Old December 30th 04, 01:51 AM
Jay in the Mojave

Hello Stevo:

Yeah there is a few Interceptor 10K Antennas out there as marine
antennas. The fishermen call the CB the Mickey Mouse, but with a good
antenna can make real long contact distances. So some of then have
gotten ham license and talk on 10 meters as it is empty most of the time.
I have gotten reports back on 50 to 60 miles over the water. These guys
are up on 29 MHz simplex FM.

Jay in the Mojave

Steveo wrote:
Jay in the Mojave wrote:

The boat had two engines and each engine had 2 alternators.

Must of had one of those big radios. Did he have an I 10-K on it too?

Old December 30th 04, 01:57 AM
Steveo

That's a fairly odious boat antenna..could you run it without the ground
plane radials, and use the water for a counter-poise? That would sure
lighten the friggin' wind load a bit.

I was only ribbing ya a bit, Jay. I've been real happy with mine. (not on
my boat)

Old December 30th 04, 02:11 AM
Frank Gilliland

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 19:23:28 -0600, itoldyouiamnotiamnotgeorge
wrote in
:

Frank Gilliland wrote in
:

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 17:55:16 -0600, itoldyouiamnotiamnotgeorge
wrote in
:

Frank Gilliland wrote in
:

Current equalizing resistors is another way to do it. It's common
practice in SS audio amps to use emitter resistors to equalize the
currents between parallel transistors. But I would hesitate using
them with modern alternators because I don't know how it would screw
with the regulators -- some have a local sense line and others have
a remote sense line -- a resistor in the load might send the
regulator into seizures.

Frank it is very easy a single regulator will control the field
voltage on
both alternators. This way they would run the same and share the
"Load"

I thought about that, but wouldn't the rotors need to be locked in
phase?

Yes if they are on the same belt they will be in phase with each other.

Belts slip.

Old December 30th 04, 02:41 AM
Steveo

itoldyouiamnotiamnotgeorge
wrote:
Steveo wrote in
news:20041229202706.544$H7 @newsreader.com:

itoldyouiamnotiamnotgeorge
wrote:
-snip-
Hey Geo, what do you think of Kevin Millwood? The Tribe may sign him
to a one year deal.

He didnt live up to expectations in Philly.

That's kinda his mantra. His arm is under the microscope for this deal to
happen..the Indians are really tight with their cash since Jacobs sold the
team. I'd say he's worth a shot on a one year/7 mill deal. Reckon?
Old December 30th 04, 02:49 AM
Frank Gilliland

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 20:38:30 -0600, itoldyouiamnotiamnotgeorge
wrote in
:

snip
Belts slip.

Belts slip?? why would the belts slip? you lost me, which isnt hard.

If you want to synchronize generators (or alternators) you need a
chain, gears, or a toothed belt. You can't use smooth belts because
they slip. That's why your car has a timing chain to drive the
camshaft, not a timing belt (unless you own a Pinto which had a
toothed timing belt -- one of Ford's "better ideas").

Old December 30th 04, 03:08 AM
Steveo

itoldyouiamnotiamnotgeorge
wrote:
Steveo wrote in
:

wrote:
-snip-
Hey Geo, what do you think of Kevin Millwood? The Tribe may sign
him to a one year deal.

He didnt live up to expectations in Philly.

That's kinda his mantra. His arm is under the microscope for this deal
to happen..the Indians are really tight with their cash since Jacobs
sold the team. I'd say he's worth a shot on a one year/7 mill deal.
Reckon?

Heck give me a million i will start 25-30 games.

Last time I looked, they're not offering contracts to the over the hill
gang..myself included. I could throw that left hand curve by you 25 years
ago tho..

AL may be tougher for
him, he may pitch well his first time thru teams since they wont be
familair with his "stuff".

I hope so. I'd be happy if he won 14 games.
Old December 30th 04, 03:14 AM
Frank Gilliland

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 20:59:50 -0600, itoldyouiamnotiamnotgeorge
wrote in
:

Frank Gilliland wrote in
:

If you want to synchronize generators (or alternators) you need a
chain, gears, or a toothed belt. You can't use smooth belts because
they slip. That's why your car has a timing chain to drive the
camshaft, not a timing belt (unless you own a Pinto which had a
toothed timing belt -- one of Ford's "better ideas").

Franks they won't slip if thes slip you need a belt tensioner, idler
pulley, spring loaded tensioner or tighten them. Take a look at some of the
keyclown sites they have 3,4,5,6,8+ alternators on their vehicles doubt
they slip much.

Put two pulleys of equal diameter on a belt, put timing marks on them
to indicate their phase relative to each other, then run the belt for
a few minutes. I can almost -guarantee- that the marks won't be in
phase when the belt stops. If they are, run the belt for a few more
minutes and they won't be in phase. That's because belts slip.

Old December 30th 04, 04:20 AM
TeranewsUser

itoldyouiamnotiamnotgeorge wrote:
Heck give me a million i will start 25-30 games.

Save your arm. If you stop fisting your mother she might ask you to move
out of her basement.

Old December 30th 04, 02:59 PM
Lancer

Frank Gilliland wrote:

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 17:55:16 -0600, itoldyouiamnotiamnotgeorge
wrote in
:

Frank Gilliland wrote in
m:

Current equalizing resistors is another way to do it. It's common
practice in SS audio amps to use emitter resistors to equalize the
currents between parallel transistors. But I would hesitate using them
with modern alternators because I don't know how it would screw with
the regulators -- some have a local sense line and others have a
remote sense line -- a resistor in the load might send the regulator
into seizures.

Frank it is very easy a single regulator will control the field voltage
on
both alternators. This way they would run the same and share the "Load"

I thought about that, but wouldn't the rotors need to be locked in
phase?

Phase? The control voltage is DC, the output is DC, am I missing something?
Wouldn't you just want the outputs to be at the same level?
Old December 30th 04, 03:21 PM
Frank Gilliland

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 14:59:40 GMT, Lancer wrote in
:

Frank Gilliland wrote:

[...]

The control (field) current is fluctuating DC, isn't it? Isn't that
how the regulator smooths the output (which would be fluctuating DC if
the field current was steady)?

Wouldn't you just want the outputs to be at the same level?

That's the plan. But regulators are like little kids with a new toy.
When you put two or more regulators in parallel (without current
equalizing resistors) it's almost impossible to make them share the
load equally.