fails to reveal the problem, seek a local expert.

Old March 30th 04, 05:03 AM
Landshark

"Rob" wrote in message
om...
I installed a CB in my Jeep Rubicon for use when my buddies and I go trail
riding. I mounted a *ahem* 48" Radio Shack fiberglass whip on a right

angle
antenna mount directly to the rear bumper. I ran a 20' Radio Shack 50 ohm
cable from the antenna to the transmitter mounted under the seat (Cobra 75
WX ST).
Power is supplied by a 4 ga. wire directly from the battery. I scraped off
paint under one of the seat mounting brackets and bolted the wire to that

get a good ground.

The problem I'm having is calibrating the SWR meter. When key and hold

down
the mic, I turn the meter's calibration knob all the way to the right and
the needle is still short of the calibration mark.

Rob Kulp

Have you hooked up an actual swr
meter? If so, what was it's reading?

Landshark

--
Hard things are put in our way,
not to stop us, but to call out our

Old March 30th 04, 01:00 PM
Dave Hall

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 01:07:55 GMT, "Rob" wrote:

I installed a CB in my Jeep Rubicon for use when my buddies and I go trail
riding. I mounted a *ahem* 48" Radio Shack fiberglass whip on a right angle
antenna mount directly to the rear bumper. I ran a 20' Radio Shack 50 ohm
cable from the antenna to the transmitter mounted under the seat (Cobra 75
WX ST).
Power is supplied by a 4 ga. wire directly from the battery. I scraped off
paint under one of the seat mounting brackets and bolted the wire to that to
get a good ground.

The problem I'm having is calibrating the SWR meter. When key and hold down
the mic, I turn the meter's calibration knob all the way to the right and
the needle is still short of the calibration mark.

If an SWR meter will not calibrate, there are 3 common reasons for
this (and a whole list of uncommon ones).
The first is an obvious lack of transmitter power. If your radio isn't
putting out at least a watt or 2, chances are you won't be able to
calibrate the meter.

The second is a radical fault in the antenna/feedline system. If the
cable or antenna mount is shorted, it can prevent the meter from
calibrating. One way to check this is to switch to the SWR position.
If the meter stays at the same point, you have a short.

The third common reason is a simple one. Is the meter hooked up
backwards? If you reverse the input and output connections, the meter
will not work properly, and you are actually trying to calibrate on
the reflected power (Which should be low). Again, a check for this
would be to switch to the SWR position. If the meter now pegs hard,
chances are you have it backwards.

Oh, and I just thought of a 4th reason. Are you sure you're on the
calibrate position?

Dave
"Sandbagger"
http://home.ptd.net/~n3cvj

Old March 30th 04, 02:48 PM
Lancer

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 01:07:55 GMT, "Rob" wrote:

I installed a CB in my Jeep Rubicon for use when my buddies and I go trail
riding. I mounted a *ahem* 48" Radio Shack fiberglass whip on a right angle
antenna mount directly to the rear bumper. I ran a 20' Radio Shack 50 ohm
cable from the antenna to the transmitter mounted under the seat (Cobra 75
WX ST).
Power is supplied by a 4 ga. wire directly from the battery. I scraped off
paint under one of the seat mounting brackets and bolted the wire to that to
get a good ground.

The problem I'm having is calibrating the SWR meter. When key and hold down
the mic, I turn the meter's calibration knob all the way to the right and
the needle is still short of the calibration mark.

Rob Kulp

First check what Frank and Dave suggested, then try this:

(hopefully your antenna is one of Radio Shacks adjustable ones)

1. Find out which channel gives you the lowest forward calibration
reading (1 or 40)

2. Note that reading

3. flip the switch to check the reverse reading.

4. Note that reading.

5. Change to the channel that gave you the highest forward calibration
reading.

6. Adjust the reading to same level as step 2.

7. flip the switch to check the reverse reading.

8. This will give you a "relative" SWR reading.

9. Depending on which channel gave you the lowest "relative" reading:
If your lowest reading was on channel 1, your antenna is too long.
If your lowest reading was on channel 40, your antenna is
too short.

Adjust your antenna.

Old March 30th 04, 06:23 PM
Dave Hall

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 13:48:06 GMT, Lancer wrote:

[...]

And if this works as described, when you are done, take your radio to
a local tech to determine why your power out is so low....

Dave
"Sandbagger"
http://home.ptd.net/~n3cvj
Old March 30th 04, 07:03 PM
Rob

I hate to admit it, but the meter was hooked up backwards.
Thank you for the help.

On another note, on channel 1 my SWR is 2 and on channel 40 it's 3. The
antenna is a 48" Fiberglass whip from Radio Shack and is adjustable. I'm
guessing that I need to shorten the antenna?

Thanks again,

Rob Kulp

Old March 30th 04, 09:44 PM
Lancer

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 15:20:20 -0500, Dave or Debby
wrote:

Don't buy Rat Shack junk!
Dave!

You mean don't buy any of Daves junk. You crow about your 25 years of
experience, but how many times have you answered someones question for
help? Why would anyone believe a word you say?

Old March 30th 04, 09:46 PM
Lancer

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 12:23:39 -0500, Dave Hall
wrote:

[...]

A really mismatched antenna could cause a low forward reading on an
SWR meter. Anyway, he did figure out that he had his meter backwards.