Old April 27th 06, 08:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Pat Whelton

Default Namibia - V51AS QSL

Anyone know the secret to getting a card from V51AS? I worked this guy on
40 meters in February of 2004, 2005 and 2006. I've sent cards via the
bureau, via WF5E and direct with green stamps. I have yet to receive a card
back. I've heard the Postal System in Namibia is known for pilfering the
mails. Can Certified Mail be sent overseas? If you have Frank's card how
did you do it?

Old April 28th 06, 04:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Win

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 19:26:43 GMT, "Pat Whelton"
wrote:

Anyone know the secret to getting a card from V51AS? I worked this guy on
40 meters in February of 2004, 2005 and 2006. I've sent cards via the
bureau, via WF5E and direct with green stamps. I have yet to receive a card
back. I've heard the Postal System in Namibia is known for pilfering the
mails. Can Certified Mail be sent overseas? If you have Frank's card how
did you do it?

Worked him in 2001 on 10 SSB, and received a card direct. Don't
remember if I did anything special. I usually do two well hidden green
stamps and put no calls on the envelopes.

Win, w0lz
Old April 28th 06, 11:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Barry

wrote:

Anyone know the secret to getting a card from V51AS? I worked this guy on
40 meters in February of 2004, 2005 and 2006. I've sent cards via the
bureau, via WF5E and direct with green stamps. I have yet to receive a card
back. I've heard the Postal System in Namibia is known for pilfering the
mails. Can Certified Mail be sent overseas? If you have Frank's card how
did you do it?

This came up recently on the DX-CHAT reflector. Most people never get
a response, even with Registered Mail. Pilfering may be the excuse,
but it's no excuse for someone in a country with unreliable mail
service to not use a QSL manager. There are plenty of volunteers out
there.

My advice is to work another V5. It's not THAT rare a country.
Barry W2UP
--
Note - Remove the X from my e-mail address for direct replies
Old April 28th 06, 12:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
IZ2EJU

"Pat Whelton" ha scritto nel messaggio
ink.net...
Anyone know the secret to getting a card from V51AS?

Maybe I am lucky, I worked him 3 times and got 3 cards; I sent direct QSL
with GS.

73 from Rik IZ2EJU

Old April 28th 06, 06:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
gm4uzy599

I tried twice by mail with GS and IRC's with no result.

Tried again using registered mail with 2 GS and got card back in two weeks.

It does state on QRZ.com to use registered mail only

Good luck

73 de Charlie GM4UZY.

ink.net...

Old May 6th 06, 12:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
KA3ARF

I sent two or three QSLs direct and received replies via the buro. I can
only think of three reasons why this happened.

1. I sent one instead of two dollars to cover return postage.
2. Since his QSL card is oversized, the s.a.s.e. I sent was too small.
3. And I really hate to say this - he replied via the buro and pocketed the
cash.

This isn't the only station I've seen do this. Has anyone else had a similar
experience with this station?
I just recently sent a QSL to confirm an 80 meter QSO.

KA3ARF - Marc

Old May 6th 06, 01:53 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Bob Nielsen

4. Someone stole the money but your card still made it to Frank.

I have had this happen (not with V51AS).

Old May 6th 06, 10:12 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
KA3ARF

Ah hah. That never occured to me. Well....I guess I can expect to go through
the same thing with this most recent QSL.
Oh well - better late than never.

news

Old May 11th 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx

Pat Whelton wrote:
Anyone know the secret to getting a card from V51AS?

I worked him in '99, got a card direct in 5 weeks.

Someone else mentioned the golden rules for this sort of
QSLing; no callsigns on the envelope, and include enough
in the way of return postage that you're not asking the
other guy to lose money by QSLing. Back when I was
actively QSLing, I usually sent two "green stamps" for
something like V5, or maybe three for a DXpedition,
AND a SASE if that was possible.

I used to use some outdated envelopes from work that
were to be thrown away; neatly laser-printed with a
printed sheet (old tax forms, printouts from a website,
page from a catalog, ANYTHING) wrapped around the QSL
and SASE and green stamps--so anybody trying to read
through the envelope saw something that had NOTHING
to do with radio. :-)

Things may be worse in V5 these days--hope your luck
changes soon! :-)

Ken Kuzenski AC4RD ken . kuzenski at duke .edu
All disclaimers apply, see? www.duke.edu/~kuzen001