Old December 11th 19, 04:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.dx,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default [VK5PAS] Kiata Flora and Fauna Reserve VKFF-2347

vk5pas

Kiata Flora and Fauna Reserve VKFF-2347

https://vk5pas.org/2019/12/10/kiata-...rve-vkff-2347/

Our final park for our trip away was the Kiata Flora & Fauna Reserve
VKFF-2347.Â* The park is located about 361 km northwest of the city of
Melbourne and 14km east of the town of Nhill.

Again this was to be another unique park activation for the World Wide
Flora Fauna (WWFF) program.

Above:- Map showing the location of the Kiata Flora and Fauna Reserve in
western Victoria.Â* Map courtesy of Protected Planet.

The park is located just south of the town of Kiata.Â* The name Kiata is
believed to have derived from an Aboriginal word describing summer heat.Â*
Much of the Kiata area was taken up for farm selections during the early
1870s.Â* TheÂ*township of Kiata was surveyed in 1876.Â* In 1879 the Kiata West
school was opened, and in 1881 the Kiata East school was opened.Â* In 1884
an Anglican church was opened.Â* The railway line was opened in 1887, and
later there was a hotel, a store and a blacksmith.

In 1903 Kiata was described in the Australian handbook:

Today Kiata is just a small settlement.Â* The former Little Desert Hotel is
now closed, while the school closed way back in 1968.

The park can be located just to the south of the town of Kiata on the
southern side of the Western Highway, the main highway between Adelaide and
Melbourne.

Above:- An aerial view of the Kiata Flora & Fauna Reserve looking west.Â*
Image courtesy of Google maps

The park is about 197 acres in size and conserves a small area of remnant
bushland which was previously widespread in western Victoria prior to the
area being cleared for farming by European settlers.

The park was alive with Rainbow Bee Eaters during our visit.Â* A number were
quite happy to sit up on branches just a short distance from where we were
operating.

We accessed the park via Kiata South Road.Â* We took a 4WD dirt track near
the cemetery.Â* We ran the Yaesu FT-857d and the 20/40/80m linked dipole for
this activation.

Above:- AN aerial view of the Kiata Flora & Fauna Reserve showing our
operating spot.Â* Image courtesy of Google Earth.

We only had a short time in Kiata, so I was hoping to whiz through the
contacts as quickly as possible.Â* I called CQ on 7.140 and this was
answered by Peter VK3PF who gave me his other two calls so I could reach
the 10 and 44 QSOs quicker.Â* This was followed by Ivan VK5HS, Rob VK2VH,
and then Ron VK3AHR.

Contact number ten came in just 5 minutes with a contact with John VK5NJ.Â*
I logged a total of 28 contacts on 40m before Marija jumped into the
operators chair.

Marijas first contact was with Adrian VK5FANA, followed by Ian VK5CZ/m,
John VK5NJ, and then Ray VK4NH.Â* Marijas tenth contact was with Peter
VK3KAI.Â* Marija logged 15 contacts and had qualified the park for VKFF, so
took control of the mic once again.

I logged a further 12 contacts on 40m from VK2, VK3, VK5, and VK7.Â* I now
had 40 contacts in the log and was just 4 QSOs short of the target of 44.Â*
I moved to the 20m band and logged 5 stations from VK2 and VK7.Â* My 44th
contact was with Adam VK6GA/2.

Marija worked the following stations on 40m SSB:-

VK5FANA
VK5CZ/m
VK5NJ
VK4NH
VK4DXA
ZL4TY/VK4
VK2LX
VK3GJC
VK3PF
VK3KAI
VK3GV
VK5PL
VK2IO
VK2VH
VK4AAC/2

I worked the following stations on 40m SSB:-

VK3PF
VK3KAI
VK3GV
VK5HS
VK2VH
VK4AAC/2
VK3AHR
VK2VW
VK5FANA
VK5NJ
VK5WG
VK2LX
VK4NH
VK4DXA
ZL4TY/VK4
VK5PL
VK4TJ
VK4/AC8WN
VK4/VE6XT
VK4SSN
VK3PAT
VK3SQ
VK3ATO
VK5KLV
VK3AXF
VK5WU
VK5LA
VK5CZ/m
VK5JN
VK2NJ/5
VK2UXO
VK5YX
VK7LG
VK7PSJ
VK3FKL
VK2PKT
VK5ZLG
VK3PWG
VK2YK
VK4FDJL/5

I worked the following stations on 20m SSB:-

VK2LX
VK2YK
VK7LG
VK6GA/2
VK2IO

We packed up and headed into the town of Nhill and went to the Australian
Pinball Museum.

The museum features pinball machines from a wide range of eras.

Some of the classic machines include Kiss (1979), Playboy (2002), and Star
Wars (2017).
Click to view slideshow.

The museum also features original pinball advertising memorabilia such as
original advertising flyers, posters, and promotional products.

Below are a few videos I took in the museum.

We continued west and into the little town of Keith.Â* It was just a little
before 6.00 p.m. local time and we planned on having a meal at the local
pub, so we had a bit of time to have a look around the town.Â* One of the
interesting sights in a landrover on a pole.

During the 1940s, the CSIRO found prosperity in the area. With the addition
of trace elements, the area became a very productive area. The AMP Society
funded the clearing of land to set up farming establishments.Â* There is
also a display telling the story of the AMP Land Development Scheme.

We had a look at Pilmore Park where you can find a memorial for Andy
Caldecott who was an off-road motorcycle racer.Â* He was born in Keith in
1964 and died in 2006 from a neck injury sustained in a crash in the Dakar
Rally.

In the park, you can also see a Centurion army tank which spent the
majority of its working life in the 1st Armoured Regiment and also saw
service in Vietnam from late 1969.

We enjoyed a beautiful meal at the Keith Hotel.Â* I had kangaroo which was
cooked to perfection, while Marija had salmon.

We continued west and stopped briefly at Culburra which was once a thriving
self-supporting township.Â* Today very little remains, but there is a very
interesting information board in the town which tells the story of the town.

We arrived home at around 9.00 p.m.

THANK YOU to everyone who called us during our 4 days away.Â* We had a lot
of fun.