Old July 25th 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Default Installing a 102" in the roof?

I was might tempted by the 102" whip, or some other equally long
antenna, as it's definetly the king of obnoxious, however, I had some
concerns with installing this into a pickup. How the heck do you
install a roof mount that's strong enough to not rip out the sheet
metal in your roof?!. Heck if I push my hand on my roof, it dents in
(not permanently), and there's a second piece of sheet metal about 1/2
inch or so below that one. I'd like to install a roof mount, but it
just doesn't seem like there'd be anything you could do to make this
really strong. Those ball mounts looked the most promising, but even
those have reports of leaking and rusting through.... Has anyone here
actually mounted an antenna on the roof, what were your results? Was
your sheet metal thin?

Old July 25th 06, 04:51 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

"SparkySKO" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was might tempted by the 102" whip, or some other equally long
antenna, as it's definetly the king of obnoxious, however, I had some
concerns with installing this into a pickup. How the heck do you
install a roof mount that's strong enough to not rip out the sheet
metal in your roof?!. Heck if I push my hand on my roof, it dents in
(not permanently), and there's a second piece of sheet metal about 1/2
inch or so below that one. I'd like to install a roof mount, but it
just doesn't seem like there'd be anything you could do to make this
really strong. Those ball mounts looked the most promising, but even
those have reports of leaking and rusting through.... Has anyone here
actually mounted an antenna on the roof, what were your results? Was
your sheet metal thin?

You don't put it in the roof. Get a bumper mount or if you have a toolbox
you can mount it there with half a mirror mount. If you must put it in the
roof, you will need large flat washers.

Old July 25th 06, 08:36 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 20:40:59 -0700, Frank Gilliland
wrote in
:

snip
I took a pic if you want to see.

http://www.icehouse.net/wirenut/roof_mt.jpg

The green cord was used to pull the coax and dome light wires through
the channel. I installed the coax mount first for testing, and that's
why the coax is coming out of the dome light hole. After testing I
replaced it with a flush mount that allowed the dome light to be
reinstalled.

As an afterthought, I should have used teflon coax (considering the
poor condition of the dome light wires after years of summer heat),
but it's an old truck and standard coax will probably outlive the
truck.

Old July 25th 06, 03:20 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

You might want to evaluate one of the multiple magnet arrays like this
http://www.hamstick.com/376.htm

That's an insane magnet. Too bad I get so much crappy vehicle noise
from running mag mounts or I'd be there.

I guess bumper mount it is.

Fiberglass roof on FJ-40 Harbin Antenna 5 February 22nd 06 11:25 PM
roof or ground 'height'? ml Antenna 5 June 21st 05 02:19 AM
roof joy-dipole help -RFI(req for info) ml Antenna 2 January 27th 05 02:41 AM
Antenna mounting recommendations for flat roof academic building Bill Blum Antenna 6 June 6th 04 12:05 PM
Using a metal roof as a ground plane Rick Frazier Antenna 7 April 19th 04 08:24 PM