Old December 12th 03, 09:44 PM
Gene Storey

Sounds like cheating.

"Keyboard In The Wilderness" wrote
DX spotting networks are via packet radio or over the internet with telnet.
Hams around the world report other DX stations freq, mode, etc. Used to spot
rare DX or during contests

See URL for a sample:
http://oh2aq.kolumbus.com/dxs/oldlook.html?

Some discussions at URL:
http://outadaloop.com/LIVE10.htm

--
73 From The Wilderness Keyboard
==========================
"Gene Storey" wrote in message
"Hank Oredson" wrote

What's a DX spotting network? I don't do contests, so
I'm kind of ignorant about being a paper hanger.

Old December 13th 03, 12:43 AM
charlesb

"Moron Gene Storey" wrote in message
"Dr. A.T. Squeegee" wrote

In short: IRLP has its uses, but it will never replace true radio
work.

IRLP is radio hooked to a network. It's the future of public service
and emergency communications. There is no radio manufacturer in
the commercial world who doesn't believe in network radio linking.
Hams should get onboard rather than fight it. This is the 21st Century.

Yeah, riiiight. They really proved EchoLink and IRLP's worth during the
northeast blackout a month or so back. First, the non-ham stuff became
grossly overcongested because they had idiots trying to "help" from all over
the planet at once. Then, they both simply shut down as Internet access went
away. - Leaving hams using ham radio to handle the emergency when the
non-ham stuff went belly-up, as usual.

The loss of Internet access would have shut them down, but it was too
late... They had already shut themselves down through overcongestion before
it had a chance to.

"Future of public service and emergency communications"... Haw hawr! Good
one, Gene!

Charles Brabham, N5PVL
Director: USPacket.Net
http://www.uspacket.net

Old December 13th 03, 04:32 AM
Gene Storey

"charlesb" wrote

That's right Gene... When the facts do not support your pet position or
protocol, you can always go for the mindless personal attacks.

Unlike yourself, of course.

I predict that in 2004, a manufacturer will produce a ham radio that has
a built-in network Wi-Fi and that's how you will control the radio, and
pass audio to it. It will either be a proprietary application, or you will
use a Netmeeting type of vocoder software.

Old December 13th 03, 02:12 PM
Traveler

As in most new developments there are some who cling to the old true and
tried way...you know the biggest obstacle to progress is resistance to
change. It's not just in basic things but it's true in science as well as
just trying to get an employee to do a task in a production area different
than the way he has been doing it for years.

Now, you argue that using echolink is not using HAM radio...I beg to differ.
Just this morning while sitting at my computer I had a little rag chew with
one gentlemen in Tucson who was walking around with his HT...was he using
HAM radio....was I using HAM radio....was it pure HAM radio....the answer to
the first two questions is yes and the answer to the last is NO. It was a
marriage of HAM radio with the net. My opinion is that we will see much more
progress in this area.
I guess another question to you is when I use one of those silver box sets
from Kenwood, which has the circuits of the transceiver built into the
silver box but no external controls....I have to use the computer to control
the silver box...is that HAM radio?

73
Ray Herron
WA0LQT
"Dr. A.T. Squeegee" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

Charles,

I see that you don't much care for progress....or are you just always
ornery...bet those who used smoke signals felt the same way when more

modern
forms of communication came along.

snippety

As ornery as Charles' reply was (yes, it could have been phrased
much better) he does have one valid point: 'Internet' and 'Ham Radio'
are two entirely different mediums. Always have been, always will be.

IRLP, as I see it, is just a way to get repeater linking done
independent of the restrictions of site-based link transceivers. After
all, the 'L' in IRLP does stand for 'Linking.'

In short: IRLP has its uses, but it will never replace true radio
work.

--
Dr. Anton Squeegee, Director, Dutch Surrealist Plumbing Institute
(Known to some as Bruce Lane, KC7GR)