Old January 21st 04, 08:05 AM
David L Thompson

Default Why is USA discriminated against on SSB??

This started out as my yearly complaint against 40 SSB operation but I
started thinking about why the uSA should still be discriminated against on
SSB on virtually all HF bands.

I understand that years ago Dx stations ran very modest rigs and often did
not have antennas
to compete with most USA stations. But today there is absolutely no reason
for safe harbor for DX.

Tonight and early this AM I listened to HF0QF work DX on 40 SSB. I and
several other USA stations started calling him on CW asking him to listen up
for USA. I know he heard us because
he was S8 to 9 here and only S5 to 6 in Europe. One W3 asked I2ZGC who was
helping him why he never listened up. He told him his signal was good and
next time USA won't have as much patience and will put a CW pile up on his
frequency.

All I want is to have a chance to work SSB DX on 40. Dxpeditions usually
listen up (those who say QRM is too much will not wash!!!). Many of us use
beams and quads so we can make it through. All Dx stations (rare and semi
rare) should give some time to working USA on 40 SSB split up. Otherwise
someone will propose that we be able to operate on 7050 to 7100 SSB and this
time the FCC will listen as they are into deregulation.

My two cents worth
Dave K4JRB

Old January 21st 04, 02:43 PM
Doug Smith W9WI

David L Thompson wrote:
All I want is to have a chance to work SSB DX on 40. Dxpeditions usually
listen up (those who say QRM is too much will not wash!!!). Many of us use
beams and quads so we can make it through. All Dx stations (rare and semi
rare) should give some time to working USA on 40 SSB split up. Otherwise
someone will propose that we be able to operate on 7050 to 7100 SSB and this
time the FCC will listen as they are into deregulation.

- The eventual clearing of broadcasting from 7100-7200 will go a long
way to fix this. (I might venture a guess that many DX stations don't
listen up because they can't find a receive frequency that's clear
enough to be comfortable to monitor. If one thinks the SWBC signals are
L-O-U-D over here, imagine what they must be like in most DX locations!)

- Would you still be able to hear the DX in 7050-7100 if it were legal
for USA stations to transmit there? My bet is that the segment would
"silt up" with people who are working 75m right now because they can't
deal with the BC QRM. The segment would be full of medium-range QSOs
within the U.S..

- In the meantime, datamode operation would be driven down by QRM. We'd
start seeing digital signals all the way down to 7020 or even lower.
(might start making it rather difficult to hear the *CW* DX...)

- Then wait for the CQ WW CW and watch all h**l break loose...
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old January 21st 04, 09:07 PM
Derek Wills

next time USA won't have as much patience and will put
a CW pile up on his frequency.

And then you wonder why someone might not bother
to listen for Ws through all the BCI?

A local DXer has worked almost every DXCC country on
40m SSB in 15 yrs or so, 'nuff said,

Derek aa5bt

Old January 21st 04, 09:53 PM
Dee D. Flint

"David L Thompson" wrote in message
link.net...
[...]

It would not be practical to let the USA SSB operators into 7.050 to 7.100
along with all the digital communications that go there too. That's too
narrow a band for so many people. However the last international conference
decreed that the foreign broadcasts must move out of 7.100 to 7.200 within
just a few years and that this segment will also become exclusively amateur
world wide. At that time, the USA and the rest of the world will have a
common SSB segment from 7.150 to 7.200 that will not be crowding the digital
folks. Hopefully the amateur community will continue its work and get the
rest of what the US enjoys (up to 7.300) also allocated to amateurs world
wide.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old January 22nd 04, 01:10 AM

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 08:05:30 GMT, "David L Thompson"
wrote:

All Dx stations (rare and semi rare) should give some time
to working USA on 40 SSB split up.

I think all DX stations that pay for their own radio and put up
their own antenna should operate where and how they damn
well please......

73, Jim KH2D