Old March 24th 05, 04:57 AM
N1KI

Default So whats the problem?

We have skilled DX operators using state of the art equipment belting out CW
at 40 wpm or better. Add a little atmospheric noise, some QSB and QRN joining
in over a great distance and that 599 signal we are always reporting is more
like a 339 in most places. Then add to that the megacycle cops and the CQer's
and other assorted vermin who feel we won't adequately appreciate our contact
without thier assistance to overcome. It's amazing that anybody can hear
anything. And how many of us can really copy 40 WPM? As I get older, I see
more people are more concerned not with what they may be able to get but by
what they can keep others from getting. It would be interesting to me to know
how many of those trying so hard to wreck a frequency have already had a good
contact with the entity. Any thoughts on this rambling subject?
Old March 24th 05, 03:17 PM
Caveat Lector

"N1KI" wrote in message
[...]

Just my 2 IRC's worth.
I don't think there are very many trying to "wreck" the frequency, but it
only takes a few to really mess things up.
Such as the carrier throwers and the idiot that refuses to move off the DX
frequency (because he has a sked there every day)
Some cops mean well trying to get the numbnuts informed, but most just add
to the confusion.
And don't you love the big gun who makes the contact and sez "I worked u
yesterday and just wanted to see if I could break this pileup."

But over the last 30 years I don't see much change -- same o same o
But I guess that we ought to keep in mind that in any given pileup, there
are hundreds (sounds like thousands ?) of disciplined operators doing the
right thing.

As they sed in my Navy days, there is the ten percent that don't get the
word. And if they do -- don't understand it.

CL--
I doubt, therefore I might be !

Old March 25th 05, 08:12 PM
J. Mc Laughlin

While the use of a CW speed that is too fast for conditions is a problem, I
submit these problems too:

DX station does not finish a contact with the other station's call - there
are times when one can not be sure that a contact was made (I get confused
with N7TT (who is a DXer) and sometimes my call gets put down as N6TT)

DX station does not provide his/her call at reasonable intervals

Occasionally, a DX station does not use "split" operation

Calling stations call even when it is clear the DX station is working
someone else - because of the timing involved, this is going to happen once
in a while with any of us

Some DX stations do not understand propagation - certain parts of the world
may only have a narrow time window - this is seen dramatically when polar
region is between stations

All that said, and more could be said by us all, many DX stations perform an
excellent job of contacting the deserving and undeserving. Listing problems
may help.

73 and DX, Mac N8TT
--
J. Mc Laughlin; Michigan U.S.A.
Home:

Old March 25th 05, 10:35 PM
Caveat Lector

"J. Mc Laughlin" wrote in message
[...]

I guess all that is why they dubbed it "Amateur" Radio

How to conduct a DX operation is on the internet.
See URL:
http://www.guam.net/pub/midxa/nl/nl_apr98.html

How to work DX is in several books and the internet

http://www.algonet.se/~sm5arl/Pileup.html

http://home.alltel.net/johnshan/dx_ss_working.html

Great DX Books -- The complete DXer
http://www.idiompress.com/books-complete-dxer.html