Old November 12th 04, 04:25 AM
Dr.X

"Dave Hall" wrote in message
You can probably get away with low sampling rates if you bandwidth
limit the hi frequency end to cut off at 4 Khz, and that way you can
use 8khz as the sampling rate (Niequest theorem 2x audio rate).
16bps is also satisfactory as a bit rate with these low fidelity audio
chips.

That's what I do with my voice grade recordings. It reduces file size
(and streaming bandwidth) considerably.

Dave
"Sandbagger"

Hi Dave!

I tried going to 8KHz and went down to about 6Kbps using the ACELP codec
from VoiceAge Corp. It produced that under water quality. When streaming 11
meters, I already have the poor quality of the band to contend with. Adding
my own noise was just horrid. Do you have any suggestions on better codecs
to use for this? I'd like to get just above adding that noise but not so
high that only 5 listeners would choke it up.

I have not tried 16bps. When my friend Bill gets back into town, I'll give
it a shot. I live in an apartment building so I can't set up an antenna
here. I have to live vicariously via his Antron. (****... that sounds gay)

Thanks.
-Dr.X

Old November 12th 04, 06:25 PM
Dave Hall

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 23:25:41 -0500, "Dr.X" wrote:

"Dave Hall" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I agree that 8Kbps is a bit "muddy" sounding. 16 Kbps is usually
better and considering the typically poor fidelity on the CB Band,
you really can't tell much of a difference. I use LAME codecs
exclusively to make MP3 files from WAV's and it seems to work ok for
my use.

The bottom line is bandwidth and I/O speed. Once you hit those limits,
there's no more to be had. Have you looked into the WMA format?
Supposedly it offers some streming advantages, although I haven't
tried them myself yet.

Dave
"Sandbagger"

Thanks.
-Dr.X

Old November 13th 04, 01:50 PM
Dr.X

"Dave Hall" wrote in message
I agree that 8Kbps is a bit "muddy" sounding. 16 Kbps is usually
better and considering the typically poor fidelity on the CB Band,
you really can't tell much of a difference. I use LAME codecs
exclusively to make MP3 files from WAV's and it seems to work ok for
my use.

Yeah, I use lame to make MP3's too. I think it's great.

The bottom line is bandwidth and I/O speed. Once you hit those limits,
there's no more to be had. Have you looked into the WMA format?
Supposedly it offers some streming advantages, although I haven't
tried them myself yet.

Dave
"Sandbagger"

For the last few tests we have been using WME with WMA codecs. It works
really well. There are several advantages to it but a few disadvantages as
well. I'm going to post the instructions and see what others come up with.

Thanks,
-Dr.X

Old November 13th 04, 02:13 PM
Dr.X

"Chad Wahls" wrote in message

I've only seen 1 hard drive failure and there are clones that auto switch.
Look around, we just sold 4 studio's worth of Scott Studio gear that was
only 4 years old. Pennies on the dollar! High end analog consoles are
coming around too, we are losing both of our only wheatstones very soon,

What are you gonna want for them? Not saying I'm in the market for one but
it's nice to know if it gets brought up. I'm sure you won't have them for
long if they're selling for cheap.

going to digital. Proprietary replacement parts are hart to find as I
beleive they no longer support them, be easy on the faders and you should

be
fine.

Try telling that to the monkeys operating them. :-| I've gotten mixers back
that were in service for maybe a week that had more cafeen in them than the
Mr. Coffee pot in the break room.

All electronic parts such as op-amps, etc. are still in production
and quite common. I'll stick with whizzing drives, they are cheap,
reliable, and seem to make the most sense to me. But I like my digital
consoles Where are you located, My boss (cheif engineer) is corporate
and we travel all over the US building studios,

I'm in St. Petersburg, Fl. accross the bay from Tampa. (wfla territory)

we may have to meet up for
tours, lunch, drinks, and strippers!

That would be fun but dude, I'm a part-timer, not Bubba the Love Spunge. lol
:-)

Chad

-Dr.X

Old November 15th 04, 02:51 PM
Chad Wahls

"Dr.X" wrote in message
"Chad Wahls" wrote in message

I've only seen 1 hard drive failure and there are clones that auto
switch.
Look around, we just sold 4 studio's worth of Scott Studio gear that was
only 4 years old. Pennies on the dollar! High end analog consoles are
coming around too, we are losing both of our only wheatstones very soon,

What are you gonna want for them? Not saying I'm in the market for one but
it's nice to know if it gets brought up. I'm sure you won't have them for
long if they're selling for cheap.

Don't know yet, but I'll let you know.

going to digital. Proprietary replacement parts are hart to find as I
beleive they no longer support them, be easy on the faders and you should

be
fine.

Try telling that to the monkeys operating them. :-| I've gotten mixers
back
that were in service for maybe a week that had more cafeen in them than
the
Mr. Coffee pot in the break room.

The first week in the new rooms I walked into a studio to find one of our
female DJ's with the wrapper of a toasted sub sandwich spread across the
console and she was a chowin down. On the meter bridge...... her drink. I
became explosively convincing that there was to be no food or drink, except
water, in the studios. Until she was fired

All electronic parts such as op-amps, etc. are still in production
and quite common. I'll stick with whizzing drives, they are cheap,
reliable, and seem to make the most sense to me. But I like my digital
consoles Where are you located, My boss (cheif engineer) is corporate
and we travel all over the US building studios,

I'm in St. Petersburg, Fl. accross the bay from Tampa. (wfla territory)

we may have to meet up for
tours, lunch, drinks, and strippers!

That would be fun but dude, I'm a part-timer, not Bubba the Love Spunge.
lol
:-)

I'll keep it in mind, I have an old live sound buddy down there working and
we need to get down to see him.

Chad

Old November 15th 04, 03:22 PM
Twistedhed

Dr. X, you going to be transmitting tonight?

Old November 15th 04, 03:42 PM
Twistedhed

Mopar,,,,check with X tonight,,,if he will be transmitting, I'll wave a
hand at ya' this evening....(no politics : ).....might even toss in some
echo and a beep or two for the fans.