Old June 11th 05, 12:06 AM
Steveo

Vinnie S. wrote:
On 10 Jun 2005 22:41:04 GMT, Steveo wrote:

Take Care!
Hydro

Hello Hydro.

Walkie talkies used to be fun!

That is what got me started !!!!!!

Vinnie S.

Same here..an Archer something or other iirc. What a beast it created,
eh?

I think I was in the third grade. A pair of Soundesign Ch 14 kids walkie
talkies, around 1976 or so.

Dang now I really feel old. I was driving by then!

I hit a CB station (I didn't know what CB
was at that time), and when I talked to someone, that was essentially it.
I abused those radios pretty badly. But they had little to no range. It
seemed I talked that one time, and never again hit anyone. But that
didn't keep me from trying 1 million times.

I know what you mean, Vin. I had that old Lafayette tube radio back in
1969, and I had to search to hear anyone, then yell for them 100 times in
hopes of a response. My Mom is a fairly good seamstress so she even made me
a jacket with my CB call on the back of it for the coffee breaks. Thinking
back on it, I was a class A nerd!

Around the 8th grade, I was able to get one of thosetoy base stations,
and talk regularly to someone. But had about 1/4 mile range. I did beg my
father for a CB, but my parents really didn't support my hobbies at all.
I had to wait until I got older before I was able to do the hobbies on my
own. My sophmore year in HS, I finally got my first CB, a TRC-422A. Still
have it. It seemed that my father finally got sick of me talking about
it, and he finally got me one and a power suplly for Christmas. Of
course, I was delivering papers until I ccould afford a Turner +3 and a
Starduster. Did that for a couple years. Once I graduated HS, that was it
until 2 years ago. Then I found you guys. I must admit, I feel like a kid
again.

Vinnie S.

Well it sounds like you are a kid compared to me, Enzo. It's especially
cool that the hobby still provides good friends like you and many others
here.

Rock on.
Old June 11th 05, 12:32 AM
Vinnie S.

On 10 Jun 2005 23:06:45 GMT, Steveo wrote:

Well it sounds like you are a kid compared to me, Enzo. It's especially
cool that the hobby still provides good friends like you and many others
here.

Rock on.

Amen.

I picked up a new Grant LT on ebay. They are the same radio as the XL, but for
some reason, the XL is geeting $250 for new in box. I emailed Uniden and asked
them, and they said it was the same radio, except the LT has backlight and DSC
circuit. Some mine was half the cost of the XL. I unlocked the clarifier and
will stick it in my car. The receive is great. I have to say, these old school
looking meters and chrome are too damn pretty. The backlight looks awesome. My
wife left tonight, so I am alone for the next couple hours. Going to do some
chatting on the radio !

Vinnie S.
Old June 11th 05, 12:44 AM
Steveo

Vinnie S. wrote:
[...]

After you watch the porno videos? (j/k)

You're freaking me out with your CB flashbacks now, Enzo!

At any rate, congrats on the new rig.
Old June 11th 05, 01:36 AM
Vinnie S.

On 10 Jun 2005 23:44:21 GMT, Steveo wrote:

I picked up a new Grant LT on ebay. They are the same radio as the XL,
but for some reason, the XL is geeting $250 for new in box. I emailed
Uniden and asked them, and they said it was the same radio, except the LT
has backlight and DSC circuit. Some mine was half the cost of the XL. I
unlocked the clarifier and will stick it in my car. The receive is great.
I have to say, these old school looking meters and chrome are too damn
pretty. The backlight looks awesome. My wife left tonight, so I am alone
for the next couple hours. Going to do some chatting on the radio !

Vinnie S.

After you watch the porno videos? (j/k)

You're freaking me out with your CB flashbacks now, Enzo!

At any rate, congrats on the new rig.

I am 38 now. The problem is, it took forever to get to 21 years old. It only too
2 weeks to get from 21 to 38 years old.

Vinnie S.
Old June 11th 05, 05:09 AM
Scott in Baltimore

I unlocked the clarifier and will stick it in my car.

I talked some skip last Saturday. I answered someone, then they turned
their clarifier. I lost them in the racket because their frequency changed.

I "found" them a few minutes later when I tuned for someone else.

That's one very good reason to have a locked clarifier.

Old June 11th 05, 05:12 AM
Scott in Baltimore

I am 38 now. The problem is, it took forever to get to 21 years old. It only too
2 weeks to get from 21 to 38 years old.

You just blinked, right?
Old June 11th 05, 05:37 AM
mopathetic didn't camp at Dayton! CHICKEN BOY!

mopathetic watches NAMBLA and LAMBDA videos.It is how he psyches up
each night for those Petro bathrooms.

Old June 11th 05, 05:40 AM
mopathetic didn't camp at Dayton! CHICKEN BOY!

Keyclownism is not a hobby. It is a federally prohibitied exploitation
of spectrum. Keyclowns have no consideration for legal CB'ers. Now,
mopathetic...threaten us again, whydoncha?

Old June 11th 05, 02:09 PM
Vinnie S.

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 00:09:21 -0400, Scott in Baltimore
wrote:

I unlocked the clarifier and will stick it in my car.

I talked some skip last Saturday. I answered someone, then they turned
their clarifier. I lost them in the racket because their frequency changed.

I "found" them a few minutes later when I tuned for someone else.

That's one very good reason to have a locked clarifier.

Every time I had a locked clarifier, I get off frequency comments.

Vinnie S.
Old June 11th 05, 03:11 PM
Guy

HarryHydro wrote:

Hi Folks:
Just remeniscing and old realistic CB walkie talkie I had. It had
the metal ground-straps on the side and it could talk 2.4 miles (just
measured on a map) with an S7. My Wife just picked up two similar
walkie-talkies at a yard sale for $5! I was wide-eyed at the size of
the thing! I remember when I was a kid wanting one of these
walkie-talkies so bad that I got the dimensions and made a cardboard
model to see 'how it felt holding one'! Wow! Thinking back! Anyone
ever routinely talk further on a CB walkie talkie?
The guy I use to talk to frequently in South Toms River was
Electro-Express. I - you guessed it - was Hydro! (hydrofoil) He'd
say, "The only walkie-talkie I know that'll talk that far is Hydro's".
I currently use a Johnson Messenger Viking. Yes, I know it's
2005.. ;-) This radio talks and sounds nice too!

Take Care!
Hydro

I was somewhere between 8 an 10 years old when I got my first pair of CB
walkie-talkies for Christmas or my birthday back in the early 70s. This
was the results of my parents recognizing a talent for electronics in me
back then. By then, I'd put together a myiad of electronic projects like
crystal radios, alarms, mosture detectors, dc motors, light detectors, etc.
These little CB walkie-talkies were in little plastic blue briefcase-style
boxes, less than 1 foot by 1 foot. You'd open them up, extend the
telescopic antenna and turn it on. Ony one channel (14) and 100
milliwatts. They'd only work for about a block. I was hooked then.

My father saw my frustration with them after he'd tell me stories of back
when he was stationed in Morocco working the other side of the world with a
Heathkit DX-40, a Hammurland receiver, and a knife switch to a long-wire
antenna.

After he retired from the Air Force, he commuted to school. We set up a 4
watt mobile into a ground plane strapped to the chimney and put an
identical mobile rig in his Datsun B210 with a base loaded whip. And then
we waited for our CB license to come from the FCC. KCN-6537! Not amazing
I still remember that, we used it. We were scared to death of the law back
then. Back in the mid-70s, when he took off for school, I'd talk to him
until he was out of range. When he came home on Friday's, I'd be at that
radio waiting to hear him and talk him in. Range was about 13 miles. It
was fun! Back in the 70's, the locals in Louisiana made it difficult
because their pleasure was to maliciously interfere with us. Then one day,
he came home and showed me the window had been smashed and his CB was gone.
At 12 years old, I became frustrated with CB. At 13 I became a ham. After
my father saw me get a ham license, he passed his test soon after I did
again, after letting his ham license expire years ago. I started off with
an "N" in my call sign. Still have that call sign, but I made "extra" back
when you had to pass a 20 WPM morse code test.

When I was waiting for my "N" call sign, I put together a 6L6
oscillator/transmitter and borrowed an old tube-type receiver. My first
few contacts in the novice band of 40 were miraculous to me--100s of miles
away!. I was hooked at 13. Soon after, I put together a 6146 transmitter
for a few more watts. Wow, I was fascinated. Sure was fun back then.
Both my mother and father became nervous when they found out about the
exposed plate voltage. I mounted that 6146 on top of the aluminum box so I
could see the filiment glow and the plate connector was bare metal. My
father finally broke down and bought an Yaesu FT-101. Wow! A radio that
put out 180 watts AND a VFO AND all bands AND all MODES! I remember making
sure it wasn't putting out more than 75 watts--that would have been
breaking the rules. It didn't get any better than that. I still have that
radio. Needs new tubes (and of course the modification for the available
replacement tubes).

I still always travel with channel 19 in the truck. It still works better
than a radar detector. Today, I'm frustrated with hams. Back then, my ham
friends were techies. It's hard to find a techie on the ham bands
now-a-days.

Yup, sure was fun back then. It's a new era today.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Guy