Old January 27th 06, 03:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
David Thompson

Default 3V8 would not work Isreal Ham

I thought we were long past this but the German Group using 3V8DLH would not
work 4X1IO on 7062 SSB today at 0300Z. He said India Ocean go ahead but
when the station identified as 4X1IO (both stations were S9 in Atlanta) 3V8
came back on with
QRZ.

I know the DL hams were following the Tunesia rules but amateur radio should
be above politics!

Dave K4JRB

Old January 27th 06, 07:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

David Thompson wrote:

I know the DL hams were following the Tunesia rules but amateur radio should
be above politics!

They have to follow the local rules. If not they face arrest, deportation,
jail time and might prevent the future issuing of licenses to foreigners.

The last thing that any ham should do is to arrive in a foreign country,
set up a station and start breaking the local laws. It's bad for them
and it's bad for ham radio.

73,

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
The trouble with being a futurist is that when people get around to believing
you, it's too late. We lost. Google 2,000,000:Hams 0.
Old January 27th 06, 11:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Walt Davidson wrote:

By the way, Israel is not in the Indian Ocean ... so maybe that's why
they didn't answer the 4X1.

Officialy we're in southWEST Asia. Some people mistake us for being in
nothern Africa or southeast Europe. Or the elusive "Middle East".

Last I checked, we are a long way from the Indian Ocean.

It would like someone from Kansas aswering a CQ for the Atlanic coast.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Vist my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/
Old January 27th 06, 02:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
L. M. Rappaport

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 07:04:24 +0000, Walt Davidson
wrote (with possible editing):

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 03:15:01 GMT, "David Thompson"
wrote:

....snip

It's not so long ago that the USA had a list of "banned countries"
that USA radio amateurs were forbidded to communicate with.

73 de G3NYY

That's news to me. We had a list of countries with whom we were not
allowed to pass third party traffic, but those came about because the
banned countries prohibited third party traffic. I've been licensed
continuously since 1954, I may have missed this so-called ban, but I
don't think so. No flame,
--

73,
Larry W1HJF

Old January 27th 06, 04:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Peter Lemken

Walt Davidson wrote:

I recall there were still a few countries on the USA's "banned
countries list" in the early 1960s. Here in Europe, we always thought
that was rather strange, as we have always been free to communicate
with every country in the world.

Uhm, "Here we in Europe"? Have you gone imperial again? ;-O

Lots of former Eastern block states, including former Eastern Germany had
quite a considerable list of "banned countries", including your colony at
the Cape.

Peter Lemken
DF5JT
Berlin

--
Paul Lincke ist dem Zille sein Milhaud.

(Harry Rowohlt)

Old January 27th 06, 05:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Doug Smith W9WI

L. M. Rappaport wrote:
It's not so long ago that the USA had a list of "banned countries"
that USA radio amateurs were forbidded to communicate with.

That's news to me. We had a list of countries with whom we were not
allowed to pass third party traffic, but those came about because the
banned countries prohibited third party traffic. I've been licensed
continuously since 1954, I may have missed this so-called ban, but I
don't think so. No flame,

The list was -- and is -- for real.
http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_20...7cfr97.111.htm

FCC regulation 97.111(a)(1) which states in part:
"(a) An amateur station may transmit the following types of two-way
communications:
(1) Transmissions necessary to exchange messages with other stations
in the amateur service, except those in any country whose administration
has given notice that it objects to such communications. The FCC will
issue public notices of current arrangements for international
communications;"

So the banned list actually still exists, just that it's empty as no
administration has currently notified the FCC that it objects to amateur
communications with the USA.

ISTR when I got my first license in 1973 there were three countries on
the banned list. North Korea and China were two, I forget who the third
was. In any case there were no ham stations in any of the listed
countries so the FCC regulation really had no effect...
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Ham stuff for sale:
http://www.w9wi.com/articles/4sale.htm

Old January 27th 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Wes Stewart

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 17:36:14 GMT, Doug Smith W9WI
wrote:

L. M. Rappaport wrote:
[...]

On a marginally related note, when I was employed at a defense
contractor, some years ago, the countries of the Soviet Union, China,
etc, were called "designated countries."

We were supposed to report any contact with citizens of those
countries to our Security office. I had a friend in the office and I
asked him once whether I had to report every QSO I had with UA, etc.

He said, no, only if you discuss where you work or what you do, with
him. I said, fine, but what happens when I have just had a QSO with
someone else, with whom such conversations are not banned and the UA
was listening and breaks in.

He grumbled and told me to go away.

Old January 27th 06, 11:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Dan/W4NTI

wrote:

...snip

It's not so long ago that the USA had a list of "banned countries"
that USA radio amateurs were forbidded to communicate with.

73 de G3NYY

That's news to me. We had a list of countries with whom we were not
allowed to pass third party traffic, but those came about because the
banned countries prohibited third party traffic. I've been licensed
continuously since 1954, I may have missed this so-called ban, but I
don't think so. No flame,
--

73,
Larry W1HJF

We most certainly DID have a banned country list. Off the top of my head I
remember the following;

CUBA
Vietnam
China
etc. etc.

Dan/W4NTI

Old January 28th 06, 01:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Barry

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 23:52:55 GMT, "Dan/W4NTI"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Dan,
You are correct. I remember, too. Boy, I must be getting old...
BTW, Dave, JRB, 4X is spelled IsrAEl.
73,
Barry W2UP
--
Note - Remove the X from my e-mail address for direct replies
Old January 28th 06, 08:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Bob

It might have just been propagation. He may not have heard the 4X even
though you did.

How to work satelites? [email protected] General 3 December 13th 04 08:28 PM
Best Home Base Work Reynard Policy 0 November 9th 04 04:54 PM
Here it is-BPL full rollout in Va Brian Kelly Policy 459 December 2nd 03 12:40 PM
R/S Solderless BNC Connectors: How Can They Possibly Work Well ? Robert11 Antenna 10 November 22nd 03 11:46 PM
Geller Media [email protected] Broadcasting 0 September 19th 03 09:03 PM