Old December 11th 19, 02:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.dx,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default [VK5PAS] Gerang Gerung South Flora and Fauna Reserve VKFF-2320

vk5pas

Gerang Gerung South Flora and Fauna Reserve VKFF-2320

https://vk5pas.org/2019/12/10/gerang...rve-vkff-2320/

It was now Monday (2nd December 2019) and time for us to head home.Â* We had
planned to activate about four parks on the way home to the Adelaide Hills,
all dependent upon time.

To start the day we again headed to the Dimboola cafe and enjoyed breakfast
consisting of bacon & eggs and some nice hot coffee.

Our first park activation of the day was the Gerang Gerung Flora & Fauna
Reserve VKFF-2320, which is located about 353 km northwest of Melbourne,
and about 17 km west of the town of Dimboola.

This was to be another first-time park activation for the World Wide Flora
Fauna (WWFF) program.
Above:- Map showing the location of the Gerang Gerung South Flora & Fauna
Reserve in western Victoria.Â* Map courtesy of Protected Planet.

Our first stop for the day was Loch lel (Pink Lake) which is located on the
Western Highway between Dimboola and Gerang Gerung.Â* The small circular,
salt lake received its name from its distinctive pink colour, with the
brightness of the hue varying according to the level of rainfall.

We continued west along the Western Highway and soon reached the little
town of Gerang Gerung.Â* The name Gerang Gerung is believed to be derived
from an Aboriginal word meaning leaf or branch.Â* European settlement of the
area commenced as early as 1846.Â* Farms were first taken up in the area in
the 1870s.Â* A water storage reserve was established in 1881 and this was
followed soon after by the opening of the Junction Hotel.Â* A school was
then built and in 1887 when the railway line was established, the town of
Gerang Gerung was surveyed.

Pastoral occupation began in 1846 and closer-settlement farms were first
taken up in 1874. In 1881 a water-storage reserve was established, and soon
afterwards the nearby Junction Hotel was opened. Three years later a school
was built and, in 1887 when the railway line was put through, the village
of Gerang Gerung was surveyed.Â* This coincided with the opening of a
General Store, a Bible Christian church, public hall, blacksmith and a
saleyards.

The Australian Handbook of 1903 described Gerang Gerung as follows..

Today not much remains of Gerang Gerung.Â* The hotel closed in 1958, while
the store and post office closed in 1985 and 1988 respectively.Â* The school
closed in 1993.

On the corner of the Western Highway and Clark Road we saw a sign for
Junction Dam Flora Reserve.Â* It appears that this is the old name of the
park and the sign has never been updated.

Gerang Gerung (South) Flora & Fauna Reserve is also shown as a Nature
Conservation Reserve on some maps.Â* It is located on the southern side of
the Western Highway, while the Gerang Gerung (North) Flora & Fauna Reserve
is located on the northern side of the highway.
Above:- An aerial view of Gerang Gerung South Flora & Fauna Reserve,
looking west.Â* Image courtesy of Google maps.

The park is about 138 acres in size and conserves remnant scrub, including
the endangered Hairy-pod Wattle.

The park was alive with the little birds below.Â* They are White-browned
Woodswallows.

We parked the 4WD on Clark Road and set up in the southern section of the
park.Â* We ran the Yaesu FT-857d, and the 15m dipole and 20/40/80m linked
dipole for this activation.

As this was another windy day, we positioned the 4WD to try to act as a
windbreak.
Above:- An aerial view of the park showing our operating spot.Â* Image
courtesy of Google Earth.

I called CQ on 7.144 and this was answered by Geoff VK3SQ, Ivan VK5HS, Rod
VK7FRJG and then Brett VK2VW.Â* It did not take long and I had qualified the
park for VKFF.Â* My tenth contact was with Gerard VK2IO.Â* Band conditions on
40m appeared to be quite good, with some strong signals.Â* It was pleasing
to see that close in propagation once again existed on the 40m band.

I logged a total of 29 stations on 40m from VK2, VK3, VK4, VK5, VK6, and
VK7, before swapping the mic with Marija.

Marijas first contact was with Les VK5KLV at Port Augusta, followed by Rob
VK2VH, Geoff VK3SQ, and then Adrian VK5FANA.Â* It took Marija just 5 minutes
to qualify the park, with contact number ten with Nev VK5WG in the Mid
North of South Australia.

Marija went on to work a total of 21 stations on 40m from VK2, VK3, VK4,
VK5, and VK7.

I again jumped into the operators chair and logged a further 10 stations.Â*
I was now just 5 QSOs from my 44 QSO target.Â* I moved to the 20m band and
logged a total of 9 stations from VK2, VK3, and VK4.Â* Contact number 44 was
with John VK4TJ.

I then moved to 80m and logged just the 3 contacts there, before we lowered
the squid pole and attached the 15m antenna.Â* Marija called CQ on 21.244
while I put up a spot on parksnpeaks.Â* It was great to see the 15m band
open again.Â* Marija logged a total of 10 stations, all from Queensland.

We packed up around 11.00 a.m. local time and headed to our next park, the
Gerang Gerung North Flora & Fauna Reserve.

Marija worked the following stations on 40m SSB:-

VK5KLV
VK2VH
VK4AAC/2
VK3SQ
VK5FANA
VK7OT
VK4NH
VK4DXA
ZL4TY/VK4
VK5WG
VK3BCM
VK2LX
VK2KYO
VK3PF
VK5HS
VK5ZLT
VK4TJ
VK4/AC8WN
VK4/VE6XT
VK4SSN
VK3MCK

Marija worked the following stations on 15m SSB:-

VK4TJ
VK4/AC8WN
VK4/VE6XT
VK4SSN
VK4NH
VK4DXA
ZL4TY/VK4
VK4RF
VK4HA
VK4HNS

I worked the following stations on 40m SSB:-

VK3SQ
VK5HS
VK7FRJG
VK2VW
VK3PF
VK3MCK
VK2VH
VK5FANA
VK2IO
VK3PWG
VK4NH
VK4DXA
ZL4TY/VK4
VK2YK
VK3ANP
VK3AHR
VK4TJ
VK4/AC8WN
VK4/VE6XT
VK4SSN
VK7OT
VK6MMB
VK5NAQ
VK2LX
VK5WG
VK5WU
VK5LA
VK5FLKJ
VK5KLV
VK3BCM
VK2KYO
VK5CZ
VK2STG
VK5NJ
VK5KLD
VK5GP
VK5MRD
VK3KAI
VK3GV

I worked the following stations on 20m SSB:-

VK3PF
VK3KAI
VK3GV
VK4TJ
VK4/AC8WN
VK4/VE6XT
VK4SSN
VK2VW
VK2IO

I worked the following stations on 80m SSB:-

VK5HS
VK3PF
VK5PL