Old June 29th 05, 03:05 AM
jim

james wrote:

On 27 Jun 2005 16:46:22 -0700, "mopathetic didn't camp at Dayton!
CHICKEN BOY!" wrote:

and illegal

****

correct

james

who cares?
Old June 29th 05, 01:12 PM
JohnM

John Smith wrote:
JohnM:

Yes, any of the older radios like that work excellently with a VFO and
cover the freebands at the top end of HF quite nicely...

... a few parts and a general pcb board from radio shack and a guy can
slap together a VFO quite cheaply...

Maybe a guy who knows what he's doing can;-) Might be worth looking
into, eventually.

Serious, the last time I bought a handful of components from RS the girl
asked if I was making a bomb- and when I said well, yes, it was a timer
I was working on, she got strange.. telling her it was a postflow timer
for a plasma cutter I was working on didn't change her attitude any
either. It was a little strange..

Again, thanks to all with advice in this thread- I'm learning, a little
at a time.

John
Old June 29th 05, 05:36 PM
james

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 22:05:21 -0400, jim
wrote:

james wrote:

On 27 Jun 2005 16:46:22 -0700, "mopathetic didn't camp at Dayton!
CHICKEN BOY!" wrote:

and illegal

****

correct

james

who cares?

*****

Some do and some don't.

The choice is yours. Choose wisely.

james
Old June 30th 05, 12:32 AM
Cliff

JohnM wrote:
Hi, I'm new here so don't flame me too bad..

I was looking at sideband radios on ebay and, in addition to SSB radios,
I see SBE. So, now I'm curious as to what the difference is..

Many thanks,

Johnget in touch with me at about the SBE Console II and Siltronix VFO's. I have some data that might help you make up your mind. The SBE is a definite 4 watt********* with 100% clear modulation on ithem. I have two of them. ONly have one set up with a VFO but I don't usually work the funny channels because there is enough on sideband 1-40 to take care of me. I know that the breaking of the law is there but I figure as long as I am not running a linear and relying on a danged good homemade antenna, coax the correct length, the feed to the antenna correct, SWR'rs down at almost 1:1.1 on all channels I can do bunches of stuff with a 2 element quad horizontal fed. ANTENNA, ANTENNA, ANTENNA, ANTENNA, ANTENNA, IS THE KEY TO THE OPERATION then modulation then watts out. A good ceramic mic will, when matched to the CB/ham transceiver will do as much as those D104's with the 9volt battery in them. Forget the echo, now the roger beep is ok on ssb because if a person has his mic keyed but not tlaking therewill not be a signal coming in. ONly when modulation does the S-meter on your radio work. Even the wattmeter in the CBer who is running SB will show nil when the key is keyed down. Voice activation is the deal. CAn't explain it correctly but this is pretty close to what it is all about. Get in touch with me though....

73
Blue Dawg
Cliff
Goat
the RinkyDink Cherry

Old June 30th 05, 01:13 AM
jim

wrote:

james wrote:

On 27 Jun 2005 16:46:22 -0700, "mopathetic didn't camp at Dayton!
CHICKEN BOY!" wrote:

and illegal

****

correct

james

who cares?

*****

Some do and some don't.

The choice is yours. Choose wisely.

james

chose many years ago and have no worries about what the fcc considers
illegal. as long as the repeater jammers and cb kilowatt boys draw
attention to themselves then my little station will fly under the radar.

Old June 30th 05, 06:08 AM
JohnM

Steveo wrote:
you should be able to find plans/circuits/schematics for a ham vfo
able to cover the cb freqs, below and above

you can probably purchase one cheaply off ebay

any ten meter vfo should be easy to modify to cover cb freqs-remove a
turn or two off the osc coil or add a bit more capacitance across the
coil

Cool, I'll check into it.

Thanks again,

John
Old July 1st 05, 12:04 AM
JohnM

JohnM wrote:
Steveo wrote:

you should be able to find plans/circuits/schematics for a ham vfo
able to cover the cb freqs, below and above

you can probably purchase one cheaply off ebay

any ten meter vfo should be easy to modify to cover cb freqs-remove a
turn or two off the osc coil or add a bit more capacitance across the
coil

Cool, I'll check into it.

Thanks again,

No, wait.. someone said that's illegal so I guess I won't bother with
it. Got enough problems, I don't need to be loading more on for no good
reason, eh?

John