Old June 10th 05, 05:11 PM
HarryHydro

Default powerful walkie talkie

Hi Folks:
Just remeniscing and old realistic CB walkie talkie I had. It had
the metal ground-straps on the side and it could talk 2.4 miles (just
measured on a map) with an S7. My Wife just picked up two similar
walkie-talkies at a yard sale for $5! I was wide-eyed at the size of
the thing! I remember when I was a kid wanting one of these
walkie-talkies so bad that I got the dimensions and made a cardboard
model to see 'how it felt holding one'! Wow! Thinking back! Anyone
ever routinely talk further on a CB walkie talkie?
The guy I use to talk to frequently in South Toms River was
Electro-Express. I - you guessed it - was Hydro! (hydrofoil) He'd
say, "The only walkie-talkie I know that'll talk that far is Hydro's".
I currently use a Johnson Messenger Viking. Yes, I know it's
2005.. ;-) This radio talks and sounds nice too!

Take Care!
Hydro

Old June 10th 05, 07:21 PM
Jim Hampton

"HarryHydro" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Hello, Hydro

Careful, or you'll be giving away your age )

Yep, as a kid, I had used some of the very low power stuff a bit. In
college, in 1966, I hadn't taken my ham gear down and my roomate and I
decided to see how far a cb walkie could go.

We had only gotten about a mile down the road when the local cops pulled us
over and told us to get off the radio. It turned out that their had been a
fight at a bar just outside of town the previous night between to rival
gangs, one of which threatened to come back the next day. The cops were
really clamping down on everything.

Never did find out how far the things could reach

Best regards from Rochester, NY
Jim - old as air and twice as polluted )

Old June 10th 05, 08:16 PM
Dave Hall

On 10 Jun 2005 09:11:11 -0700, "HarryHydro"
wrote:

Hi Folks:
Just remeniscing and old realistic CB walkie talkie I had. It had
the metal ground-straps on the side and it could talk 2.4 miles (just
measured on a map) with an S7. My Wife just picked up two similar
walkie-talkies at a yard sale for $5! I was wide-eyed at the size of
the thing! I remember when I was a kid wanting one of these
walkie-talkies so bad that I got the dimensions and made a cardboard
model to see 'how it felt holding one'! Wow! Thinking back! Anyone
ever routinely talk further on a CB walkie talkie?
The guy I use to talk to frequently in South Toms River was
Electro-Express. I - you guessed it - was Hydro! (hydrofoil) He'd
say, "The only walkie-talkie I know that'll talk that far is Hydro's".
I currently use a Johnson Messenger Viking. Yes, I know it's
2005.. ;-) This radio talks and sounds nice too!

Higher power walkie-talkies back in the 70's routinely could talk 5
miles or so. I had a 1 watt Midland with a 5 foot telescopic antenna
that I could get 4 or 5 miles out of. Alot of it depends on terrain.
If you are on a high hill, you can talk a lot further than if you're
in a valley. Also close proximity to water, as you have, and flat land
will allow your signal to travel farther.

Don't apologize for the vintage gear. Radio was more fun when that
stuff was the state of the art.....

Dave
"Sandbagger"
http://home.ptd.net/~n3cvj
Old June 10th 05, 09:04 PM
Jay in the Mojave

Hello Harry Hydro:

Great story there.

I use to have a pair of Lloyds 100 walkie takies, with a massive 100 mw
(.1 watts or 100 Milli watts) of power from a 9 volt transistor radio
battery.

I use to live in Lake View Terrace, near the San Ferenando Valley.
Behind out house was some hills with about a 1000 foot above the valley
floor. Well with the Lloyds 100 walkie talkies us kids climbed the hills
and where able to talk all over the place on a Saturday. We where able
to talk to boats and people on a picnic near Hanson Dam and Lake. Yeah
we was somebody all right, being able to talk all that way.

Then we hit the big times when dear ol Dad traded his Bowling Ball for a
Gonset G12 CB Radio with a massive 5 watts of input power, and a 102
inch whip antenna on the roof, gee whiz we talked all over the place. We
even talked to the Sunland Tujunga area, almost 3 miles away I think.

The power supply was Dads truck 12 volt battery out of his 1964 Custom
Cab Ford F100 Truck, with red bucket seats, simply custom back in 1966.
The battery eat up the carpet too much after leaving the charger on all
night long, but I don't think Dad knew about the carpet, or didn't yell
at us for it.

Dad was able to talk to Rebel in down town San Fernando, on channel 5,
who talked skip all the time, to back east. This must have been 1966 or 67.

Dads friends Ray (Buckshot)and Jim (Jimmey Cat) use to go deer hunting
in the hills and mountains behide us at times and they could even talk
ship on the top of the mountains with there 5 watt walkie talkies. Many
of he locals would go nutzoid when they could hear Jimmy Cat say to
Buckshot "No Ray that one is too small wait for the bigger one comes
around the hill, ect......" They wouldn't respond to any of the local
stations, as they where deer hunting, or so goes the story. But thats
another story..........

Jay in the Mojave

Old June 10th 05, 10:04 PM
Steveo

"HarryHydro" wrote:
[...]

Walkie talkies used to be fun!

Old June 10th 05, 11:37 PM
Vinnie S.

On 10 Jun 2005 21:04:48 GMT, Steveo wrote:

"HarryHydro" wrote:
[...]

That is what got me started !!!!!!

Vinnie S.
Old June 10th 05, 11:41 PM
Steveo

"HarryHydro" wrote:
[...]

Same here..an Archer something or other iirc. What a beast it created, eh?
Old June 10th 05, 11:43 PM
Jim Hampton

"HarryHydro" wrote:
[...]

Hello, Vinnie

Too bad we can't all just have fun instead of arguing LOL. Those were the
days, I agree.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim

Old June 10th 05, 11:52 PM
Vinnie S.

On 10 Jun 2005 22:41:04 GMT, Steveo wrote:

Take Care!
Hydro

Hello Hydro.

Walkie talkies used to be fun!

That is what got me started !!!!!!

Vinnie S.

Same here..an Archer something or other iirc. What a beast it created, eh?

I think I was in the third grade. A pair of Soundesign Ch 14 kids walkie
talkies, around 1976 or so. I hit a CB station (I didn't know what CB was at
that time), and when I talked to someone, that was essentially it. I abused
those radios pretty badly. But they had little to no range. It seemed I talked
that one time, and never again hit anyone. But that didn't keep me from trying 1
million times.

Around the 8th grade, I was able to get one of thosetoy base stations, and talk
regularly to someone. But had about 1/4 mile range. I did beg my father for a
CB, but my parents really didn't support my hobbies at all. I had to wait until
I got older before I was able to do the hobbies on my own. My sophmore year in
HS, I finally got my first CB, a TRC-422A. Still have it. It seemed that my
father finally got sick of me talking about it, and he finally got me one and a
power suplly for Christmas. Of course, I was delivering papers until I ccould
afford a Turner +3 and a Starduster. Did that for a couple years. Once I
graduated HS, that was it until 2 years ago. Then I found you guys. I must
admit, I feel like a kid again.

Vinnie S.
Old June 10th 05, 11:53 PM
Vinnie S.

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 22:43:51 GMT, "Jim Hampton" wrote:

Take Care!
Hydro

Hello Hydro.

Walkie talkies used to be fun!

That is what got me started !!!!!!

Vinnie S.

Hello, Vinnie

Too bad we can't all just have fun instead of arguing LOL. Those were the
days, I agree.

I do that now right here. I KF most of the assholes, and hardly ever see then
except when they get piggybacked. This place is so much better now !

Vinnie S.