Old November 24th 04, 03:16 AM
Jeffrey Herman

William wrote:

Or KH6. I recall a ham on Hawaii who loaned out his PO Box to Mike
Deignan. Same ham had a Guam call, never lived on Guam. Said he had
a job offer there that never panned out, and got the call in "prep"
for moving there.

Geez, I wonder who that was?

Jeff KH6O (ex KH2PZ)

P.S. KH0-KH9 are all in the same call area: 13.

--
Chief Petty Officer, U.S. Coast Guard
Mathematics Lecturer, University of Hawaii System

Old November 25th 04, 10:31 AM

On 24 Nov 2004 01:31:47 GMT, Alun wrote:

Quite true, but if you live in Germany and nip down to your local USAF
facility for a VE sesion you can get a US licence, all legal and above
board.

There's an obvious solution. If someone takes a VE test overseas and has no
US address, they ought to be given a sequentially issued call in one of the
less populous FCC districts, say the 1st district.

Or they should be told to buzz off. Why should any U.S. license be
issued to someone in a foreign country that has no intention of using
it in the U.S. ?

And with the CEPT stuff, there's even more reason not to issue U.S.
licenses in many countries.

73, Jim KH2D

Old November 25th 04, 11:04 AM

On 24 Nov 2004 03:17:41 -0800, (Steve Robeson, K4CAP)
wrote:

If you do, why have you not provided this information to the
appropriate authorities?

We preached to the choir for a lot of years from Guam. Nobody
listened, because nobody cared. There were numerous complaints made to

the ARRL and Washington, D.C. about testing discrepancies, P.O. boxes,
mail drops in California, licenses arriving unexpectedly.

When the hams in Saipan reported to the ARRL VE (a number of times)
that 3 CB'ers with extra class KH0 calls were making sure that all the
other CB'ers got an extra class call too, nothing happened.

If you lived in New Jersey and there were VE tests given at your local
ham club once a month, would you fly to Saipan (or Manila) to take a
test? Smell the rat yet?

But then again, you can't expect the ARRL VE manager to fly to Saipan
because the DXCC desk used up all the airplane ticket money flying to
the Tokyo hamfest to check post cards.

It still comes down to "it's allowed by OUR law"...at least at
present...

Just because the rules are the rules doesn't mean the rules make any
sense. There's a fine line between abusing a law and breaking it
maybe. People are abusing the hell out of the U.S. licensing system
because it's very easy to abuse. It needs to be fixed. But the people
who could fix it don't seem to care that it's broken.

I don't think we should start putting JA's in radio prison for
grabbing U.S. calls, but I think it's way past time where we should
have smartened up and fixed a very poorly implemented licensing
system.

VE testing wasn't a great idea. Allowing VE testing anywhere by
anybody is way past rediculous.

73, Jim KH2D