Old June 12th 05, 10:10 PM
Guy

Vinnie S. wrote:

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 20:54:39 -0500, Guy wrote:

Code is a complete waste. I studied for a month, passed the test, and
already have forgotten the letters. What they should do if make it
optional for code users. Give a real test, and give out licenses for
code users. IOW, those who want to use it, test for it.

Vinnie S.

Why should people who *want* to use it have to test for it?

Because it's the opposite right now. People who don't use it, test for it.
Might as well right that ship.

Vinnie S.

Why not just do away with the morse code test? WRC-03 did away with the
international requirement.

As a matter of fact, can you think of a reason to have *any* testing
requirements to operate in the ham bands these days?

You say code is a complete waste. I could say the same about memorizing
things like the frequencies of a particular ham band, or answering "yes" to
radio waves travelling at the speed of light in a vacuum, or which
ionospheric region is closest to earth, or the meaning of the term "73", or
the meaning of the Q-Signal "QRS", or how much voltage is there from an
automobile battery, or the difference between microfarad and picofarad, or
how to figure out a 1/4 wavelength, or ... I just finished looking through
the element 2 question pool and I can't think of a reason why people are
tested on this stuff anymore.

Can't buy any ham gear today that operates outside the ham bands. Why not
just make it illegal to modify store-bought ham gear and then just call it
the Citizen's Bands (bandS -- plural).

A few decades ago, you had to have a little bit of knowledge to
build/operate home brew equipment, and a little less knowledge to operate
store-bought gear and keep it inside the ham bands and prevent
unintentional interference. Now-a-days, it's not economically feasible to
home-brew your own ham gear anymore. It's cheaper to buy it from a store.
And the stuff you buy from the store today almost can't be made to operate
outside the ham bands or un-intentionally interfere with others unless you
pop the lid and screw it up with silly modifications.

Element 4 has questions like, "What's the audio frequency of the color Black
in amateur SSTV?" Who cares? Why would knowing this make you more
qualified to download MMSSTV, hook up your computer sound card to your
radio (using a store bought interface) and start exchanging pictures?

If CW has been superceded by technology, couldn't you say the same thing
about all of amateur radio?

Heck, I just saw an advertisement for a cell phone that accepts broadband TV
now.

I don't mean to sound combative to you or anyone else, I just woke up a few
days ago and started having some epiphanies on this subject.

Guy

Old June 12th 05, 11:44 PM
Landshark

"Vinnie S." wrote in message

Old June 12th 05, 11:44 PM
Landshark

"Steveo" wrote in message
Vinnie S. wrote:
On 10 Jun 2005 22:41:04 GMT, Steveo wrote:

Take Care!
Hydro

Hello Hydro.

Walkie talkies used to be fun!

That is what got me started !!!!!!

Vinnie S.

Same here..an Archer something or other iirc. What a beast it created,
eh?

I think I was in the third grade. A pair of Soundesign Ch 14 kids walkie
talkies, around 1976 or so.

Dang now I really feel old. I was driving by then!

I hit a CB station (I didn't know what CB
was at that time), and when I talked to someone, that was essentially

it.
I abused those radios pretty badly. But they had little to no range. It
seemed I talked that one time, and never again hit anyone. But that
didn't keep me from trying 1 million times.

I know what you mean, Vin. I had that old Lafayette tube radio back in
1969, and I had to search to hear anyone, then yell for them 100 times in
hopes of a response. My Mom is a fairly good seamstress so she even made

me
a jacket with my CB call on the back of it for the coffee breaks. Thinking
back on it, I was a class A nerd!

[...]

Well it sounds like you are a kid compared to me, Enzo. It's especially
cool that the hobby still provides good friends like you and many others
here.

Rock on.

Oh he's young compared to you and I Steveo, but he does have common
sense that some that are older here don't have. Must have something to do
with
up bringing.

Landshark

Old June 12th 05, 11:44 PM
Landshark

"Scott in Baltimore" wrote in message
I unlocked the clarifier and will stick it in my car.

I talked some skip last Saturday. I answered someone, then they turned
their clarifier. I lost them in the racket because their frequency

changed.

I "found" them a few minutes later when I tuned for someone else.

That's one very good reason to have a locked clarifier.

I was up at Lake Tahoe this weekend, took a trip over to Reno see a
friend. Talked
a bunch of am skip to Vancouver BC from the top of Mt. Rose.

Landshark

Old June 12th 05, 11:44 PM
Landshark

"Vinnie S." wrote in message
On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 11:39:51 -0400, Scott in Baltimore

BTW, my 2510 is not unlocked. I left that alone because I can get so close

with
the RIT.

Vinnie S.

Amen, I never unlocked any of mine. My 2510 is just about the best rig I've
got,
and believe me I've got a lot of radio's.

Landshark

Old June 12th 05, 11:45 PM
Landshark

"Guy" wrote in message
wrote:

Why should people who *want* to use it have to test for it?

Why not? If you want to drive, you have to take a test, if you want to
get into college you have to take a test, so what's wrong with if you are
going to use code only about taking a test?

Landshark

Old June 13th 05, 12:56 AM
Guy

wrote:

Why should people who *want* to use it have to test for it?

Why not? If you want to drive, you have to take a test, if you want to
get into college you have to take a test, so what's wrong with if you are
going to use code only about taking a test?

Landshark

I don't understand the logic in what you're saying.

Are there other tests that we should introduce into society?

Should we implement taking a test before you are deemed qualified to open a
credit card account?

Should we implement taking a test before you are deemed qualified to take
the mail out of your mailbox and bring it into your house for further
sorting, opening, and reading?

Should we implement taking a test before you are deemed qualified to operate
a gas pump to fill your car with gasoline?

Should we implement taking a test before you are deemed qualified to
reproduce?

Ok, I'm stating some crazy things here to try to make a point...

How about just leaving some space in the ham bands for CW? If it gets used,
fine, keep it. If CW dies out (and it will eventually--us old timers who
got their ham ticket the hard way will eventually RIP) then reallocate it
for other modes.

By the way, I don't remember having to take a test to get into college. I
have a BS in Computer Science and a Masters in Computer Information
Systems. As long as I paid my bill, they allowed me to go to class.

And the reason for the test to drive a car is to show something in the way
of being able to drive a car and not kill someone else while doing it. I
can understand the reason for the test to drive a car. I can explain valid
reasons for some of my crazy examples above also.

So why test for CW? It's not like anyone who attempts to operate CW without
knowing all the letters at an arbitrary speed will endanger anyone or
themselves while doing it.

Why have a test to operate any mode in any ham band these days?

Guy
Old June 13th 05, 02:41 AM
Vinnie S.

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 16:10:06 -0500, Guy wrote:

..
Because it's the opposite right now. People who don't use it, test for it.
Might as well right that ship.

Vinnie S.

Why not just do away with the morse code test? WRC-03 did away with the
international requirement.

You'd have to ask a morse guy. I don't know.

As a matter of fact, can you think of a reason to have *any* testing
requirements to operate in the ham bands these days?

Yeah, regulation. Clearly, there is working regulation on ham bands. And there
is no regulation on CB band, unless you are running 10,000 watts.

So, you already have both. If you don't want to test for anything, there is CB.

You say code is a complete waste. I could say the same about memorizing
things like the frequencies of a particular ham band, or answering "yes" to
radio waves travelling at the speed of light in a vacuum, or which
ionospheric region is closest to earth, or the meaning of the term "73", or
the meaning of the Q-Signal "QRS", or how much voltage is there from an
automobile battery, or the difference between microfarad and picofarad, or
how to figure out a 1/4 wavelength, or ... I just finished looking through
the element 2 question pool and I can't think of a reason why people are
tested on this stuff anymore.

Well, they ask you 35 questions. I read the queston pool book 3 times. There had
to be hundreds of questions. So to answer your question, ye, I think they should
keep the test. Clearly, I learned from it.

[...]

You don't sound combative. You have a different opinion. You make some valid
points. But as I said before, there is a licensed and unlicensed option. Now,
what you might be asking it to expand the CB band to have more unlicensed
frequencies. I would not have a problem with that.

I did actually enjoy reading those books. So whether the questions are dumb or
not, I did learn a few things.

Vinnie S.
Old June 13th 05, 11:51 AM
Steveo

Jay in the Mojave wrote:
What was great about the foundry was, someone always managed to but a
bullet in the pile of aluminum chair tubing, that was gonna be melted
down. High School humor at its greatest. That was defiantly a tear and
snott blowing stunt.

I wake up in my sleep laughing about that!

Jay in the Mojave

Dang Jay, a bullet? That sounds slightly dangerous.

Old June 13th 05, 11:52 AM
Steveo

"Landshark" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
[...]