Old November 24th 04, 12:39 AM
Steveo

jrd wrote:
only a few hours left. Looks like its gonna go cheap!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&item=57332179
25&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Those roadtalkers used to be good radios. Remember those, Frank?
Old November 24th 04, 02:14 AM
jrd

Default sears roadtalker 40 ch am\ssb on ebay

only a few hours left. Looks like its gonna go cheap!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
Old November 24th 04, 02:15 AM
Frank Gilliland

On 24 Nov 2004 00:39:28 GMT, Steveo
wrote in :

jrd wrote:
only a few hours left. Looks like its gonna go cheap!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&item=57332179
25&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Those roadtalkers used to be good radios. Remember those, Frank?

I have a few in the scrap heap (bad mods). I even have a JC Penney SSB
model and an identical SSB Roadtalker. I tried to get one of them
working with parts from both. Turns out the VCO isn't designed to
cover bandwidth much larger than the CB (which is probably why the
mods didn't work), and barely worked at all after being 'tweaked' by
whatever moron did the mods.

It's a real shame to see decent radios destroyed by twits who can't be
satisfied with 40 channels.

Old November 24th 04, 02:58 AM
Steveo

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...501&item=57332
179 25&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Those roadtalkers used to be good radios. Remember those, Frank?

I have a few in the scrap heap (bad mods). I even have a JC Penney SSB
model and an identical SSB Roadtalker. I tried to get one of them
working with parts from both. Turns out the VCO isn't designed to
cover bandwidth much larger than the CB (which is probably why the
mods didn't work), and barely worked at all after being 'tweaked' by
whatever moron did the mods.

It's a real shame to see decent radios destroyed by twits who can't be
satisfied with 40 channels.

Yep, I had one years ago and the audio was sweet on SSB. It would be
nice to find one that hasn't been screw-drivered yet.

My friend had the JC model and that was tall cotton back then.
Old November 24th 04, 03:30 AM
Frank Gilliland

wrote in :

jrd wrote:
only a few hours left. Looks like its gonna go cheap!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...501&item=57332
179 25&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Those roadtalkers used to be good radios. Remember those, Frank?

I have a few in the scrap heap (bad mods). I even have a JC Penney SSB
model and an identical SSB Roadtalker. I tried to get one of them
working with parts from both. Turns out the VCO isn't designed to
cover bandwidth much larger than the CB (which is probably why the
mods didn't work), and barely worked at all after being 'tweaked' by
whatever moron did the mods.

It's a real shame to see decent radios destroyed by twits who can't be
satisfied with 40 channels.

Yep, I had one years ago and the audio was sweet on SSB.

That was due to their crystal filters, probably the best ever used on
a production CB -- damn fine coffee!!!

It would be
nice to find one that hasn't been screw-drivered yet.

It would be nice to find -any- vintage SSB rig that hasn't been
ruined.

My friend had the JC model and that was tall cotton back then.

The subject got me thinking about it so I looked in the pile a few
minutes ago. I didn't find the SSB rig, but I -did- find a JC Penney
"scanning" CB..... hmmmm, I gotta take that to the shop tomorrow and
check it out.

Old November 24th 04, 03:37 AM
Steveo

Frank Gilliland wrote:
hmmmm, I gotta take that to the shop tomorrow and
check it out.

Please report back if it's good. The nostalgia needs two no.
Old November 24th 04, 06:05 AM
starlord

I had 3 of them at one time, two of the led models ( leds never burned
out ), one in each of my cars back then, and the big SSB/AM Base/mobil too
as a base on a combo PDLII and Starduster.

To bad I didn't see it, but had to work on my car today to get it running.
Every time I've tried for a Sears SSB/Am radio, the price has gone way over
what I could pay.

KAPA 4318
Sears SSB #1

--

The Forgotten
http://home.inreach.com/starlord/forgotten.htm

"Steveo" wrote in message
jrd wrote:
only a few hours left. Looks like its gonna go cheap!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&item=57332179
25&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Those roadtalkers used to be good radios. Remember those, Frank?

---

Old November 24th 04, 06:20 AM
Steveo

"starlord" wrote:
I had 3 of them at one time, two of the led models ( leds never burned
out ), one in each of my cars back then, and the big SSB/AM Base/mobil
too as a base on a combo PDLII and Starduster.

Rock on with the throw-back. Good radio.
Old November 24th 04, 01:36 PM
starlord

Ya, they where, one walked off when my car window got smashed while I was
out driving my yellow cab. The other one lasted a few more years until I got
a call at work that my then wifes car had been hit while parked and had been
totaled.

So for a long time all I had left was that BIG Base/mobil and it was a good
radio. Then a lighting hit on power lines took out the AC power supply so I
took it into a CB shop in Sunland,CA. to have that fixed.

When I got it back, I don't know what he did, but it was trashed, when I
went back on the air, not even a 100mw walkie sitting a block away could
hear me!

Sad to say that 2 other shops later on and it died . There was one of those
not long ago on e-bay and only about 50 miles from me and for awhile my bids
where doing fine, then the last day, it went threw the roof, leaving me far
out of the game..

So it looks like I'm stuck with AM when I get it set up in my car with the
104in steel whip.

KAPA 4318

Old November 24th 04, 06:52 PM
Keith Hosman KC8TCQ

wrote in :

jrd wrote:
[...]

I have in my collection of old radios one of the Roadtalker SSB rigs, as
well as the identical JC Penny radio, as well as a Realistic Navaho SSB rig,
two Johnson Viking Messengers, and 2 Browning Golden Eagle Mark IV's sill in
original packaging and never been opened. All radios are fully functional
and to my knowledge have ever been modified.

Maybe someday I might consider selling them but for now I keep them in a
closet upstairs in my radio room. I also have a President Washington that
has been modified to do 10M with a transverter for 6M inline.

73 de Keith

Just found a Sears Roadtalker 40 Base Unit Alex CB 1 November 9th 04 08:56 PM
Sears Roadtalker... FLEXECUTIVECAR CB 3 April 8th 04 05:57 PM
ebay message? hoax or real? AO KD5FXT Equipment 18 February 24th 04 11:58 PM
ebay message? hoax or real? AO KD5FXT Equipment 0 February 20th 04 09:24 PM
FS: 2 Cb's for sale Sears Roadtalker and Uniden PC 76XL (older) john doe CB 0 August 4th 03 11:33 PM