Old February 15th 05, 04:18 AM
Vinnie S.

Default Sideband problem solved

Astron RS-35M took care of that. At least I now have a supply for my ham rig
when I get it. Thanks for eveyone's help here.

Vinnie S.
Old February 15th 05, 01:44 PM
Vinnie S.

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 23:18:29 -0500, Vinnie S. wrote:

Astron RS-35M took care of that. At least I now have a supply for my ham rig
when I get it. Thanks for eveyone's help here.

Vinnie S.

Well, I of the 2 problems is solved. The cutting out on SSB after 3 seconds is
solved. The Astron took care of that.

But I am still having that "carrier" problem on SSB. For some reason, as soon as
I speak into the mic, the radio holds power, as if it were on AM. The TX meter
on the radio shows this, and the SWR/power meter shows this. The power is not
fluctuating with modulation. The power is not high, about 20 watts peak. Seem
the previous owner had it turned down. Like I said, it seems to do this as soon
as I speak into the mic. Even a subtle noise will send it to max, and stay
there. Changed mics, and have the same problem.

I am going t try this in the car and see what I get.

Vinnie S.
Old February 15th 05, 03:06 PM
Dave Hall

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 08:44:34 -0500, Vinnie S.
wrote:

[...]

This is a common problem. In many cases, if you remove the cover the
problem will go away. The final stage is going into oscillation and
the "carrier" you see is that oscillation. Usually (and unfortunately)
the oscillation falls in the 29 Mhz area.

Sometimes this problem is caused by added mods that people add to try
to squeeze a few more watts out of it. There are added capacitors on
the bottom side of the board that can cause this. If you see an extra
cap (or two in parallel) on the underside of the board connected to
the final, remove it and that should cure your problem.

Dave
"Sandbagger"

Old February 15th 05, 04:03 PM
Vinnie S.

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 10:06:20 -0500, Dave Hall wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I have not added any mods. I wanted to add some Schottkey diodes for the
receive. However, I have not gone thru the radio to see if the previous owner
added any mods.

Vinnie S.
Old February 15th 05, 04:06 PM
Vinnie S.

[...]

You nailed it on the head. Cover off, oscillation gone. Now I have to isolate
it.

Vinnie S.

Old February 15th 05, 04:15 PM
Vinnie S.

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 16:11:21 GMT, "U Know Who" wrote:

This is a common problem. In many cases, if you remove the cover the
problem will go away. The final stage is going into oscillation and
the "carrier" you see is that oscillation. Usually (and unfortunately)
the oscillation falls in the 29 Mhz area.

Sometimes this problem is caused by added mods that people add to try
to squeeze a few more watts out of it. There are added capacitors on
the bottom side of the board that can cause this. If you see an extra
cap (or two in parallel) on the underside of the board connected to
the final, remove it and that should cure your problem.

You nailed it on the head. Cover off, oscillation gone. Now I have to
isolate
it.

Vinnie S.

Rebias the output.

Damn !!!!

I was hoping I didn't have to use a DMM. The DMM I have doesn't have current
measurements. Well, it's not mine. Mine was actually (Fluke 77). stolen. I have
a scope, and freq counter. But to way to adjust bias current. I will ne to get a
hold of another DMM.

Vinnie S.
Old February 15th 05, 04:22 PM
U Know Who

"Vinnie S." wrote in message
[...]

I have seen the same situation you are describing in a 2510. The guy never
used it SSB, and it worked fine on AM. He later sold it to someone who did
use SSB. Turned out the "Tech" who did the frequency mod on the radio was
also asked to tune it for maximum. He did so, but never noticed it went into
oscillation on SSB. After resetting the bias to the correct level, the
problem went away.

Hope this helps.

Old February 15th 05, 04:24 PM
Vinnie S.

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 16:22:55 GMT, "U Know Who" wrote:

[...]

Does help. Thanks !!!!!!

Vinnie S.
Old February 15th 05, 06:27 PM
Dave Hall

wrote:

Sometimes this problem is caused by added mods that people add to try
to squeeze a few more watts out of it. There are added capacitors on
the bottom side of the board that can cause this. If you see an extra
cap (or two in parallel) on the underside of the board connected to
the final, remove it and that should cure your problem.

You nailed it on the head. Cover off, oscillation gone. Now I have to
isolate
it.

Vinnie S.

Rebias the output.

Probably not a bad idea.

Dave
"Sandbagger"

RFI problem solved! Brian Shortwave 45 December 19th 04 03:07 PM
HF reception problems solved (for the most part) tommyknocker Shortwave 5 November 30th 04 03:13 PM
Dots Problem Solved Jim Thornton Shortwave 5 June 24th 04 06:23 PM
solved: Mystery on 6507 RedOctober90 Shortwave 3 October 20th 03 02:20 AM
Reflection Coefficient Challenge Solved Richard Harrison Antenna 5 September 12th 03 08:25 PM