Old July 17th 04, 06:08 AM
Doug Smith W9WI

Default Mt. Athos return postage?

Heard Mt. Athos for the first time ever in 30+ years of radio on Sunday
evening -- and managed to work him.

Are green stamps appropriate here? 2 enough? IRCs a better idea?
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old July 17th 04, 06:58 AM
Peter Dougherty

Doug Smith W9WI said :

Heard Mt. Athos for the first time ever in 30+ years of radio on Sunday
evening -- and managed to work him.

Are green stamps appropriate here? 2 enough? IRCs a better idea?

I sent along $2 and an SAE a couple of months ago and received a
surprisingly-fast reply. I think $1 may do it, but for Mount Athos and
Monk Apollo, I really didn't want to take the chance on fluctuating
exchange rates or the ease of converting US currency in his part of
the world.

You would likely be quite successful witha Greek mint stamp as well.

Congrats.

73 de Peter, W2IRT
(ex-AB2NZ, VE3THX)

Please reply to Double-you Two Eye Are Tee at Arrl.net

Old July 17th 04, 08:33 AM
Helmut

Congrats, Doug, well done,

It is one of the rare times, he is active AND conx are ok.

As Mt. Athos is part of Greece, and Greece is member of the European Union,
their currency is EURO. As you might not get EUROS in your neck of the wood,
two bucks will do. The regular airmail fee from EU to US is 1,12 Euros,
which is converted by todays exchange rate 1.4 US Dollars. He will not have
any problems to get the money changed, as there will be thousends of foreign
people visit Greece next month, and I am sure they are prepared to receive
foreign currency.

Good luck and good DX
73 de OE8SOQ
Helmut

Old July 17th 04, 08:33 AM
Helmut

Old July 17th 04, 05:14 PM
Peter Dougherty

"Helmut" said :

Congrats, Doug, well done,

It is one of the rare times, he is active AND conx are ok.

As Mt. Athos is part of Greece, and Greece is member of the European Union,
their currency is EURO. As you might not get EUROS in your neck of the wood,
two bucks will do.

The problem with sending a Euro thrugh the mail is it's a coin, not a
bank note, and one runs the inherent risk of having the letter
pilfered.

The regular airmail fee from EU to US is 1,12 Euros

Remember, though, each nation in the EU sets its own postage rates
(for now, anyway). Spain is a low 0,77 Euros and Germany is 1,55 Euros
(to North America).

I just looked at the envelope I received from Monk Apollo a couple of
months ago and it was posted with a 0,65 Euro stamp, so, in threory,
$1 would do fine.

Old July 18th 04, 06:27 PM
Helmut

"Peter Dougherty" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
| "Helmut" said :
|
| Congrats, Doug, well done,
|
| It is one of the rare times, he is active AND conx are ok.
|
| As Mt. Athos is part of Greece, and Greece is member of the European
Union,
| their currency is EURO. As you might not get EUROS in your neck of the
wood,
| two bucks will do.
|
| The problem with sending a Euro thrugh the mail is it's a coin, not a
| bank note, and one runs the inherent risk of having the letter
| pilfered.

You are right, Peter, but to support the monks on Mt. Athos, a 5er will be
ok, Unfortunately for many of us here is the smallest bill.

| The regular airmail fee from EU to US is 1,12 Euros
|
| Remember, though, each nation in the EU sets its own postage rates
| (for now, anyway). Spain is a low 0,77 Euros and Germany is 1,55 Euros
| (to North America).

Did not realize, that it's so cheap down there. Just took the average from
here around. I did know it is quite costly to mail from Germany

| I just looked at the envelope I received from Monk Apollo a couple of
| months ago and it was posted with a 0,65 Euro stamp, so, in threory,
| $1 would do fine.

Yeah, One Dollar would be sufficient.

73 and good DX
OE8SOQ