Old November 15th 19, 03:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default [VK5PAS] Ni Ni Flora and Fauna Reserve VKFF-2413

vk5pas

Ni Ni Flora and Fauna Reserve VKFF-2413

https://vk5pas.org/2019/11/14/ni-ni-...rve-vkff-2413/

Our final park for our three-day trip away was the Ni Ni Flora & Fauna
Reserve VKFF-2413.Â* This was to be another first-time activation for the
World Wide Flora & Fauna (WWFF) program.

The park is located about 382 km north-west of the city of Melbourne, and
about 10 km south-west of the town of Jeparit.
Above:- Map showing the location of the Ni Ni Flora and Fauna Reserve.Â* Map
courtesy of Protected Planet.

After leaving the Hindmarsh Flora and Fauna Reserve we drove south on the
DImboola-Rainbow Road and soon reached the little town of Jeparit.Â* It is
believed that Jeparit is a corruption of a local Aboriginal word (a
Gromiluk word) meaning the home of small birds.Â* The town is famous due to
it being the birthplace of the founder of the Liberal Party, and former
Australian Prime Minister Robert Gordon Menzies.Â* There is quite a bit to
see in the town and sadly we had very little time.Â* It will be another
return trip to have a much better look around.

We continued south out of Jeparit in the Dimboola-Rainbow Road and then
turned right onto Flavel Road.Â* We soon reached the Ni Ni Flora & Fauna
Reserve.Â* The park is also referred to on maps as the Ni Ni Nature
Conservation Reserve.Â* Interestingly Protected Planet also has it as the
Babatchio Bushland Reserve.
Above:- An aerial view of the Ni Ni Flora and Fauna Reserve with Lake
Hindmarsh in the background.Â* Image courtesy of Google maps

The park is about 10 acres in size and was established in 1990.Â* It is
surrounded by cleared farming land and is located on the southwestern
corner of Flavel Road and Pumpa Road.

A short distance from the park you can view the cairn marking the location
of the Allanby State School (Hindmarsh South) which operated from 1889-1926.

We parked the car on Flavel Road and climbed the fence and set up in the
north-eastern corner of the park.
Above:- An aerial view of the Ni Ni Flora & Fauna Reserve showing our
operating spot.Â* Image courtesy of Protected Planet.

I called CQ on 7.140 and first in the log was park regular (both activator
and hunter) Rob VK2VH, followed by two other regulars, Grant VK2LX, and
Adrian VK5FANA.Â* Within five minutes I had ten contacts in the log and the
park qualified for VKFF.Â* QSO number ten was with Steve VK3MPR.

Two contacts later I was very surprised to be called by Theo OT4A in
Belgium, in amongst the VK stations that were calling.Â* Theo was 5/8 and
gave me a 5/5 signal report into Europe.

I logged a total of 26 stations on 40m before swapping the mic with Marija.

Marijas first contact was with Rob VK2VH, followed by Geoff VK3SQ, and then
Adrian VK5FANA.Â* It took Marija just 5 minutes to qualify the park for
VKFF.Â* Her tenth contact was with Scott VK3MCL/p.

Although we were pushed very much for time, Marija encouraged me to get
back on the mic to see if I could get my 44 contacts.Â* I logged a further 6
stations on 40m from VK3, VK5, and New Zealand, before callers completely
dried up.Â* I now had 32 contacts in the log and was 12 short of the target.

I moved to 20m where I picked up a further 14 stations which got me to 43
contacts, just one short of the 44 QSO threshold.Â* Contacts on 20m were
into VK4, VK6, and France.

I headed off the 80m band where I logged 3 stations from VK4 and VK5.Â*
Contact number 44 was with Adrian VK5FANA.

It was now about 6.00 p.m. local time and we still had about 3 & 1/2 hours
to get home.Â* We packed up and hit the road, stopping at Nhill in western
Victoria for a bite to eat.

On the way home I joined the 7130 DX Net from the mobile and logged 10
stations.Â* This included Gary ZL3SV in New Zealand who gave me a 10/9
signal.Â* The highlight of the net was working David HC5DX in Ecuador in
South America.Â* Even Dave was surprised that I was mobile.Â* The Codan 9350
works very well.

THANKYOU to everyone who called us on our 3 day trip to Victoria.Â* We
activated eleven parks, with many of those being first-time activations.Â*
We made a total of 635 QSOs which included 78 Park to Park contacts.