Old December 16th 04, 07:08 PM
Brian

Default RFI problem solved!

Well, it's been a long time coming, but the mystery is solved, and can you
believe in the end it was just a TV. I think someone even suggested it may
be a television, and I nearly disregarded the idea for it's simplicity.
Well, it looks like I can finally get back to enjoying my radio as I haven't
in a good while. Thank you to everybody for your help and suggestions. 73,
and now for some good dx.

-Brian

Old December 16th 04, 07:25 PM
MnMikew

"Brian" wrote in message
nk.net...
Well, it's been a long time coming, but the mystery is solved, and can you
believe in the end it was just a TV. I think someone even suggested it may
be a television, and I nearly disregarded the idea for it's simplicity.
Well, it looks like I can finally get back to enjoying my radio as I

haven't
in a good while. Thank you to everybody for your help and suggestions. 73,
and now for some good dx.

-Brian

Humm, I wonder if that's my problem as well.

Old December 16th 04, 07:27 PM
dxAce

Brian wrote:

Well, it's been a long time coming, but the mystery is solved, and can you
believe in the end it was just a TV. I think someone even suggested it may
be a television, and I nearly disregarded the idea for it's simplicity.
Well, it looks like I can finally get back to enjoying my radio as I haven't
in a good while. Thank you to everybody for your help and suggestions. 73,
and now for some good dx.

Ok... so what was the nature of the problem? And what did you do to eliminate
it?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old December 16th 04, 07:34 PM
bpnjensen

A good question, and I would add specifically, could it be solved
simply turning off the TV, did you have to unplug it, or did you use
RFI filters or chokes?

Bruce Jensen

Old December 16th 04, 07:46 PM
Jim Leder

Most newer TVs use switching power supplies and some generate bad RFI when
just plugged in, they don't need to be switched on. Another source is PC CRT
monitors. Same kind of power supply and same kind of RFI. I have a 17 inch
Cybervision on PC #2 in the basement and it generates enough RFI hash to
render much of the AM broadcast band useless when it's plugged in.

nk.net...

Old December 16th 04, 08:21 PM
Brian

"dxAce" wrote in message

Brian wrote:

Well, it's been a long time coming, but the mystery is solved, and can

you
believe in the end it was just a TV. I think someone even suggested it

may
be a television, and I nearly disregarded the idea for it's simplicity.
Well, it looks like I can finally get back to enjoying my radio as I

haven't
in a good while. Thank you to everybody for your help and suggestions.

73,
and now for some good dx.

Ok... so what was the nature of the problem? And what did you do to

eliminate
it?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Well, as to eliminating the problem, I just unplugged the thing. I suppose
I'll just plug it in whenever we want to use it We generally don't watch
much tv and rarely use this particular one anyway. For some reason, it was
causing some buzzing about every 130 or so kHz. I'm not really sure why, but
the tv was kind of an old one, and not a very decent one to start with. This
morning I set the radio on a frequency where the noise was present and
turned the gain up so I could hear the radio as I walked around the house. I
unplugged just about everything in the house, unfortunately I didn't start
with this particular room, and when I pulled the plug on that set the noise
vanished. That's pretty much it.

-Brian

Old December 16th 04, 08:44 PM
MnMikew

"Brian" wrote in message
nk.net...

Did you have to unplug it instead of simply turning it off?

Old December 16th 04, 09:09 PM
Michael Lawson

"Brian" wrote in message
nk.net...

"dxAce" wrote in message

Brian wrote:

[...]

So was it off when it was plugged in?? My problem
only kicks in when the crt gets energized, and chokes
don't help it. (I just wait until the wife goes to bed
to do some serious listening.)

--Mike L.

Old December 16th 04, 09:36 PM
Stephen M.H. Lawrence

"Brian" wrote in message
nk.net...
| Well, it's been a long time coming, but the mystery is solved, and can you
| believe in the end it was just a TV. I think someone even suggested it may
| be a television, and I nearly disregarded the idea for it's simplicity.
| Well, it looks like I can finally get back to enjoying my radio as I
haven't
| in a good while. Thank you to everybody for your help and suggestions. 73,
| and now for some good dx.
|
| -Brian

Our large (ish) screen TV wipes out everything from longwave to about
25.200 MHz. I devised a brilliant workaround by installing a powerstrip
behind the TV, to enjoy blessed silence. Other appliances I've known
and hated (for the RFI they generate): Microwaves (even when not
cooking), VCRs (Horrible hash-generators), thermostats, battery chargers,
and almost every PC printer I've ever owned. I think Part 15 should
be better - enforced.

Congratulations, though, on your new - found freedom from the noise beast!

73,

Steve Lawrence
Burnsville, Minnesota

---

Old December 16th 04, 09:41 PM
Brian

So was it off when it was plugged in?? My problem
only kicks in when the crt gets energized, and chokes
don't help it. (I just wait until the wife goes to bed
to do some serious listening.)

--Mike L.

Yeah, the tv was off, but just being plugged in was causing the noise. I'm
just glad it turned out to be something that I can unplug and not some huge
issue. I do notice now that when my central heat comes on, it makes a bit of
noise around six mhz, probably because my antenna is just in the vicinity of
the unit. Aside from that all is quiet as it should be.

-Brian