Old November 16th 16, 04:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default VP8DPK/p/qrp South Georgia Island & W7AUM/p Antarc;ica

News fromÿOPDX - Ohio/Penn DX Special Bulletin:

"Chuck, W7AUM, is currently on an expeditionÿcruise on the "National Geographic Explorer" from November 9-29th. Heÿsent the following to OPDX on November 15th:

"Last night on the grayÿline I made my first two contacts from the ship as for the first timeÿ20m and 15mÿ opened up a little.

ÿ Today (Tuesday) in the morning, I set up the KX3 on the Salisbury Plainÿon the north coast of South Georgia. I could hear Cypress Island and someÿEuropean stations but even with continuous CQ I couldn't get a come-back.

ÿ Our second landing was on Prion Island where we only allowed one hourÿon shore and had to stay on a raised path. The beach was filled withÿaggressive fir seals so no time or place to set up there.

ÿ If conditions allow I will try again at our next stop at 14.285 SSBÿwith VP8PDK/P/QRP. I don't know where we will be tomorrow but if I canÿoperate it will be between 1200ÿ and 1800 UTC. South Georgia is 6 hoursÿahead of Seattle and 2 hours behind UTC. If I am lucky enough to makeÿsome contacts I'll ask them to spot me. There is very slow email and

internet on the ship and of course note at any of the islands we areÿvisiting so it is hard to precisely say when I will be on the air."

ÿ Remember, Chuck will only operate from South Georgia Island betweenÿNovember 15-19th. Also, look for him to operate from the Antarcticaÿas W7AUM/P between November 22-26th. Suggested QRP frequencies when onÿland a 7285, 14285, 21285, 28385 or 28885 kHz. He states,

"I will tryÿthese same frequencies when I am operating Maritime Mobile on the National

Geographic Explorer.

Chuck told OPDX [edited], "The rig I am using isÿVP8LP';s Yaesu while in Stanley, Falklands. Otherwise I am using an Elecraft

KX3. The Power: high power from Stanley, 100 watts from the ship; 10-15ÿwatts when portable. Antennas: 3 element SteppIR from VP8LP';s QTH; dipoleÿfrom the ship, wire antenna on a 30′ pole with counterpoise when portable.

Modes: Phone."

No Web page, no ClubLog and no LoTW.

QSL via his homeÿcallsign."

http://www.dxcoffee.com/eng/2016/vp8...mp-antarctica/